Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 Coupe (G-Model) - Revell 1/24 - - - going outlaw - - -

Evening all,

For now this is just a place holder as I have a GB to finish before starting on this.

7K1krfQ.jpg

As Mike already did an excellent review of this kit, I’ll save you for the sprue pics. 

As I have so far only managed to complete a grand total of two kits in my recent modeller career (I have started quite a lot though :)), both being aircraft, for this my first car kit I’m definitely going to ask for your kind assistance as we along! 

On opening the box I noticed that the windscreen had some scratches/imperfections on it, likely originating from the production of the part. 

ZUmiiLa.jpg

After logging a complaint online a the Revell homepage, 5 days later I received a FOC replacement part. So a big 👍 to Revell for their excellent customer service. 

My first couple of question to you guys is actually concerning the paint. Color wise I’m considering Porsche factory colors lime green or Gulf blue, leaning more towards the Gulf blue at the moment. Found both here at Gravity Colors homepage, so my current questions are concerning the Gravity Colors themself. 

1. From reading other posts, I understand that Gravity paints are popular around here, so what is everyones experience using these paints please? Are they easy to apply and are they suitable for less experienced airbrush users (like myself)? 
2. What I really like about Gravity Colors is their huge selection of factory colors. Are there any other known model paint manufactures around with such a huge selection of OEM colors?

3. Though I usually prefer water-based paints due to lack of smell and easiness of cleaning, I understand that Gravity Colors are lacquer based paint. How bad are they on odor and is it relatively easy to clean airbrush, tools, etc post use? 
4. Gravity (obviously) recommend their own primer (https://gravity-colors.com/primers/101-gc-303-light-surface-primer/). Any experience with this primer please? Any suitable alternatives please? I’m a real jerk with a spray (rattle) can, so any alternatives would have to be for airbrush use please?

5. Also for the gloss clear coat Gravity is recommending their own product (https://gravity-colors.com/clear-coats/102-gc-306-gloss-clear-box-set/). This product is a 3 component product, consisting of gloss clear, activator and additive thinner which will have to be mixed to the right ratio before use. Again, does anyone have any experience on this product and/or can you recommend any alternatives please? Even here I would prefer airbrush over spray can. 

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated 🙏

Cheers,

Johnny b 

Zero paints by Hiroboy also have a large range of OEM colours, but it may be difficult to get these in Germany. Splash paints also have a range of such colours as do Streetblisters and Number Five, the latter two being available from Spotmodel in Spain - and probably other continental model stores too.

Gravity and Zero are to the best of my knowledge the same formulation as full size car paints - and as such they are 'hot' and if applied too thickly, or without a primer will damage the plastic of the model - so always apply in light coats, starting with a very fine mist coat. They both spray very nicely with the right thinning and air pressure.

I don't have experience of the other paints.

All laquer paints stink! I don't find them any more difficult to clean out of the airbrush than any other type of paint, but you do need to use a laquer type cleaner and if your airbrush doesn't have PTFE solvent proof type seals they can be damaged by such cleaners/thinners.

51 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Any experience with this primer please? Any suitable alternatives please?

I haven't used the Gravity primer, my primer of choice is the Mr.Color Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 range that come in a variety of colours, I use white, grey and black, thinned with Mr Color leveling thinner. These airbrush very nicely and give a nice smooth finish. They also do a pink primer which is great for use under red finishing coats (old Ferrari trick!)

51 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

his product is a 3 component product, consisting of gloss clear, activator and additive thinner which will have to be mixed to the right ratio before use. Again, does anyone have any experience on this product and/or can you recommend any alternatives please? Even here I would prefer airbrush over spray can. 

This is what is known as a 2K clear and can be fairly dangerous stuff if used incorrectly. I know and accept the argument that we modellers only use a minute amount compared to full size car sprayers, but they only use it with an air fed mask and inside vented spraybooths. I couldn't use it even if I wanted to as I spray in the house and don't want to risk affecting anyone else with any escaping fumes. 

