Storing SuperGlue

Bob_C

Can anyone give any suggestions on the best way to keep CA.

I have tried many different types and eventually, no matter how carefully I try to keep the nozzles clean they always clog and harden.

I have recently tried to decant my latest bottle into a Tamiya paint jar after the nozzle completely blocked. This was OK - applying the CA with a suitable cocktail stick. But after about 2 days the CA was the

consistency of treacle. Now its solid.

Another half used bottle in the bin.

Any suggestions most welcome.

I put them in the fridge when I knew I would pause on my builds - but the problem remains, only that it takes a bit longer. In the end I stopped buying the plastic bottles and get my super glue from the "pound stores" here. You get about 6 or 8 tubes for 2 Euros or so - in the end a much better price as I usually use the tubes up before they are unusable.

Another vote for the fridge, especially for unopened bottles.

I also agree about buying the cheap tubes, though I don’t actually do that. I generally buy the Rocket or Zap-a-Gap branded bottles. The Zap bottles have an inner cap that clicks onto the main nozzle. Keeping the nozzle clean and clear of encrusted glue, and making sure the inner cap clicks when you put it back really helps the longevity of the contents. It’s something to do with air in the bottle, as well as keeping humidity levels constant.

I always decant a drop or two of glue into a sacrificial plastic tray, clean the bottle nozzle and replace the caps straight away, then use a cocktail stick or bit of thin wire to apply the glue to the job.

I bought some Bob Smith glue a couple of years ago and so far they are still useable. I store them on my workbench, or sometimes in a cupboard if they are not going to be used for a while.

As @Heather Kay notes, keeping the nozzle clean helps and always decant a small amount for use. Never leave with the cap off for any length of time.

/P

• Like 1

Another vote for Poundland superglue.  As @Caerbannog points out, 6 tubes for a pound.

I smear some Vaseline on the threads and nozzle. Superglue can't stick to that - so it wipes off easily.

I try to keep the tube upright, with the nozzle empty, to avoid it clogging up - but sometimes have to stick a paperclip in to unclog. 

29 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

stick a paperclip in to unclog. 

Same here - or bang in a sewing needle but by that point it's near the end. Didn't know the fridge trick. I'll give that a go. And look out for some really cheap stuff.

Mark

1 hour ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Another vote for Poundland superglue.  As @Caerbannog points out, 6 tubes for a pound.

I smear some Vaseline on the threads and nozzle. Superglue can't stick to that - so it wipes off easily.

I try to keep the tube upright, with the nozzle empty, to avoid it clogging up - but sometimes have to stick a paperclip in to unclog. 

Vaseline!  I've used Poundland glue for a while, although I've gone for the 3-pack myself,(although I think it might have been discontinued) and thoroughly clean the little plastic cap (not screw on) but sometimes I don't do it well enough, but  annoyingly I'd  not thought of Vaseline!  of COURSE it would stop the cap sticking to the spout. I wish I'd thought of it!  well  done plastic surgeon.  

• Thanks 1

In an ideal world, the fridge will keep the glue from setting up too fast in its bottle, but I find that a bit inconweenient.  I buy 20g bottles off eBay or from the builder's merchant if I get chance to go there, and leave the lid off.  I decant the glue onto an old Pringles lid for use (I have a poly bag full, but don't eat Pringles any more), and leave the glue bottle on my workbench open to the air.  Any build-up around the nozzle can be twisted off gently with a pair of small pliers, and I've never once had the nozzle clog up irretrievably, so it can't be a bad way of doing it.  Also, the glue stays liquid for 6 months to a year, getting ever-so-slowly a bit more viscous until you notice.  It's so cheap though that it's not worth worrying about :shrug: If you visit the builder's merchant, you can usually pick up a 20g bottle for a couple of quid, and if that lasts a year, it's all good ^_^

Thanks for all the useful tips.

I think I'm going for the Poundland option in future. I can get 2 small tubes for £1 locally.

Cheers all.

I buy little tubes like this, at the grocery store up the street. I wipe the tip off after use, with a bit of paper towel dampened with acetone-based nail polish remover. 

I also make sure to clean around the little metal needle on the cap. I keep it stored in the clear tube it comes in. This particular tube of glue is at least 4 years old and was still okay at least use, about 6 months ago.

Also, when finished using it, I hold the vial tip-up, then squeeze the side, to make sure there is no glue in the tip before putting the cap back on.

49593842711_1cf6bfe36f_z.jpg

Chris