Nakajima Shisei Kikka FineMolds 1/48

drdjp11

Welcome along with a great choice!!!

I was just looking at this model online last night, as I have the old full resin one from Raccoon Models.

It is an interesting aircraft and I am glad we have one in the GB..... in a moment of madness (a common thing for me) I was thinking of building mine later too, but I may have something else in mind now.

Good luck with the build, I'm very interested to see how this model builds up.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Welcome along with a great choice!!!

I was just looking at this model online last night, as I have the old full resin one from Raccoon Models.

It is an interesting aircraft and I am glad we have one in the GB..... in a moment of madness (a common thing for me) I was thinking of building mine later too, but I may have something else in mind now.

Good luck with the build, I'm very interested to see how this model builds up.

I'll do a sprue by sprue photo shoot so you can see what it's like before the starting gun.

I've heard great things about FineMolds. so really looking forward to this.

• Like 1

OK, here are some pix of the box contents.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The wing pieces: Nice detail. The plastic looks very soft.

spacer.png

And the fuselage (don't worry the other piece of the horizontal tail is loose in the box). There's more flash on these parts than I'm used to seeing, which is a bit of a surprise.

spacer.png

And the rest of the major pieces:

spacer.png

And finally, the transparency, the decals and the nice hefty bolt for a nose weight (provided in box).

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Matchbox GB over, other stuff to do, let's see if I can get this one done in a month.

Nice cockpit detail, and a giant nut and bolt provided for nose ballast. Very nice.

spacer.png

And a close up of the cockpit side wall interior detail...

spacer.png

• Like 7

A little progress. 

Nose gear bay in place with nose weight firmly glued on.

spacer.png

Cockpit put together and IJN cockpit green applied.

spacer.png

The good thing about this kit is there isn't much need for weathering, given it only made two flights, the second of which ended in ignominy.

• Like 5

Lots of bits ready for assembly. Interior painting done, as much as makes sense.

Nacelles almost ready to go together, wings together, RATO units assembled (minus exhausts so far). Should go together pretty quickly, then we'll see about seams etc.

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

More progress on this. Major assembly done. The fit was OK, but not great, and the locating pins for the fuselage halves were surprisingly useless.

spacer.png

The fuselage joins around the cockpit are a little ragged.

spacer.png

it doesn't look like much from this angle, but lots to fill on the wing/body join.

spacer.png

• Like 4

So, as I was just starting to get ready to drive this to the finish line, I discovered that I was missing one of the horizontal tailplanes. It came off the sprue early on and I was sure it was in the box, but nope. It will be lurking somewhere, but I decided the only way forward was to make a new one. Here's where plastic card comes in handy. It might be a little tricky getting the detail on there, but at least the airplane will be able to fly straight (not that the Kikka did much of that - one 20 minute flight, followed by a rocket assisted takeoff that ended with a nose gear collapse.)

Still a little trimming and shaping to do, but looking pretty decent.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

It's a shame about the missing tail, your's is not the first build here in which the carpet monster made off with bits!!

Hopefully this didn't slow down the build too much.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just wanted to mention in case anyone is interested. Back in 2003 Fine Molds made a Kikka kit with metal engine parts.  I don't have a link to the picture with me, but you can look it up. The Catalog number for that version is FB10SP. If anyone finds it, and wants to sell it, let me know please.. I'm interested in it.  Ok I found the picture.

th?id=OIP.zTQnld7Fqx4HpMm_6GA2uQHaFj%26p

Edited by nedburt