Revell 1/700 HMS Invincible

Ships are not my usual build, but I fancied a build of her, remembering my time on her in 92 & 93. Built from the box, with the exception of a phalanx added at the bow, not strictly accurate, but looked a bit better with it and some etched brass guard rails around the top of the Island and along the Alaskan Highway. The one thing that was a pain, was the white lines on the deck, which are raised. I tried masking, but did not go so well and looking at the pictures, some of the etch is a bit wonky and no pingers, which is a big minus. I will have to have another go at this kit and make a better representation of her, for the 1992 period. Thanks for looking. Yours Aye, Neil

HMS Invincible

HMS Invincible

HMS Invincible

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marcello Rosa said:

Congratulations. How did you find the kit? Any difficult parts other than the deck lines?

Hi Marcello, it did require some care assembling, some mis alignment of the Island and the hull. I had to use a bit of filler and sanding to make it look ok. Fitting the gantrys took a bit of alignment and gluing a section of it at a time using plastic weld, so that they did not move and even then I could have done better. Nothing too bad really, just basic modelling. Cheers Neil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I saw this kit in the shop today and almost carried it home on impulse. Decided not to buy until some questions in my head are answered. 
I am building the Airfix 1/600 Fearless now and I wonder how much difference between a 1/700 and 1/600. Will the ships look out of scale if put together?

Did both ships ever sail together during the Falklands war or they were always separated?

I am playing with the idea of putting both ships together on a diorama.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2024 at 15:19, Cklasse said:

Will the ships look out of scale if put together?

Did both ships ever sail together during the Falklands war or they were always separated?

Almost certainly yes. unless there is a representative distance between them which would mean a fairly large diorama.

Not as far as I recall though there may have been occasions when the amphibs were close to the carriers during cross-deck ops.   I don't think I've ever seen a photo of the pair of them together in 82.

On 14/01/2024 at 15:19, Cklasse said:

Will the ships look out of scale if put together?

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Almost certainly yes. unless there is a representative distance between them which would mean a fairly large diorama.

In most circumstances I'd agree with Chewbacca, but on the diorama front the difference in scales could be used in forced perspective. If the diorama is to be viewed from one side only, with the 1/600 model to the front and the 1/700 model behind ( and maybe something in 1/1200 in the background?) it will give the informed viewer the impresssion that the smaller scale ships behind are further away from the larger scale ships in the foreground than they actually are.

The principle is best explained by Father Ted:-

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

In most circumstances I'd agree with Chewbacca, but on the diorama front the difference in scales could be used in forced perspective. 

Funnily enough, I was only thinking about this while driving home from work today and thought that I should edit my post to say exactly the same thing, but you beat me to it.  There used to be a diorama at the Tank Museum at Bovington of the Battle of Amien that had 1/76 tanks in the foreground stretching back to about 1/400 at the back.  But that was restricted viewing with a window on one side only.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty much how she looked to me on ORIENT 92 and the first of those Adriatic trips in '93. If you do have a go at her look in 92 & 93, the big giveaways will be the 996 radar  (not 992 as per Revell) and somehow try & cut out the port aft goalkeeper mounting in the stern........oh and dirty up the decks :) 

34 years later and I find my self working with 2 other Invincible '92 members, and here in sunny Bahrain, they even have her old bow anchor as a gate guard. Some ships clearly never die