20220410-125541.jpg

20220410-125503.jpg

20220410-143405.jpg

20220410-143445.jpg

20220410-143528.jpg

20220410-143609.jpg

20220410-143648.jpg

20220410-143728.jpg

Gibernau is best known for being the victim of Valentino Rossi's curse*, but he took his first win in the top class on this Suzuki from the final year of the 500 strokers. 

*during a temerarious, ding-dong season Sete's team got Rossi and Yamaha penalised for cleaning a grid spot. Rossi proclaimed that Sete would never win another race, and he never did. (Rossi did later explain that he was talking about in that particular season) 

My first experience using Microscale Liquid Decal Film, what with these being 20 years old and Tamiya's own. I still had repeated cracking on angles: I tried laying it on thicker but had the same result. Any one have tips for getting these old, brittle Tamiya sets to bend, or should I just use a strong solution and wait it out without touching? (my strong Mr Hobby gear will leave marks on the decal if I apply it and then leave it be) 

Edited by slippers
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HOUSTON said:

PHENOMENAL  detailing  which  is just Astonishing  to see.

A very STUNNING looking model.

I wish it was MINE..

you should be SO proud of your work.

:goodjob:  :clap:

:wow:  :heart:

:mike:

45 minutes ago, psdavidson said:

:gobsmacked:Astounding

11 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Yeah, that's superb. Top work. 👏

Thanks very much, chaps. You're too kind. 👍

• Like 1

Awesome build of a beautiful bike (love the Telefonica/Movistar livery).

None of the decal problems you describe are perceivable in the photos.

A brilliant outcome!

👏

16 hours ago, desert falcon said:

This could seriously be some photos of a real thing, what a stunning job that is !! 

9 hours ago, kapam said:

Awesome build of a beautiful bike (love the Telefonica/Movistar livery).

None of the decal problems you describe are perceivable in the photos.

A brilliant outcome!

👏

1 hour ago, gamblor916 said:

Very nice. The exhausts in particular look very realistic.

I'm very grateful for your compliments. Nice to think that I'm improving. Thanks. 👍

Re. the exhausts; using the Mr Hobby Super Titanium as a base, rather than the Tamiya Titanium, definitely improved the outcome. 

On 17/04/2022 at 13:15, CliffB said:

It looks fantastic with its clothes on and even better undressed :goodjob:

Cheers! 👍

Sadly, the screws are in place, painted or covered, so it'll probably stay like that from now on. I did experiment with magnets on another build but without an acceptable outcome. 

• Like 1

On 10/04/2022 at 17:57, slippers said:

My first experience using Microscale Liquid Decal Film, what with these being 20 years old and Tamiya's own. I still had repeated cracking on angles: I tried laying it on thicker but had the same result. Any one have tips for getting these old, brittle Tamiya sets to bend, or should I just use a strong solution and wait it out without touching? (my strong Mr Hobby gear will leave marks on the decal if I apply it and then leave it be) 

Microsol might get them to bend but it also seems to be the nature of all tamiya made decals to not want to go around corners and angles. Even with relatively fresh sets I've had issues getting them to comply but multiple coats of microsol helps to make things happen. 

Edit: Excellent work on the bike and I was a wee bit young to follow bike racing properly at the time but do remember doohan when he was at the top of his game.

Edited by drgarbanzo

On 19/04/2022 at 08:39, drgarbanzo said:

Microsol might get them to bend but it also seems to be the nature of all tamiya made decals to not want to go around corners and angles. Even with relatively fresh sets I've had issues getting them to comply but multiple coats of microsol helps to make things happen. 

Edit: Excellent work on the bike and I was a wee bit young to follow bike racing properly at the time but do remember doohan when he was at the top of his game.

Thanks. 👍 I did try both Microsol and the Mr Hobby gear. Maybe two coats of the liquid decal film next time might improve matters. 

Fortunately the kit I'm working on now was supplied with Cartograf decals, so I'm looking forward to a less fraught ordeal this time. 

If you're going to remember one rider, Doohan is a pretty good one! When I can justify paying for a Scalemotorsports PE kit I'll have his 90s Repsol Honda to build. 

Fantastic work. The painting & detailing is excellent.

FWIW, we used to have a windscreen from Sete's bike hanging on the lounge-room wall. (Donated by the pit-crew to my partner at the time, who was part of the medical team for the Oz GP that year. It was autographed by Sete, too.)

On 28/04/2022 at 17:37, Camo Viking said:

Fantastic work. The painting & detailing is excellent.

FWIW, we used to have a windscreen from Sete's bike hanging on the lounge-room wall. (Donated by the pit-crew to my partner at the time, who was part of the medical team for the Oz GP that year. It was autographed by Sete, too.)

Cheers. 👍 

That's quite the wall hanging! Any other memorabilia knocking about? 

On 29/04/2022 at 02:13, apollogary said:

fantastic. Too good to cover up with all the panels

Gary

Thanks, Gary. 👍

The bike I'm working on now will be displayed with most of the fairing off (04 M1 with upgrade kits). 

On 30/04/2022 at 09:18, slippers said:

Cheers. 👍 

That's quite the wall hanging! Any other memorabilia knocking about? 

It did look good, for sure. No other memorabilia kicking around, aside from my own bike & gear. Not certain where the screen is now, sadly.