Questions about Occre HMS Terror

Been interested in the Franklin Expedition for quite some time now and came across the Occre HMS Terror, having never built a ship like this before, it looks like it would be fun and I like the detail, is something like this difficult, and what tools would I need if I were to build this?

Thanks,

James

James, I would suggest looking on Occre's own website,

They have lots of build stage videos on there to see how their models go together.

You will also get some idea of the tools you will need from the videos for their wood kits.

James, another thought occurred to me. There was another ship, the Erebus that I think may have been part of that expedition, but I could be wrong. It was lost trying to find a way through the Northwest Passage. I believe that the wreck has been found.

There is an actor / travel writer tv presenter named Michael Palin who has written a book about the Erebus that you might find an interesting read. Erebus I think may be similar to the Terror. I expect you may have watched the BBC tv production drama series about the Terror expedition.

I am looking at Occre's kit of the Endurance that went down in Antarctica on Shackleton's ill after expedition. The wreck has very recently been found.

There are very few kits of exploration vesseis from that era. The Airfix kit of Scott's ship the Discovery and the Heller kit of Chacot's ship Purquoi Pas come to mind as plastic kits. I think the Heller moulds went to  Zvesda of someone similar in Eastern Europe and got re issued. Not seen the Airfix Discovery for many years.

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Noel Smith said:

James, another thought occurred to me. There was another ship, the Erebus that I think may have been part of that expedition, but I could be wrong. It was lost trying to find a way through the Northwest Passage. I believe that the wreck has been found.

There is an actor / travel writer tv presenter named Michael Palin who has written a book about the Erebus that you might find an interesting read. Erebus I think may be similar to the Terror. I expect you may have watched the BBC tv production drama series about the Terror expedition.

I am looking at Occre's kit of the Endurance that went down in Antarctica on Shackleton's ill after expedition. The wreck has very recently been found.

There are very few kits of exploration vessels from that era. The Airfix kit of Scott's ship the Discovery and the Heller kit of Chacot's ship Purquoi Pas come to mind as plastic kits. I think the Heller moulds went to  Zvezda of someone similar in Eastern Europe and got re issued. Not seen the Airfix Discovery for many years.

The Erebus was also lost with Terror on the ill fated Franklin Expedition. I was also looking at Occre's kit of Endurance. Within the last 7 years or so they found Terror, Erebus, and most recently Endurance. 

I have seen the book about Erebus by Michael Palin but I haven't picked it up yet. I'm surprised Occre or some other company hasn't done a wooden kit of Erebus. 

Having never built a wooden ship model, it looks fun and a nice change of pace to do something new. There is also a Viking ship from Dusek that looks amazing as well. What, in your opinion, are some essential tools for someone who wants to get started?

James

Hi James

Regarding tools for wooden kits I would suggest having a look at some of the build videos on Occre's website to get a feel for what you will need.

Amati  make a range of special tools for model ship builders. Hobby's and Hobbies sell them and a company named Euromodels.

I read that there is a TV drama about the Shackleton expedition about to air.

Hi Noel

Will look at the build videos for Terror on Occre's site. Checked out Amati and the Euromodels sites. I could not for the life of me find Hobby's and Hobbies at all.  Do you think this is a good deal for what all you get?

https://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/combo-sets/occre-hms-terror,-deluxe-combo-set–oc12004dcs.html

Had not heard about the TV drama about the Shackleton expedition. Would you know what it's called and when it might air?

Hi James,

I am surprised that you could not find either Hobbys or Hobbies websites. They are two different companies who have large selections of models, tools and accessories.

Hobbies is located near Norwich and Hobbys is located in London, so they are both UK based. Even though you are in Texas, you should be able to access their websites.

Over on your side of the pond, I would imagine that Micro Mark would be their sort of equivalent for model making tools, kits and accessories etc. so probably easier in cost and accessibility.

The Ages of Sail combination offer looks good to me and should get you started with a good kit and some very useful ship modelling tools.   HTH

2 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Hi James,

I am surprised that you could not find either Hobbys or Hobbies websites. They are two different companies who have large selections of models, tools and accessories.

Hobbies is located near Norwich and Hobbys is located in London, so they are both UK based. Even though you are in Texas, you should be able to access their websites.

Over on your side of the pond, I would imagine that Micro Mark would be their sort of equivalent for model making tools, kits and accessories etc. so probably easier in cost and accessibility.

The Ages of Sail combination offer looks good to me and should get you started with a good kit and some very useful ship modelling tools.   HTH

I know why I couldn't find them, I assumed Hobbys or Hobbies websites is that I thought it was one company, hence that's how I was searching. Thank you for the clarification my friend.

• 3 weeks later...

James, that MicroMark toolset looks like a good start point to give you a selection of basic tools. I have something almost identical. Some of tools will get used frequently and the others less so from my experience. If you get into wooden ship modelling in a serious way you will find more dedicated tools available for specific jobs. Amati's tools come to mind. HTH.

• Like 1