My choice of clearcoat is again from the Mr Hobby range, either GX100 or GX112 glosses. I do admit that people who use 2K clears will get a better finish out of the airbrush than I can with the Mr Color clears, but I do actually enjoy wet sanding and polishing the clears to get a good shine on them. 

I think Gravity also do a single stage clear (as do Zero and in all likelihood the others I mentioned do too) but again I haven't used it.

HTH, others should be along with their own suggestions soon! 

Any other questions, don't be afraid to ask! :)

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks @keefr22 for your reply, over the coming days I'll have a deeper look at the many alternatives you have listed !! 

I previously had a look at some of yours and others car models finished in Gravity and they all look very good! The point that Gravity and Zero paints are "hot" is duly noted. Gravity are having a range of instruction videos on their homepage/youtube, which also tells you to start with a mist coat and then work in thin layers. Once I decide on the brand and color, I will make sure to do some tests before starting on the subject car.

Regarding the airbrush I will have to check whether it is PTFE solvent proof. It's just a starter model from a company called Wave and the instructions are in Japanese but I will ask at the shop where I bought it. And regarding the smell, I was looking at investing in a hobby spray booth anyway, so this seems to be the right time.

Coincidentally I do have a pink Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 primer and some Mr Color leveling thinner to my avail, intended for an orange air ambulance helicopter which is in the works. For a lime green or Gulf blue Porsche, I assume a light grey or maybe even white primer would be the right choice.

Also thanks for the heads up on the 2K clear products, which then at the moment is likely not an option for me as I'm doing my painting in the living / bed room. Will have a look into the Mr Hobby GX range, seems like other BM's are also using these products with good results. Gravity writes on their homepage that the single stage clear (1K) "is not recommended for bodyworks".

Generally speaking other than Revell paints anything else has to be ordered online here in Germany, unless of course you have the insane luck of living next to one of the very few model shops still around. We will however likely be going on vacation to Dubai in June, where they have a rather large and usually well stocked model shop. They also have a good range of Mr Hobby products, in fact this is where I have so far bought most of my tools, paints and even the airbrush, as we used to live in Dubai for many years before moving to Germany. 

Once again thanks a lot for your help Keith and if other BM's have other recommendations as well, I would very much appreciate their comments! 

Cheers,

Johnny b 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, desert falcon said:

For a lime green or Gulf blue Porsche, I assume a light grey or maybe even white primer would be the right choice.

For colours like that I have a bottle of Finishing Surfacer that I've mixed from half a bottle of white and half a bottle of grey to give a light grey primer that shows up well over white plastic bodyshells and isn't too dark under light colours - I also use it if I'm building a white car as I can never see white topcoats over white primer! 

White primer would also be fine under those colours if the kit isn't moulded in white (maybe that's just my eyes again!)

Gravity writes on their homepage that the single stage clear (1K) "is not recommended for bodyworks".

No idea why they'd say that unless it's just specifically about their 1K stuff (or they want to sell more 2K!) - it's all I've ever used, from one brand or another.

This is either GX100 0r 112 over a different brand of modelling auto paint (no longer available sadly) and a few hours wet sanding with micromesh and polishing with the three Tamiya compounds;

if other BM's have other recommendations as well, I would very much appreciate their comments! 

I'm surprised none have yet - maybe they had late Saturday nights...!! :)

Keith

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So....just woked up. 

If you're going to buy Gravity , be sure to order from Gravity spain.  There's also Gravity US and I only heard bad comments about the US company. 

Concerning Zeropaints.:

Hiroboy.com restarted to ship to germany. Keep in mind you're might going to pay duty and tax.

Toms.nl and domino.be are also selling zeropaints and these companies are from netherlands and belgium,  so no duty and tax for a german customer. 

Marco F 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

So....just woked up.

Still suffering from “jetlag” after going to summertime, are we … 😁 

54 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

If you're going to buy Gravity , be sure to order from Gravity spain.  There's also Gravity US and I only heard bad comments about the US company. 

Thanks for highlighting this, so far I did only come across the Spanish one but it’s good too know not to mix them up! 

56 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Hiroboy.com restarted to ship to germany. Keep in mind you're might going to pay duty and tax.

