Folks

Up to now i had Meng Models mainly on the radar for their military models. now they seem to extend their portfolio into the Mecha Area.

Bandais first Perfect Grade was Unit 01 from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Now Meng seem to take the same route with the anouncement  MECHA-001L for May 2022. This is a giant 47 cm Monster, even larger than Bandais Perfect Grade (about 35 cm high).

The downside: Anouncement says, that this comes on pre-painted sprues. I hope this is only pre-coloured plastic with water slide decals provided separately to allow a custom paint job.

If anybody here has more information, please let me know, i will for sure keep an eye on this item as soon as it is available.

@the admins: I could not find anything in the FAQ´s about posting external links. If this is not desired then please delete.

http://www.meng-model.com/en/contents/59/464.html

9 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

....are they primarily produced for that market? 

Hi Chris,

the Neon Genesisi Evangelion Franchise has a similan popularity in Asia like Star Wars in the westerm Movie Culture. Started as a Anime TV Series in the 90´s. Followod by a Series of Movies that finaly came to an end with Evangelion: 3.0+1.01 Thrice Upon A Time (2021).

The Franchis is of course comercialized to the max. Not as extreme as the Gundam Series but still a lot of products on the market including several generations of Model Kits, mostly from Bandai.

Strange that Meng has jumped so late onto this Hype-Train, now that the Series as "officially" come to an end

Hi, TomTom.

Thanks for the very  comprehensive reply. I was wondering what a figure this size would look like heavily-weathered and with some serious battle-damage. Not to everyone's taste, I'm sure, but I think that could look really cool. If I ever bought one, I think I would be scared of going that way, in case I made a mess of it....  

Cheers. 

Chris.  

Nice one Meng I wonder if they will do some of the helijets and Nerv tech seeing as the are doing the support platform. 

It's a great series .much darker and way more adult that a lot of the giant robot shows ..... absolute terror feild on ! 

11 hours ago, Reelyator said:

Bandais first Perfect Grade was Unit 01 from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I had to check this as I always thought that Bandai's first Perfect Grade would've been the RX-78-2.  But you are right, which actually surprises me as it was released in 1997 when "End of Evangelion" came out, you know... the second time that Evangelion finished for good.  God I feel old now.  Then again the new version of Evangelion is another retelling of it, so I wouldn't say it completed the series, like Rebirth/End of Evangelion did (got to love the "F**K you!!!" in the films to some of the "fans").  There was a 1/60 kit of Wing Zero from 1993 that looks PG-ish but isn't listed as such but I digress.  Then again when it comes to Gundam, the most money is made from the Gunpla kits rather than the shows, where as I suspect that with Evangelion, the show/dvd's make the most money?

The Meng version looks to be the "You are (not) alone" movie version (and on wards).  But yeah they seemed to have missed the boat on that one with the time frame.  Even more so with Bandai releasing the Real Grade versions (which I hear are amazing).  Makes you wonder huh?  All we need now is a 1/60 Unit-02 holding that destroyer up and we are sorted!  Wonder what the price will be on this?

Kind regards,

Dazz

(worse part is that as I type this, I am wearing an Unit-01 t-shirt... even though it really isn't my favourite "mecha" show if you can really can call it a mecha show. )

• Like 1

Price will be 16.000 Yen for the EVA-01 without the base & spear.

The design is a bit wonky IMO, compared to what's already on the market, and I always favored the fixed-pose garage kits over the moveable plastic or resin ones. The Kaiyodo kit from 1995 was the first garage kit I completed.

spacer.png

On 10/04/2022 at 19:10, spruecutter96 said:

...I was wondering what a figure this size would look like heavily-weathered and with some serious battle-damage. Not to everyone's taste, I'm sure, but I think that could look really cool. If I ever bought one, I think I would be scared of going that way, in case I made a mess of it.... 

....what i like about these fully fictional figures and kits is, that there is no RIGHT or WRONG. Everything is fine as long as you as the builder are happy with the outcome👍

I would take the same approack like you and try to paint and weather the figure to look as "Real" as possible. Even it i was "Just" from an Anime with no realistic wear or tear ever seen in the Movie.

On 11/04/2022 at 00:04, Dazzio said:

.... God I feel old now.  Then again the new version of Evangelion is another retelling of it, so I wouldn't say it completed the series, like Rebirth/End of Evangelion did (got to love the "F**K you!!!" in the films to some of the "fans").

.....I know what you mean, thinking about my age.

