Hawker Hurricane Mk I Tropical - 73 Squadron North Africa, 1942

Very neat work and excellent photography. catching that harsh desert glare very well.

One point regarding wear on the prop, and this was something I learned on here from pliots comments, @Work In Progress I think, that prop blades wear most on the back! 

To do with airflow, but the back will often scour back to bare from the tip,  while the front is overall in good shape.

It hard to see on photos, as it frequently look like the picture has just over exposed,  or light reflectance.  

Hurricanes_260_Squadron_El_Ballah_1942_2

Hurricanes_260_Squadron_5.jpg

as the above are not really clear, and I know you work hard to get details right..

this is a Beaufighter, note the bare metal

3581858906_53fea3bd7d_b.jpgBeaufighter . by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Here's one I could find, as I posted this before about Marina Corsairs on crushed coral strips, very abrasive, useful as it shows what I mean about the front vs back wear

same plane

front

F4U-1A_Corsair_5_of_VF-17_maintenance_at

back, note the lower blade is still black at root, and bare metal at tip.

F4U_Corsair_5_of_VF-17_Green_Islands_Mai

again, the lower blade  being in shadow clearly shows the remaining black

F4U_Corsair_735_VMF-214.jpg

I mention this as you could probably just spray some aluminium paint from behind if you wished...

once you know about this, you can spot it very commonly on any metal propped plane that was been used in a abrasive dust strip.

HTH

Edited by Troy Smith
spelling.
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Very neat work and excellent photography. catching that harsh desert glare very well.

One point regarding wear on the prop, and this was something I learned on here from pliots comments, @Work In Progress I think, that prop blades wear most on the back! 

To do with airflow, but the back will often scour back to bare from the tip,  while the front is overall in good shape.

It hard to see on photos, as it frequently look like the picture has just over exposed,  or light reflectance.  

Hurricanes_260_Squadron_El_Ballah_1942_2

Hurricanes_260_Squadron_5.jpg

as the above are not really clear, and I know you work hard to get details right..

this is a Beaufighter, note the bare metal

3581858906_53fea3bd7d_b.jpgBeaufighter . by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Here's one I could find, as I posted this before about Marina Corsairs on crushed coral trips, very abrasive, useful as it shows what I mean about the front vs back wear

same plane

front

F4U-1A_Corsair_5_of_VF-17_maintenance_at

back, not the lower blade is still black at root, and bare metal at tip.

F4U_Corsair_5_of_VF-17_Green_Islands_Mai

again, the lower blade  being in shadow clearly shows the remaining black

F4U_Corsair_735_VMF-214.jpg

I mention this as you could probably just spray some aluminium paint from behind if you wished...

once you know about this, you can spot it very commonly on any metal propped plane that was been used in a abrasive dust strip.

HTH

Great photos - just the kind of thing I spend hours looking at. Yeah, good input. I hadn't noticed that excessive wear on the rear. It's quite apparent when one looks. Cheers Troy! 

• Thanks 1

That is just stupendous mate!  :worthy:  Your model and the photography are first rate, and the pics are very convincingly "real".     I always take my model photos outdoors, with natural light, in a "natural" setting as well.   Your work here could easily pass as vintage wartime photos! :D

Also, kudos for your excellent website!  That is so cool, and full of great stuff.   Thanks for having it linked🍻

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice comments and feedback everyone! 

I tried a couple of new things (for me) on this model. One of which was rubbing back through the paint layers...

The model was painted with an aluminium colour on all the metal surfaces, and red dope on all the fabric and wood areas. During painting I did the usual chipping back but also did a lot more 'sanding' back of the paint layers. You can see an example of this effect clearly on the replacement rudder. By the way, there's a mistake on the rudder - one side is the A scheme pattern, and the other is the B scheme (or vice versa, I can't remember), but I got the Dark Earth and Mid Stone round the wrong way. 

I also tried to use foil sheet cut into patches and clued over the gun ports - then cut them back from the holes to try and replicate the torn and ragged fabric patches after the guns had fired. But I think that was a bit of a fail. 

I'd like to say that the model isn't displayed in a 'diorama'. It's more just a bit of scene setting that took about 10mins to set up. It's a plywood board with a couple of handfuls of lumpy ready mix mortar (sand and cement) sprinkled on top. And there's a few bits of of the Airfix ground crew set - tool boxes, fire extinguisher (which seems to make it on to every photo shoot) and wheel chocks. The Bedford truck is Airfix too. 

Here's me caught on camera making some fine adjustments...

MG_0993-scaled.jpg

You can see from the shot above that there is very little post-processing on the PC. Mainly cleanup on the seam lines of the background image and I upped the the brightness a bit - so there's no real post photograph 'photoshopping' going on.

And a couple of in-progress shots...

IMG_20210822_202320-scaled.jpg

IMG_20210822_202334-scaled.jpg

Edited by CplPunishment
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...