Toms.nl and domino.be are also selling zeropaints and these companies are from netherlands and belgium,  so no duty and tax for a german customer. 

Thanks a lot Marco for the links 🙏

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

For colours like that I have a bottle of Finishing Surfacer that I've mixed from half a bottle of white and half a bottle of grey to give a light grey primer that shows up well over white plastic bodyshells and isn't too dark under light colours - I also use it if I'm building a white car as I can never see white topcoats over white primer! 

White primer would also be fine under those colours if the kit isn't moulded in white (maybe that's just my eyes again!)

Cheers Keith, the kit is moulded in a mix of some sprues being silver metallic (e.g. the body shell) and others being in a light grey. So either white or light grey primer so work I think. 

No idea why they'd say that unless it's just specifically about their 1K stuff (or they want to sell more 2K!)

The latter I think :) 

This is either GX100 0r 112 over a different brand of modelling auto paint (no longer available sadly) and a few hours wet sanding with micromesh and polishing with the three Tamiya compounds;

Awesome shine and a very clean paint job there 👍 With results like that, I see no reason to use a harmful 2K clear! 

I'm surprised none have yet - maybe they had late Saturday nights...!! :)

Or pre-Easter celebrations :cheers: 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Thanks for highlighting this, so far I did only come across the Spanish one but it’s good too know not to mix them up! 

Sorry, completely forgot to mention that!

Keith

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 9:21 AM, keefr22 said:

Sorry, completely forgot to mention that!

Keith

Not to worry Keith, both you and @Marco F. have so far been of great help !!

Still having a debate with myself over the color, but for now at least I‘m still leaning towards Gulf blue or maybe Mexico blue. Gulf blue is very classy but would maybe suit an „Ur-Elfer“ (first gen 911) better, whereas Mexico blue was offered for the G-Model I believe.

And this leads me to todays question, does anyone have experience with ScaleLab 24 products and more specifically their decals?

Got my eyes set on these, think black „Carrera“ side stripes would look good on a blue car. 

GvbLUJQ.jpg

(Source: scalemates.com)

It‘s the only Carrera decals I can find out there and they are available too for around 18€ Incl. postage. Not cheap, but it looks like you will get a „life“ time supply of Carrera side strips in many different colors (3 printed sheets in total from what I could see on ebay). 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated before I potentially order some !! 

Cheers,

Johnny b

• Like 1

• desert falcon changed the title to Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 Coupe (G-Model) - Revell 1/24 *** ScaleLab 24 decals, are they any good ?? ***

Later version 911 (Fujimi 964 Turbo), but this is what Mexico Blue looks like on a model Porsche;

Crop2

The thing with Porsche though is they do a service now called Paint to Sample (PTS) so you can have the car painted almost any colour. When I first got into 911's, not long after they were introduced, I remember a Porsche advert where they claimed they'd paint your car to match the colour of your eyes (although I don't think I'd want one in 'bloodshot muddy brown'...!! 🤣 ), so if you want a Gulf Blue G model there's no reason not to have one (and if you had a real one you could always get it resprayed any colour!) 

I haven't used Scalelab decals I'm afraid.

Keith

• Like 1

Keith, that’s a lovely looking Mexico blue 964 👍, one from your own „garage“ I assume?! And well slammed too :) 

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

so if you want a Gulf Blue G model there's no reason not to have one (and if you had a real one you could always get it resprayed any colour!) 

I agree, the most important thing is that you yourself are happy about the colour and then it is not so important if its original or typical for a certain model. But you know, the research that goes into a model is almost half the fun of the project. 

Thanks again for posting the picture! 

Oh and may add, in the unlikely event I should ever find the resources for a full scale 911 it would have to be Miami blue :wub:

1TbfuYA.jpg
(Photo: Porsche) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Keith, that’s a lovely looking Mexico blue 964 👍, one from your own „garage“ I assume?! 

Yes, it was until it met an unfortunate end when I dropped it when dusting it and somehow managed to step on it when I tried to pick it up!! :doh:I've always been clumsy, but that took the biscuit! 🤣 The wheels have been donated to a 964RS I have planned.

And I agree, Miami Blue is lovely! 

