1/24 Rubber Bumper MGB

With the photoshoot out of the way, it's time to call the MGB done.

For those who haven't seen this kit, Aoshima's rubber bumper kit is a good one to go for as it has all the bits you need for the chrome bumper version in there as well (i.e. wire wheels and chrome bumpers). In effect, this kit is the chrome bumper kit with added Rostyle wheels, rubber bumper and tonneau cover. Unfortunately, that also means that all the other bits which changed in the 1974 facelift are also as the original - you can make a rubber-bumper version with this kit, but if you want it accurate you'll need to make quite a few modifications yourself. There are other good conversions on here, either completed or in progress, but I took the view that as 99%+ of people won't know of the difference I could live with the inaccuracies and make do with it as it it.

The kit itself is kerbside, with the underside of the engine moulded into the chassis. With a bit of careful painting you can make it look ok, but it's not a bit to go showing off. It's not a new kit, but it is one which goes together well, although getting the body over the tub and aligned with its mounting slots is harder than I expected. Other than the wipers, that was about the only bit which gave me any trouble with fitment so I'd definitely recommend this kit.

Mine is built out of the box with the exception of me adding seatbelts made of buckles from the Belkits Fiesta rally kit and some 2mm ribbon. I wanted to do it a '70s colour, and was initially going to paint it Sand Yellow (babysick), but couldn't find it in Halfords. They did do Inca Yellow which I nearly got until I decided to check out the Rover section and there was a spraycan of Russet Brown. I knew I had to use that for its '70s vibe, but the more I've worked on the car the more I like it and now I can't think of a colour I'd rather have used. That was then clear-coated with Tamiya TS13 Clear which seems to have made the brown that little bit richer.

As for how I've done, in some ways this is one of my better builds. Certainly, it's rare for me not have any foul ups in sticking bits together but I've avoided it here. And I feel I'm getting better at BMFing too. The downside is the paint, not the colour but there are some bits where I went through the clear giving a bit of an uneven finish in some lights. For the most part it's hidden, but I know it's there and it does irritate. The link below takes you to the full build thread which should provide a more complete breakdown (caution: lots of detail painting in here!).

With that lot written, time to go into photo overload (got rid of most of the dust, but it's amazing how quickly it reappears :( ). As usual, all comments and (constructive!) criticism is welcome. And thanks for looking, and for all the encouragement throughout the build.

I'll start off with a top-down view (which is also probably the worst photo of the lot).

51995958940_a6a97fe006_b.jpg

After that, it's time for my usual tour around the car:

51995954650_f9d68d970c_b.jpg

51994410717_46f50d3cce_b.jpg

51995419341_6a9c01f591_b.jpg

51994410132_903032e0d8_b.jpg

51995960105_f44ee28e55_b.jpg

51995691019_1fedda688f_b.jpg

51995959865_af71b1f873_b.jpg

51995419251_e3a41f08e1_b.jpg

I also tried a few shots in the sun since the weather was good this afternoon and the sulight really makes the brown pop, well as much as brown can anyway. Next time I'll open the conservatory doors as I hadn't appreciated how much the glass was going to reflect the highlights.

51995968480_56a8f40c6e_b.jpg

51994419162_2767c8dda8_b.jpg

51995968815_3e829fcbff_b.jpg

Next up, a few close-ups of some of the bits I feel I managed to do a bit better than my usual standard. First up, since they got so many comments through the build thread, the Rostyle wheels. It took a long time to paint these, but the end result feels like it was worth it.

51995475483_7b2256471c_b.jpg

Next up, the BMF. Still something of a beginner at this (this is only the 3rd car I've used it on), but I was particularly pleased with how the quarterlights went. Granted they're not perfect, but they are pretty much on the limit of my current ability. The mirror in the foreground was painted with Revell acrylic Silver (90) with details in semi-gloss black, and were then pinned to the bodywork to make them a bit stronger. Not strong enough to survive fitting the body to the chassis though. The coach strip is also done in BMF. Unfortunately, although I spent a bit of time getting rid of the dust from the car, before I took this shot I didn't spend as long getting rid of the dust from the camera lens and with the car almost touching the lens (as you can see from the reflection in the paint) it picked up all the lens dust in shot :(

51995690494_c0eb0966aa_b.jpg

The other bit which I was pleased with was the interior. Like the wheels, this took a while with the detail painting. And, while it might be inaccurate, I'm happy with the result. I did wonder if the tan/Autumn Leaf seats might be a bit much with the brown body, but in the end I'm happy with the effect.

