Heavy Cruiser CORDOBA from Crusher Joe

spacer.png

The 1983 animated feature "Crusher Joe" is chock-full of great mechanical designs by Studio Nue; this is the 1000 m battleship Cordoba, designed by Shoji Kawamori ("Macross"), crushing space pirates acrosss the galaxy.

The Hasegawa kit from their Creator Works line is as good as it gets, with ultra-fine details across the surface. Some seams required a hint of putty, but overall, it's a straightforward build.

I imagine this ship also would look very cool in a Chris Foss inspired scheme.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is the main character's ride, the Fighter 1, also designed by Kawamori:

spacer.png

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

Your photos are fantastic, and the model is beautiful!  The lighting is very well done; it makes the entire thing much more dramatic and realistic.

Edited by ErikT
splellingls
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for watching, guys!

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I have a yet unbuilt Crusher Joe kit, an armoured suit, if memory serves. It's a while since I looked at it!

The armored suit is unfortunately one of the more challenging kits of the old series, but maybe Hasegawa will get around making an update.

1 hour ago, ErikT said:

The lighting is very well done; it makes the entire thing much more dramatic and realistic.

Here's a shot of the basic setup: I put a stiff black cardboard up against a window faching north; the cardboard (or several sheets) are positioned so that they just fill the field of view of the camera. The light from the back will come around the sheet and give you a nice low key silhouette lighting. Placing white sheets in front of the model will add fill light. Put the whole setup at an angle against the window to produce interesting highlights on the model. Use gradient curves in Photoshop to push the background to pitch black.

spacer.png

• Like 4