I would not say, that the Rebuild Movies are a "retelling" of the story from the TV Show. It is more a continuation of the Story, after Shinjis response to Rei´s offer seen in the End Of Evangelion. Still pretty shure i did not get or understand  the full picture of the story, even after rewathing the Rebuild Movie Series, now with 3.0+1.01 as conclusion........probably need to rewatch it again📺

5 hours ago, Reelyator said:

I would not say, that the Rebuild Movies are a "retelling" of the story from the TV Show. It is more a continuation of the Story, after Shinjis response to Rei´s offer seen in the End Of Evangelion. Still pretty shure i did not get or understand  the full picture of the story, even after rewathing the Rebuild Movie Series, now with 3.0+1.01 as conclusion........probably need to rewatch it again📺

Just think of them as those old "choose your own adventure " novels and mix and match between the series , the first movies , and the rebuilds,  they kinda make more sense that way ...or at least connect to Anno /shinjis breakdowns  and rebuild's 

Love them tho

• Like 1

On 11/04/2022 at 00:04, Dazzio said:

The Meng version looks to be the "You are (not) alone" movie version (and on wards).  But yeah they seemed to have missed the boat on that one with the time frame.  Even more so with Bandai releasing the Real Grade versions (which I hear are amazing).  Makes you wonder huh?  All we need now is a 1/60 Unit-02 holding that destroyer up and we are sorted!  Wonder what the price will be on this?

Agree, the paint sceme ant the "humanised" Torso Shape is clearly from the Rebuild movies, not from the original TV Show.

The RG Series from Bandai seems to really popular. But seriously? 18 cm?? here i would preferr a bit more "Size for the Prize". That is why i have plent of Bandais LM-HG Evangelion Kits on my shelf (...and the one and only PG). Not on the same level of colour separation and posability like the RG´s but i would paint them anyhow myself. And i am to old to play with my Kits, therfore posability is not so important for me.

The Meng Mecha-001L (Eva-01) and the Mecha-003L (Transport Platform) arre curtrently on Preorder at HLJ for 105 and 58€, sounds ok imho. Curious how much shipping costs will come on top.....

The Meng Article Numbers (-001L: -003L) makes me wonder if there is a Mecha-002L in the pipeline? Maybe something for Asuka??

Wow that looks good! I love evangelion! 

One of the first models I did once I switched to an airbrush was a 1/48 raptor, but then got into Sci fi kits and totally lost interest so I decided to do in Unit 1's colours with some evangelion decals I bought. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

...One of the first models I did once I switched to an airbrush was a 1/48 raptor, but then got into Sci fi kits and totally lost interest so I decided to do in Unit 1's colours with some evangelion decals I bought...

Nice! What a cool fusion!!

But not SUCH an absurd idea, keeping in mind that in Japan even Shinkansen Trains were made in Evangelion Colours. So why not a Raptor😉

• Like 1

I have just receives som information from the Meng Support:

- A "General" (=unpainted) Version of the Mecha-001L is planned - I would definitely go for that version!

- And: a Mecha-002L is in the pipeline as well:-) But no details up to now what that will be

On 4/15/2022 at 4:16 PM, Reelyator said:

That's the thing about getting old, the number keeps on getting higher! :D  I wish I was 25 again. lol

I'm going to respectifully disagree.  The Rebirth/End of Evangelion where retelling of the last 2 episodes from the TV as alot of the fans complained about the ending and obviously there was money to be made there.  Hideaki Anno even recieved death threats saying if he didn't finish the show properly then he would be... you know... brown bread (Cockney rhyming slang there).  That is why some of the death threats where actually put into the End of Evangelion when Asuka "awakens" iirc.  Also, as far as I can remember, there is no mention of Mari ever in the TV show or the films and Kaworu isn't on the moon and I pretty sure it isn't mentioned either - but it has been near on 20 years since I watched the original show.  Plus we have had the third impact about 3 times now.  Then again I did kinda half watch the Rebuild movies (even the title gives it away), and I could've missed something (it has been known).  Either way, they are good watches but the original Japanese Eva-01 vs Zeruel fight is freaky as hell.  Just noticed that they didn't get Spike Spencer to play Shinji in the Rebuilds either... that sucks. :(

On 4/16/2022 at 11:33 AM, Reelyator said:

Agree, the paint sceme ant the "humanised" Torso Shape is clearly from the Rebuild movies, not from the original TV Show.

The RG Series from Bandai seems to really popular. But seriously? 18 cm?? here i would preferr a bit more "Size for the Prize". That is why i have plent of Bandais LM-HG Evangelion Kits on my shelf (...and the one and only PG). Not on the same level of colour separation and posability like the RG´s but i would paint them anyhow myself. And i am to old to play with my Kits, therfore posability is not so important for me.

The Meng Mecha-001L (Eva-01) and the Mecha-003L (Transport Platform) arre curtrently on Preorder at HLJ for 105 and 58€, sounds ok imho. Curious how much shipping costs will come on top.....

