Above the Karman Line GB Chat

On 5/5/2022 at 5:23 AM, Bobby No Mac said:

Let's make sure that history never forgets the name ... Enterprise

To do this we need to get a few more Cadets at Starfleet Academy to keep the dream alive 👩🏾‍🚀

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

Does this include ground stuff? Actually count me in either way.

Yes it does as long as that ground is on another planetary body...or asteroid or moon. Basically anything that does its thing more than 100km from the surface of this planet.

Adding you to the crew manifest. Welcome aboard!

• Like 1

• bianfuxia changed the title to Coming up to Trans Lunar Injection: Above the Karman Line is halfway there at T minus 15 (space, real or SciFi)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • bianfuxia changed the title to Pushing through Max Q: Above the Karman Line is at T minus 14 (space, real or SciFi)
On 08/05/2022 at 09:16, bianfuxia said:

To do this we need to get a few more Cadets at Starfleet Academy to keep the dream alive 👩🏾‍🚀

Hopefully no one ends up on the Security Guard course - the one where they give you a red shirt...

• Haha 3

I'm going to blame @Ngantek, nothing to do with browsing the manufacturer's site nor my inability to press the 'buy' button.

This is a copy of the kit he mentioned (here)

000.jpg

A MISC Freelancer from the Star Citizen 'verse, together with some cargo crates.

At  least, this might help me resist buying a new ship in game next week (SC have a marketing event starting Friday).

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

I'm going to blame @Ngantek, nothing to do with browsing the manufacturer's site nor my inability to press the 'buy' button.

This is a copy of the kit he mentioned (here)

000.jpg

A MISC Freelancer from the Star Citizen 'verse, together with some cargo crates.

At  least, this might help me resist buying a new ship in game next week (SC have a marketing event starting Friday).

It's a lovely kit. They aren't cheap but neither do they feel unfairly priced. I'll be honest, this kit was the thing that got me back into modelling. I was a bit flippant thinking I could do a flawless worn bare metal finish on a 3dprint resin kit as my first model, so it's sitting on a back-burner while my long suffering test mule Ki-43 gets stripped back to plastic for the 5th time. 

20220304_100152

My one suggestion would be to do a good filler primer sanding treatment on the pieces before any assembly (I did it post assembly join filling to save a step and it just makes access more difficult). I found it hard to see if I'd removed the print lines without putting on a gloss layer, so take a lot of care at this stage. 

PS. Sorry!

Andy

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

It's a lovely kit. They aren't cheap but neither do they feel unfairly priced. I'll be honest, this kit was the thing that got me back into modelling. I was a bit flippant thinking I could do a flawless worn bare metal finish on a 3dprint resin kit as my first model, so it's sitting on a back-burner while my long suffering test mule Ki-43 gets stripped back to plastic for the 5th time. 

{snip}

My one suggestion would be to do a good filler primer sanding treatment on the pieces before any assembly (I did it post assembly join filling to save a step and it just makes access more difficult). I found it hard to see if I'd removed the print lines without putting on a gloss layer, so take a lot of care at this stage. 

PS. Sorry!

Andy

Thanks for the suggestions Andy - the kit does look like a paint before make type, with a fair amount of the interior available.
Your Freelancer looks to be about right for a standard scheme.

Cheers
Robert

p.s. don't be ... blame doesn't equate to guilt ;)

On 5/22/2022 at 7:53 PM, Mike N said:

I'd be interested in joining this, I have a few subjects that would fit the bill and this might help make them actually happen!

Mike 

You're very welcome! Dispatching a shuttle craft to bring you up to orbit!

• Haha 1

• bianfuxia changed the title to Go at Throttle Up: Above the Karman Line is at T minus 13 (space, real or SciFi)
  • 4 weeks later...

We're better than half way there for what would probably be the first space-focused GB ever or at least in a long while.

We've got the Original Seven and the New Nine.

Who's going to be the next to join as the Fourteen?

The Space Race waits for no-one!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Following the discussion with Andy (Ngantek), I completed my own Freelancer:

043.jpg

Experimented with interference colours (the metallic purple/green)

Build thread here.

If this GB goes ahead, I might do something less colourful ...

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • bianfuxia changed the title to Guidance is Internal!: Above the Karman Line is at T minus 11 (space, real or SciFi)
23 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Sign me up. I am prepared to boldly go where I’ve never modelled before…

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Yes please

Welcome aboard the Starship Awesome. 👽🤖👩🏽‍🚀🚀

• Haha 1

• bianfuxia changed the title to We choose to go to the Moon not because it is easy but because it is hard!!: Above the Karman Line is at T minus 10 (space, real or SciFi)

I feel like a lot of people maybe don't build space or sci fi kits for the same reason I often avoid armour - all that weathering and super detailing!

Well, there's two approaches I'd encourage you to consider.

One is the JFK Moonshot logic - we choose to do these things not because they are easy but because they are hard!

The other is what I call the Bianfuxia approach - we choose not to do these things because it's just as much fun without PE!

If either applies to you, please join us with your Star Wars, Star Trek, NASA, Blake's 7, Aliens, Roscosmos...the list goes on!

Edited by bianfuxia
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

• bianfuxia changed the title to We choose to go to the Moon not because it is easy but because it is hard!!: Above the Karman Line is at T minus 10 (space, real or SciFi)
9 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

One is the JFK Moonshot logic - we choose to do these things not because they are easy but because they are hard!

That speach by JFK is just awesome! Thanks for a new oportunity to click and hear it again.

My work schedule is highly erratic, as is sometimes my life, so it's difficult to know what the situation is when and if this GB would happen. Neverthless I must set my goal to participate. I have several suitable kits in the stash, but most of all I would like to build that 1/20 scale Rocketdyne F1 engine. Please sign me up.

SV42.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

That speach by JFK is just awesome! Thanks for a new oportunity to click and hear it again.

My work schedule is highly erratic, as is sometimes my life, so it's difficult to know what the situation is when and if this GB would happen. Neverthless I must set my goal to participate. I have several suitable kits in the stash, but most of all I would like to build that 1/20 scale Rocketdyne F1 engine. Please sign me up.

SV42.jpg

Goodness! I didn't even know a kit like this existed and now I really WANT ONE! 

Welcome aboard and I hope to watch progress on this amazing kit!

• Thanks 1