Keith

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • desert falcon changed the title to Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 Coupe (G-Model) - Revell 1/24 - - - going outlaw - - -
On 5/2/2022 at 10:03 PM, keefr22 said:

Yes, it was until it met an unfortunate end when I dropped it when dusting it and somehow managed to step on it when I tried to pick it up!!

That‘s a very sad destiny for such a lovely car 😪 

On 5/19/2022 at 11:25 PM, Andy J said:

Hiya Johnny looking forward to the next update 🙂👍

Thank you Andy, here it comes :) 

So I made a slow start by cleaning the engine, brake, suspension and some other technical parts. Overall the individual parts are looking quite good, with little cleaning needed and only a couple of few sink marks to be filled.

awuNoWy.jpg

The bodywork however will need a little filling and sanding to smoothen out some imperfections around the rear side windows. Also Revell have been a bit generous with sink marks when it comes to the roof, here also some filling and sanding will be required. 

eXZDyZz.jpg

As mentioned elsewhere, I was lucky to come across a well assorted hobby shop on a recent trip to Munich. So primer, clear coat, polishing compound and some other random stuff has been secured. 

rOwz3Kj.jpg

Still need to order the paints and based on your kind inputs I will be going for Gravity Colors. Most likely Porsche Gulf Blue (the fastest color for a 911 😉), which could end up looking something like this. 

ZrfjMz0.jpg

In my mind there is absolutely nothing wrong with an original 911, but to follow the trend of the real world Porsche communites, I was thinking more of going in the direction of a personalized 911. So I played around with an app on my iPad, to get an impression of how various colors would work together. 

My theme colors will be gulf blue, gulf orange, white and black, which will be reflected throughout the car, exterior as well as interior. 

So let‘s start with some sticker-tuning (which we all know will add at least 20hp to any car 😁). 

Er5tsrp.jpg

I have found a couple of companies doing the Carrera stickers, will have to see what I can source online. 

Also added some white, blue orange to the wheels. 

TkSN8Tj.jpg

In principle all sorts of combinations are possible, but for now at least I have kind of settled on the third option below with the white Carrera sticker and orange wheels. 

kaEB0kk.jpg

Now just to take it a step further, I‘ve been looking at getting a cleaner look of the car. I really do like the 911 G-model, but I think Porsche went a bit excessive on replacing the 1970’s chrome with the 1980’s modern black. 

This is where we stand at the moment, call it “outlaw” if you like. 

7K0dry8.jpg

My artistic skills are somewhat limited, but it will give an idea about how the car could look. Also got some ideas for a nose and tail job, but I would have to visualize that as well to see how it would work. For the interior I have plenty of plans too … 

Next up is putting some black primer on the parts I have already cleaned and then it’s time for some engine work. 

Thanks for watching and as always comments, suggestions and other inputs would be welcomed 🙏 

• Like 8

Hiya JB I think you're idea of personalising your Porsche is a great one and being able to visualise your build is a massive bonus. I like most of the variations you've shown but...for me anyway....the first single pic is definitely the one I would build. I can't explain why other than to say...it just looks right....if that makes any sense 🤔👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking more of going in the direction of a personalized 911.

Fine idea, a man after my own heart! Oh to have the money to do a real one! :)

This is where we stand at the moment, call it “outlaw” if you like. 

I like!! :nodding:

Although personally I'd be tempted with orange decals too - or white wheels with the white stickers, as a sort of homage to a 73 RS. 

I've got a stalled 'in progress' Tamiya 930 Turbo in which I've removed the 'bellows' at the end of the bumpers (sanded and filled them) and also sanded off the raised black rubber trim pieces on the bumper, and left off the rear 'over-riders'. Gives the car a 911SC RS look. I think that would look good on a standard body G model, especially without the rear spoiler?

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1984-porsche-911-sc-rs/

Looking forward to whatever you choose!