The Meng Article Numbers (-001L: -003L) makes me wonder if there is a Mecha-002L in the pipeline? Maybe something for Asuka??

The RG's and the size is a well known fact.  The scale of choice in Japan is *usually* 1/144 due to the lack of space they have in their homes and we all know how hordish us Otaku can get. ;)

But I find it weird that they refer to the kits as "Mecha-001L" and "Mecha-003L", it's like they do not have a license to produce them officially or refer to the parts as they are offically called in the show, for example the S2 engine.  Least that is how it appears to be for me.  If/when you get one, I would love to see a build log of it please, I know I will never get the kit nor have the time to build one - my main builds are Gundams/Macross.

Kind regards,

Dazz 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dazzio said:

...I'm going to respectifully disagree.  The Rebirth/End of Evangelion where retelling of the last 2 episodes from the TV as alot of the fans complained about the ending and obviously there was money to be made there....

Hi Dazz!
This is getting a bit off topic considering that we are in a Model Building Forum but who cares;-)

I think we both mean the same thing. But to be precise (at least in my interpretation): The End of Evangelion (1997) is a retelling of the last 2 Episodes from the original TV Show. The Rebuild of Evangelion Movie Series (consisting of 1.0 (2007), 2.0 (2009), 3.0 (2012) and 3.0+1.0 (2021) is NOT a retelling. This is a continuation of the Story after the third impact took place in The End Of Evangelion:

- Gendo initiates the human instrumentality with Rei ->Third Impact

- Rei refuses Gendos Controll over the instrumentality project and asks Shinji instead if he wishes to stay inside the unified LCL Soup....thing...whatsoever OR return to the (individualized) world again that has caused him all the suffering we know from the TV Show.

- Shinj decides that he wants to return to the individualized world and meet the whole funky bunch again

- Reset (=Rebuild) of the World to the time of Shinjis arrival in Tokyo 3 but now AFTER the third impact has already taken place (just look at the colour of the sea: Red vs Blue how it was in the original first episode of the TV show).

This is were the Rebuild of Evangelion Movie Series starts. Almost same story but now more influenced by Shinjis wishes and desires that lead to the story drifting off more and more from the original (TV Show) Story line as we can see during 2.0 and later.

That is what i wanted to say when i wrote that the Rebuild Series is NOT a retelling of the original story🤓

.....But that is just my personal interpretation. I do not consider myself the center of the universe and i am perfectly fine with anybody having different perspectives and interpretations. Probably only Anno himself knows what went through his brain when he went through this 25 year birth process...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dazzio said:

....But I find it weird that they refer to the kits as "Mecha-001L" and "Mecha-003L", it's like they do not have a license to produce them officially .....

I think the Mecha-001L is just the Meng internal Article Number for this Model Kit. Their Website clearly names this article as "Evangelion Unit-01". Therefore i would not expect any license issues.

• 1 month later...
On 10/04/2022 at 23:57, Neil Lambess said:

....I wonder if they will do some of the helijets and Nerv tech seeing as the are doing the support platform.... 

As far as i remember ony Kotobukiya had released a 1/100 scale YAGR-N101 Aircraft (...i assume that is what you mean with HELIJETS) a while ago. You might still find it on ebay. But according to HLJ this item was discontinued.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems promising. From what I can recall the old PG has a lot of issues regarding certain aspects (the rubber suit is apparently the biggest nightmare), so having a new large kit will be interesting. However, there's so many Unit-01 kits out there that it seems like the main appeal for this guy is going to be the size. I really wish kits had some more unique items like the Metal Build's loadouts or the F-Type armor.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was hoing that this is just pre-colored plastic but it really seems to be painted. Bad for me as i wanted to apply a custom paint job. Now i need to figure out how to stip down the paint....or just wait for the unpainted version to be releaes.

The kit comes with some LED´s for lighting the eyes and chest (S2 Engine) but i think i would prefer to build me something myself, maybe with a breathing LED for the S2 Engine...

spacer.png

That looks to be a sweet little kit, truth be told.  Shame about the sprues being painted though.  I guess you *could* paint over the top of it, but that runs the risk of losing all of the details.

Oven cleaner (Mr Muscle), Dettol, Dot3 brake fluid and heard great things about "Simple Green" for paint removal from my wargaming buddies.

Kind regards,

Dazz

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/06/2022 at 20:37, KaizenMaizer said:

..... I really wish kits had some more unique items like the Metal Build's loadouts or the F-Type armor.

Fully Agree with you!

....Still hoping for a reasonably scaled Bardiel Version of Eva-03. Preferrably with the Option, to build it with 4 Arms like seem in the second Rebuild Movie.

The corresponding LM-HG Kit is on backorder at HLJ since ages....