Mig-21bis, Black 665, 21 Fighter Reg. 665 San Antonio de Los Banos, Cuba, Italeri 1/72nd scale...

John Masters

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 8:29 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice work I was never able to master the pre-shading lines technique, my hands shake too much. I tend to go with color modulation after the main painting. 

Thanks Dennis.  I'm not impressed with mine either.  I've seen things here...things you will not believe!  😄 But thank you.  I am working on improving my technique.

I used Light Ghost Grey for the underside.

52036212821_7727fee5ed_z_d.jpg

52036464369_a2f1555d88_z_d.jpg

Et voila!

52035174177_cf7ef945a1_z_d.jpg

I'll let this dry overnight and mask it off tomorrow.  Crossed fingers for the green, my airbrush nemesis...I guess I'll go very thinned out green coats at a very low pressure.  

--John

• Like 6

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice work John, the undersides look very good indeed.

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice work with the grey, I used the sane on my build. 

Thank you both!  I will start the topside tonight.  Crossed fingers for good luck with the green.

• Like 2

The first thing I did was take a pencil and lightly draw the lines for the blue...

52042613965_5232da78c3_z_d.jpg

And then I painted the blue.  I used very low psi (4-5) and went in really close with barely a tug on the trigger.  I had to clean the needle frequently.  When the blue was all on I went around with the green again (also very low psi, and thinned) and sharpened up some edges, filled some small gaps here and there...then again with the blue for some quick touch-ups.  All airbrush.  I'm quite pleased with the result.  

52042104681_a7510a8fbe_z_d.jpg

It seems bright right now, but once I give it a going over with some Flory-Wash, it'll tone down bit.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, drake122 said:

Looking great. Which Vallejo colors did you use for the camo? I can see 71.121 for the underside but not the rest.🤣

Yes, do please tell which Vallejo colours you used! Lovely job on the camo

25 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

I used some Horatio Caine style CSI super zoom and here are the colors based on the jars pictured:

Vallejo 71.121 grey
Vallejo 71.318 blue
Vallejo 71.303 green

Unless they were some mixtures involved...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice work with the airbrush.

5 psi? I never go lower than 10 - 12 (but I always use masking tape, not having the touch for freehand camo), maybe I should try to lower pressure.

What are your thinning ratio's?

Cheers.

Pat

2 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Very nice work with the airbrush.

5 psi? I never go lower than 10 - 12 (but I always use masking tape, not having the touch for freehand camo), maybe I should try to lower pressure.

What are your thinning ratio's?

Thank you Pat...I didn't thin the blue, and ran it at about 5psi, kept the valve closed down almost to the end and also airbrushed about 5mm from the surface of the aircraft.  It is tricky and I am not so facile yet, but I am getting better.  The green (all greens, btw) I am thinking about 50/50 with Ajax.  Like skim milk and at 4-5psi too, same technique.  Even then I have to stop periodically and clean off the needle.  Green (any green) seems to dry and clog very easily.  So that's what I did there.  I have done this with mottling camo on Bf-109 builds and have been happy.  Learned it here on Britmodeller.  It's all your fault!😆

3 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Thank you!  See below...

2 hours ago, drake122 said:

Vallejo 71.121 grey
Vallejo 71.318 blue
Vallejo 71.303 green

Thank you...you are correct!  No mixtures.  Straight from the bottle, but the green is thinned (see above).  

So I started in on the decals...stencils first.  2 1/2 hours of stencils. Egads.   I always start off thinking, "Oh well...I'll just do the big ones, the ones everyone will see..." Then I begin and I end up using them all...a type of masochism, I suppose.  But they do look good and will look even better when it is all done.  What is it about the Soviet aircraft?  I mean really...so many stencils!  Don't walk, don't touch, don't open, watch out...Jeez!  Probably a stencil somewhere that says, 'Sit here, shut up and fly the plane!"

Beneath...

52042717386_227bec39fd_z_d.jpg

Up top...

52042717396_1d69de66e7_z_d.jpg

And don't you know these stencils are in Cyrillic...you can see the letters. Nice decals.  The physics worked.   I imagine the Cubans would have overpainted them in Spanish.  Let's pretend, shall we? 😉

--John

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

There can't be many more decals left to do now.

Thanks Craig.  Only the Cuban markings, then some varnish, Florywash…landing gear.  Weather tomorrow calls for rain.  Modelling weather.

51 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

And you should be thats a good looking bird. 

Thank you Dennis.  I’m getting better!

• Like 2

The national markings, etc...are on.  No issues with these KoPro decals except I did tear the port fuselage roundel.  I'll wait until they are fully dry and touch it up with some dark blue.  So later...satin varnish.  I'll attach the landing gear and weapons at the very end.

52044827691_01ffb99e2c_k_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5