1/72 Sword U-125A - Kanryō

Dermo245

Konnichi wa shinai naru modeler! 

I'm going to jump in with this one..

51995763177_50b816b180_b.jpgSword_U-125A_JASDF_Box_top by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Will be OOB, built in the 40 year anniversary scheme.

51997040689_d772c11cd7_b.jpgSword_U-125A_JASDF_Box_rear by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Good luck with your builds.

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Completed!
  • Like 10

Welcome along Dermot and what a lovely choice!!

Gosh I love the schemes, she will be a very colourful addition to the gallery.

It should be an interesting model to build and see being build, Sword can turn our some nice models.

Good luck with the build, looking forward to seeing her built.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Great choice Dermot. I was considering doing this one ( I have 2 of these in the stash), glad you are taking it on. I can build something else.

:popcorn:

Sorry about that Ray 😐…looking forward to your Gulftstream! 

17 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Sorry about that Ray 😐…looking forward to your Gulftstream! 

No apologies necessary Dermot, you got in first! It was an outside chance of being built by me, I decided on the G-IV but a P-3 and YS-11 were also on the cards.

• Like 1

Don't sweat it Dermot, there is no rule that says someone can't build the same subject as someone else.  If he really wanted to build it, there is nothing stopping him.  ;) 

It is a handy "excuse" that I use for myself to whittle down options on a pretty regular basis.  :whistle:

• Thanks 2

On 4/16/2022 at 6:22 PM, helios16v said:

Don't sweat it Dermot, there is no rule that says someone can't build the same subject as someone else.  If he really wanted to build it, there is nothing stopping him.  ;) 

It is a handy "excuse" that I use for myself to whittle down options on a pretty regular basis.  :whistle:

Your right Chris, I could build it if I wanted, but am preoccupied with my first chosen build. Plus I find I am loosing interest in what I start pretty quickly theses days and I could plus the UC-125 out and have a go.

Mind you I still have 2 Matchbox Hs-125 on the bench for the Matchbox GB which I have no inclination to finish at the moment.

• Like 2

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this one. I was thinking about building it too - I remember seeing it, unpainted, at Woodford for flight testing - but I'm going to add to the bizjets in this GB with a Learjet instead, for now at least.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So a little bit done here.

Front cockpit and rear cabin. OOB except for some tape for belts. It's a little on the dark side but hardly any of this will be seen when buttoned up.

52123945367_e8ccd084ee_b.jpgSword_U-125A_Wip_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

52125000193_f008936d48_b.jpgSword_U-125A_Wip_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Some weight in the nose.

52125468600_c21d7b2866_b.jpgSword_U-125A_Wip_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And all buttoned up. My first time building a Sword kit and took my time as there are no locating pins or tabs. The wing to fuselage fit took some fettling, especially at the back end where the wing meets the fuselage.

52123944762_c7c9648eac_b.jpgSword_U-125A_Wip_4 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

More soon, thanks for looking!
Dermot

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all and primer on followed by Silver on the wing and tail leading edges and then masked.

52174924334_4787cca72c_b.jpgSword_U-125A_Wip_7 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And while I was doing white for the u/c bays,, I tried to add some highlights to help with the final colour.

52173649852_eb7dae32f9_b.jpgSword_U-125A_Wip_8 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 7

Thanks all.

Underside was sprayed first - the instructions call for "Sky Light Grey" so I went with Tamiya Sky XF-19.  Maybe not quite 100% compared to the real thing but I can live with it.

Then masked and the top was done - instructions say Light Blue-Grey but I went with a more blue than grey if you know what I mean. This is XF-2 White with some drops of XF-8 Blue added.

52177878727_9fcc69d37e_b.jpgSword_U-125A_Wip_10 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Happy with that! Will let it sit for a day and then gloss with Klear.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 8

So started the decals last night.

First problem is that the numbers on the decal sheet don't match those on the instructions which is a bit of a pain, especially with stencils, etc.

And while they are beautifully printed by Techmod, I found them to be insanely delicate, especially where they wrap around the engine pods. Multiple cracks and splintering. Oh well, will have touch up with paint as best as I can.

52191560567_5f5d34cd77_b.jpgSword_U-125A_Wip_11 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Hope it gets better from here!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 7

And the decals are done.

52202602144_146f132936_b.jpgSword_U-125A_Wip_12 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Considering how much the engine pod decals cracked, I'm happy how they turned out in the end - a lot of the curved sections were repaired with Revell Aqua Color Ultramarine Blue 36151 which seemed a really close match.  Will post some more pictures of that later.

Gloss coat next tonight.

Thanks for looking,

Dermot

• Like 5

On 7/8/2022 at 6:20 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thats not good Ive got a good number of their sets, I hope its a one off. 

So for me, the main issue was on the curved engine nacelles...any decals on a flat surface were grand, no bother. It's also a large single piece decal so maybe that's a factor in it.

The decals also don't cover the whole nacelle and it's not entirely clear from the instructions whether you paint the remainder or not - I left them as is and the model will be displayed on its gear, not in flight.

52207633877_930a760f08_c.jpgSword_U-125A_Wip_13 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The top side where the decals curve down to meet the fuselage mounting also didn't fit very well.  Wow - the Macro really shows off how bad my finish is!!

52208909919_6fd3662451_c.jpgSword_U-125A_Wip_14 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Still enjoying it and looks great from across the room 😂

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 7

It looks really good Dermot. Yeah any photos usually always show up the worst little things even though they are hardly evident by eye. 

Perhaps cutting the decals into pieces would have been the way to go in this case?

• Like 1