51995959080_132022714a_b.jpg

And with that, all that's left is a few shots from when I started playing around with composition:

51995480483_5f7fb8b3fa_b.jpg

51995424346_ba3ba8cbba_b.jpg

51995964700_a2c7959419_b.jpg

Thanks again for looking. Hope there weren't too many photos!

• Like 37

I really like that Spiny, it just looks 'right'! 

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

the Rostyle wheels. It took a long time to paint these, but the end result feels like it was worth it.

It most certainly was - they're superb!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Bravo! That looks fabulous. Truly invokes a 70s feel with that lovely brown.

I just saw one of these, in a different color, parked outside the local Sprouts Market. Instantly thought of this build. 

• Thanks 1

Absolutely wonderful.
It captures the 'soul' of the MGB. It's a shame that BL (BMC, Leyland ...?) had to raise the ride height for the rubber bumper MGB for the US market. (Surely they could have kept it lower for the domestic market?)

It's a lovely rendition, anyway. The photography looks very good.

I need to get back to the bench myself, but the man-cave is stuffed full of kitchen units ready for a re-fit next week! (YAY!), so models are all in the loft/garage/under our bed ...

Cheers,

Alan.

• Thanks 1

Fabulous work Spiny and your foiling looks really good.  My mate had an identical coloured Midget in the late 70s too. 

It's interesting that we had a brown resurgence a few years ago - but that seems to have passed now :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I was first registered in the 1970s so I approve of rubber bumper MGBs.

In your WIP you were open to the fact the dash is technically wrong for a later car, but the way I see it; if it looks right it is right. It's such a lovely build I don't care if Aoshima got a few details wrong. Everything you've done is top quality. 

AND IT'S BROWN 😀 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CliffB said:

It's interesting that we had a brown resurgence a few years ago - but that seems to have passed now :winkgrin:

Not on my drive it hasn't where one of the cars is a brown Fiesta. Although if you believe the DVLA, Copper Pulse is yellow. And yes I did buy it new which means I did choose to get a brown car😄

5 minutes ago, Anteater said:

I was first registered in the 1970s so I approve of rubber bumper MGBs.

Same situation for me, although I was far enough into the '70s that it was the '80s before I noticed anything so rubber bumpers are still the 'normal' MGB for me too.

Thanks to everyone who has commented and liked, it's very encouraging.

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2022 at 9:14 PM, Spiny said:

And yes I did buy it new which means I did choose to get a brown car😄

I must confess to having bought a beige Montego (or more accurately 'chosen' - it was a company car), back in the '80s.  Austin Rover called it Champagne 🍾, despite it being a non-metallic colour.  It was set off nicely by a brown interior.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That is a lovely finished model, very well done! That colour together with the chosen interior colour and the wheels suits the rubber bumper version perfectly. It reaally comes together like this.

The only detail I would add is a little weight into the tyres, i.e. grinding flats, to give the car more contact to the ground. But don't that little tip take away any pride from your fine result.

• Thanks 1

More beautiful like an Easter egg, but less good to bite 😉

Joking aside, you've done here a wonderful job.

The livery and the upholstery color match perfectly and I do love the care you involved to reproduce all details !

Bravo 👍

• Thanks 1

On 19/04/2022 at 15:57, CrazyCrank said:

More beautiful like an Easter egg, but less good to bite 😉

Joking aside, you've done here a wonderful job.

The livery and the upholstery color match perfectly and I do love the care you involved to reproduce all details !

Bravo 👍

Very kind of you to mention the details as they can be time consuming, so it's nice to see them appreciated. Then again, my detailing pales into insignificance alongside the amazing detail on your builds (which makes your praise all the sweeter :) )

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Late in the day but I do like that.Great modeling & paint job.Not often we see brown ones. I think in all of mine there are only a couple near that colour. Fine interior detailing too.

• Thanks 1