Thomsonfly 757 & 767 (first post)

Hi Everyone

Sure I'm not the only one, but got into modelling during the pandemic to stop myself going mad. Us pilots were regularly locked up around the world in various countries & hotels & sometimes quarantined back on arrival.

I decided to make a model of every type of aircraft I've been lucky enough to fly so far in my career, these are the first 2 that I've finished building. 

These are also the first models I've made since I was about 12, I know they're not a patch on some of the fantastic ones I've seen on here but I did my best 😅
And yes I made some stupid mistakes, which I'm sure you guys will spot.
The 757 was modified with some flaps by LACI with decals from Draw Decal, the 767 decals are from 26 decals 

Any comments welcome as I'm a complete beginner and looking to learn from the vast experience on here 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png\

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 51

You mentioned these are the first since you were 12 years ?

Cant see any flaws on them,superbly build models in attractive,and difficult to paint,liveries

👍👍👏

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RCI said:

nice job and welcome! i guess that 767 was mandatory as you went for MFF with that rating :D wish i could have flown one of them...

Thank you

Yes they were very nice to fly, the 757 especially
Still have a 737 and a B777 to finish building yet 

5 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Very nice - particularly as they're your first for many years. I'd be very happy with that.

Welcome to our community, too!

Thanks for the kind words, yes I am very happy with them.

But when I look at some of the models posted on here, they're a different level 

3 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

You mentioned these are the first since you were 12 years ?

Cant see any flaws on them,superbly build models in attractive,and difficult to paint,liveries

👍👍👏

Very Kind thank you

Funnily enough being new, I didn't realise how tough the livery would be to paint 😅
Although it was chosen for me, as I'm making the jets I've flown

2 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Wow! Your first models since you were 12! Very impressive. They are both great looking and if there is anything wrong with them, it's very minor and not worth worrying about. Keep up the good work. 

Thank you

Forgetting the coroguard on the bottom of the wing on the 767 is the big one 🤣
I also got one of the tow bar limit lines the wrong way round as forgot I had to make a left and a right version 😬

1 hour ago, Viking said:

Very nice models, in one of the most difficult liveries to paint.  

Cheers

John

Thank you kind sir

As a said previously glad I painted these as a newbie, I had no idea it would be so difficult to paint. Lost count of how many times I re-did the curved masking, trying to get smooth symmetrical curves 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rudi said:

Nice looking models Olly. 

just out of interest, what paints did you use for the 2 blues?

Thank you

I used a custom mix of mission model paints, I can lookup the ratios if you want.

I cant guarantee the accuracy though, was purely a match by eye.

Hi Olly - if you have the colours and ratios easily to hand, that would be most useful.

I've been trying to find Xtracolor X556 (Thomson's Dark Blue) for ages, but it's sold out everywhere I've looked and Hannants suggested they probably won't do another batch...so mixes will be the order of the day!

many thanks.

Dave R.

22 minutes ago, rudi said:

Hi Olly - if you have the colours and ratios easily to hand, that would be most useful.

I've been trying to find Xtracolor X556 (Thomson's Dark Blue) for ages, but it's sold out everywhere I've looked and Hannants suggested they probably won't do another batch...so mixes will be the order of the day!

many thanks.

Dave R.

Sure no problem, like I said don't know how accurate they are though 😅

Thomson Medium blue = MMP White 20drops MMP Mecha Blue 15drops 4:3 

Thomson Light Blue (Tailfin) = MMP White 20drops MMP Mecha Blue 4 5:1 (roughly)

Thomson Dark Blue = MMP Blue 20drops MMP Black 10drops 2:1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A very warm welcome to Britmodeller (Civil Aviation Division) Olly.

If that's your first attempt I can't wait until you hit your stride! What a pair of beauties. Thanks also for the colour mixes which will be handy if I ever get round to a TUI Max 8.

My one suggestion would be to check out the cockpit and cabin window decals available from Authentic Airliner Decals in Germany. Whether window decals or transparent windows are more realistic is a matter on which reasonable people can hold opposing views but personally I'm an unrepentant decal user. That's mainly because I'm lazy but it also makes life a lot easier if you're building something like the 763 which I think had at least five possible combinations of doors and windows even before the airlines started plugging windows to suit their own needs.

Dave G 🇺🇦

• Like 1

Welcome to Britmodeller Olly!

For first attempts they are outstanding so I can only imagine the quality when you have a few more under your belt!

lovely livery on those birds too!

Dave is right about the Authentic Airliner decals.  They look fantastic and I’d use them on all my model aircraft if I could afford to as they give the models that extra look of realism without being cartoonish.

Look forward to seeing more!

Hi Olly

They are both excellent - very well done.  I especially like the job you've done on the flaps & slats on the 757 - that isn't an easy job from my experience.

Brilliant

Cheers

Tim

20 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

A very warm welcome to Britmodeller (Civil Aviation Division) Olly.

If that's your first attempt I can't wait until you hit your stride! What a pair of beauties. Thanks also for the colour mixes which will be handy if I ever get round to a TUI Max 8.

My one suggestion would be to check out the cockpit and cabin window decals available from Authentic Airliner Decals in Germany. Whether window decals or transparent windows are more realistic is a matter on which reasonable people can hold opposing views but personally I'm an unrepentant decal user. That's mainly because I'm lazy but it also makes life a lot easier if you're building something like the 763 which I think had at least five possible combinations of doors and windows even before the airlines started plugging windows to suit their own needs.

Dave G 🇺🇦

Thanks for the welcome Dave
I will definitely checkout those decals, thanks for the suggestion

20 hours ago, BluesModeller said:

Welcome to Britmodeller Olly!

For first attempts they are outstanding so I can only imagine the quality when you have a few more under your belt!

lovely livery on those birds too!

Dave is right about the Authentic Airliner decals.  They look fantastic and I’d use them on all my model aircraft if I could afford to as they give the models that extra look of realism without being cartoonish.

Look forward to seeing more!

Thanks
Yes will definitely checkout Authentic Airliners.

As for improving my models, that will be the hard part 😅

18 hours ago, Timo said:

Hi Olly

They are both excellent - very well done.  I especially like the job you've done on the flaps & slats on the 757 - that isn't an easy job from my experience.

Brilliant

Cheers

Tim

Yes was more difficult than I was expecting, but I think they look good and are worth the effort.
I found the most difficult bit was getting a seamless join without loosing to much detail on the wings

17 hours ago, SAT69 said:

If this is what you do as a beginner, then I'm a pre-beginner. I am VERY impressed with your work!

Very kind thank you
Pretty much everything I picked up was from looking at other peoples builds on here or youtube. So cant really claim I figured it all out myself 

16 hours ago, Ben Hartmann said:

Hi Olly! 

Pleased to worked on both airframes during my time with Thomson / TUI at Hangar 61, Luton. Your models look fantastic! 

Best Regards

Ben

spacer.png

Thanks Ben

I remember ferrying an empty 767 to LTN from MAN once for maintenance, the Engine anti is was MEL'D so we had to take off with full thrust completely empty 🚀🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Outstanding efforts, nowt wrong with either of those! Two of my fave airliners and loved working on both of those when BA still had them.

Eng

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Can't believe I missed these first time around.  What a lovely pair.

I'm with Dave on the window decal issue.  They're certainly worth considering.

Thanks for posting.

Chris.