Smer AVRO 504k

Marklo

and this one is coming along nicely as well.

Bi-planes are something else that scares me, getting the wings nice and level and the rigging!!!  :door:

Hopefully you find that missing bit.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Marklo said:

CB722553-8-AC7-4-BB9-B159-AEAFD4-DC7-EFE

Great little catch up this morning. All looking rather splendid. I was worried when I saw that rough gray coat but then the primed version and the subtle pre shade bought everything into sharp focus. 👏👏👏. May I ask what’s happening with the paint at this stage?  I  thought it was the pre shade but I can see camo? And some splashing on the wing.  
I’ll keep everything crossed that you find the wings and struts. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Johnny.

There is an attempt at some preshading :) The black splashes are because my airbrush wasn’t behaving too well but we could call it black basing. My plan ( such as it is) is to go for a few light coats of buff or possibly Deck tan then maybe a post shade with smoke.

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

D83-A4550-1920-495-E-B677-BB22974-EF95-B

A first stripy coat of my CDL mix ( Tamiya desert yellow, white from the local art shop, some water, some Tamiya. Acrylic thinners and some W&N flow retarder, phew) 

87-BF4-A54-9-CD2-4712-A2-D0-AA42-E35144-Then some thin coats over everything.

4-A08-B256-F698-4-FD5-ACC5-0-E24414-E0-E

The final result, the rib low low lights as of the fuselage marvelling is still visable, but it gives a fairly subtle effect.

4-AE70811-6-FF7-4-E48-8-DA8-28804-A75-C3Struts and wheels painted and attached. Ready for Hinnomaru. Unusually it has markings on the upper and lower sides of the wing. I’ll mask and spray the white bands tomorrow, might even be dangerous and spray the Hinnomaru instead of resorting to the decal box.

Now if only I could find that  upper wing, me thinks the carpet monster is taking the toy know what in my house. 

I’ll give it till Friday then I’m going to scratch a replacement, time, tide and GB deadlines wait for no man….

• Like 3

B890-ACB1-7-BC1-4-AF5-8-AC6-F70-C1990873The wing has been sanded and now being bent to an aero foil section using my ‘pantentable’ wing bending jig it used to be a sweeping brush I think, also works well as a clamp for trailing edges.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

How did you Make the ribs? 

It’s my version of the Harry Woodman method. The wing is 2mm card sanded and rolled then covered with  20 thou card lined with a ballpoint pen and attached with double sided sticky tape and glued along the trailing edges with CA.

6-AEDBB59-7775-45-A2-AEB4-39-C6-FEC1-A04

The bible for scratch building.

Paper copies trade for silly money but the PDF of the book is ( I think) public domain and there is a  web based versions:-

https://web.archive.org/web/20080122044909/www.wwimodeler.com/harry/woodman.html

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2022 at 12:20 PM, Marklo said:

3-BA070-A4-C9-F0-4564-A7-E5-C8-D5-D3-A42Oops cutout the wrong side of the wing. Patched and setting so not too much of a set back….

I like your devil may care attitude. I'd be screaming with rage!

The home made wing really looks good (apart from that).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I like your devil may care attitude. I'd be screaming with rage!

I find I’m better to remain calm and keep modelling :) not that I don’t resort to harsh language once in a while.

• Haha 2

50288162-5-DE6-480-C-B20-B-EDBC15619952.

BEF09-AA3-E4-F9-4-AAD-A23-D-94-FFE91-F44Very nearly finished. Had to resort to some printed decals as the spares box didn’t have enough of the right diameter Honamaru. Just need to glue the wing, a few more rigging lines, the fuel tank, windshields and the serial number in the rudder. Looking pretty sharp even if I say so myself.

• Like 2

Fantastic. I have used the pen method myself and had totally forgotten about it. The wing looks amazing, did you ever find the original? Thanks for the share of the book, I have saved it for later use. 😇

Johnny 5

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

did you ever find the original?

No but I’m sure it’ll surface anytime soon :) 

BE6-B6-CF1-AFA7-40-B0-AA0-D-2-C105-CAA99upper wing now stuck on. Went on with a lot less of a struggle than expected monofilament is stretchier than I thought.

Windscreen, fuel tank and not a lot more left to finish it.

• Like 1

WOW!!!!!  :yikes:

She looks amazing, she looks gorgeous in that colour scheme, and what a build and an amazing recovery too with the upper wing....hopefully the carpet monster get really bad indigestion!  

Thanks for joining us and bringing along such an interesting build and subject, I hope you enjoyed the build, was a pleasure to have you along.

• Thanks 1