Keith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2022 at 11:02 PM, Andy J said:

Hiya JB I think you're idea of personalising your Porsche is a great one and being able to visualise your build is a massive bonus. I like most of the variations you've shown but...for me anyway....the first single pic is definitely the one I would build. I can't explain why other than to say...it just looks right....if that makes any sense 🤔👍

Thanks a lot Andy for your input, makes perfect sense 👍 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 11:26 PM, keefr22 said:

Although personally I'd be tempted with orange decals too - or white wheels with the white stickers, as a sort of homage to a 73 RS. 

Thanks Keith for your many suggestions!

A 73 RS “tribute” would look something like this then: 

AlWgnuY.jpg

Here the two orange/white combinations for comparison:

PYatgub.jpg

Leaning towards white Carrera sticker with white rims.

In the pictures above, only the 5 spokes on the rims have been done in contrasting colours, but if I can pull off a 3 colour wheel in 1:24 is maybe at bit optimistic :) 

On 5/23/2022 at 11:26 PM, keefr22 said:

I've got a stalled 'in progress' Tamiya 930 Turbo in which I've removed the 'bellows' at the end of the bumpers (sanded and filled them) and also sanded off the raised black rubber trim pieces on the bumper, and left off the rear 'over-riders'. Gives the car a 911SC RS look. I think that would look good on a standard body G model, especially without the rear spoiler?

Though I very much like this idea, I kind of like keeping the black bellows and the black rubber trim on the bumpers, as to keep some of the G model “dna”. In the pictures above I have removed the over-riders on the rear bumper, which gives it a much cleaner look. The car in the link you have shared looks fantastic, what a clean car 👍 In fact I just noticed that the Revell kit got two options for the front lower spoiler, one being without the lower rubber “lip”, like the car in the link you have posted. Think I would prefer that. 

W3dkSmx.jpg

If I could mange to cut out the recesses for the fog lights and just leave them open and then leave the license plate off, I think we are getting there for the nose job!

Would yellow headlight covers work on an outlaw 911 in gulf blue? 

For the tail then; no over-riders, large US style license plate holder with California plates and a large orange PORSCHE sticker on the engine lid lower part ?? 

Cheers, 

Johnny b 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Andy J said:

It's your build JB whatever makes you happy mate 👍 

What Andy said! And I'm sure whatever you come up with it's going to look cool! :coolio:

4 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Would yellow headlight covers work on an outlaw 911 in gulf blue? 

No idea, would never even have thought of that! :)

Keith

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Another paint related question for you gents out there having experience with Gravity Colors.

So, I‘m going to order some paint from Gravity Colors in Spain and was wondering if it would need thinning before airbrushing and if so which thinner to use?
I have Mr. Color Levelling Thinner 400 to be used for the Mr. Finishing Surface primer and the GX100 Super Clear, but would that be suitable for the Gravity Paints as well? 

Also, with what do I best clean the airbrush after using Gravity paints? Would Mr. Tool Cleaner R 400 work you think? 

Cheers in advance! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Afternoon all,

Another paint related question for you gents out there having experience with Gravity Colors.

So, I‘m going to order some paint from Gravity Colors in Spain and was wondering if it would need thinning before airbrushing and if so which thinner to use?
I have Mr. Color Levelling Thinner 400 to be used for the Mr. Finishing Surface primer and the GX100 Super Clear, but would that be suitable for the Gravity Paints as well? 

Also, with what do I best clean the airbrush after using Gravity paints? Would Mr. Tool Cleaner R 400 work you think? 

Cheers in advance! 

First off no need to thin the gravity paints they come already thinned for airbrush use just a good shake or stir required. For cleaning out the airbrush I simply use cellulose thinners which is simple and effective but remember these items stink so I would recommend a mask a spray booth with extractor and plenty of ventilation 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andy J said:

First off no need to thin the gravity paints they come already thinned for airbrush use just a good shake or stir required. For cleaning out the airbrush I simply use cellulose thinners which is simple and effective but remember these items stink so I would recommend a mask a spray booth with extractor and plenty of ventilation 🙂👍

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

What Andy said - spot on as usual. If you don't have cellulose (laquer) thinner, Mr Levelling thinner works just as well for cleaning.

Keith

Thank you gents 🙏, as always you are on your marks to help a fellow modeller 👍 

• Like 2