1/48 Tamiya Bf109G-6 JG54 "Yellow 9"

Hi folks!

Just wrapped this one up over the weekend. Having a closet full of Eduard 109's, I was a little worried that I would be spoiled by the Tamiya kit and not like the Eduard kit so much. To my relief, I found the Tamiya kit to be a bit over-engineered and a bit simplistic with many of the details. If you want to build one with the engine displayed this is surely the easiest path but I like my models closed up. I do love the design of the canopy though and some things I learned from this kit will change the way I build my Eduard 109's.

1/48 Tamiya Bf109G-6
9./JG54, "Yellow 9"
Ludwigslust, Germany Spring 1944

Yahu instrument panel
BarracudaCast seat
BarracudaCast wheels
BarracudaCast tall tail conversion
Albion Alloys gun barrels
EagleCals decals
AK Real Colors paints

Anyway, on to the pics!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

• Like 56
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful build, so clean. Interesting what you say about over-engineered, you'd almost expect that to be more of an Eduard characteristic. I been thoroughly enjoying the Tamiya 1/72 version,

The mottle is wonderful, I'll be referring back to this next I do one!

• Like 1

I think Tamiya focused too much on the option to display the engine and alternate cowlings attached with magnets that could be swapped out to have it open or closed. It felt very much like building a small version of their 1/32 kits, but less detailed. The 1/72 kit is more the breakdown I would expect from a 1/48 kit, aside from the molded closed slats and flaps. As it is, it just feels so gimmicky and that design time could have been better used on surface detail. But what do I know? Haha

If I could pick three things from the design of the Tamiya kit and put them into the Eduard kit, it would be the attachment of the slats, canopy, and landing gear. That would be my ideal 109 kit.

Edited by Brewer

It turns out fantastic! Very nice photography too! Built that one some years ago and had a lot fun. Must be somewhere here in my topic!

Thx for sharing!

Andy 

Thanks everyone!

5 minutes ago, Toryu said:

That's an outstanding model! And a beautiful base to go with it. How do you get the panel lines so thinly painted?

I use AK Paneliners washes. I cover the whole model, one section at a time, with the wash and then wipe away the excess with a lint-free cloth

• Thanks 2