Monogram 1/48 PBY-5 Catalina with a new tail - Completed

My curiosity got the better of me... After I stated that no colour chips were used to check Vallejo's Model Air Extra Dark Sea Grey before I used it, I decided to take a look. The model photograph below was taken in a colour correct professional photo shooting tent, so I know the LED lighting has not altered the image. The colour chip marked Iliad Design is from a company in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada that Jack recommended on the last project he helped me with, and I trust the accuracy of Iliad's work. I think for me this illustrates that Vallejo has done a bang on job in getting their Extra Dark Sea Grey colour right. I ordered the Fleet Air Arm (WWII Royal Navy Aircraft) colour chart that has a Dark Slate Gray colour chip, so I can check that colour as well.

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 1

At Jack's recommendation I reworked the Temperate Sea Scheme camouflage pattern to better represent what would have been seen on A24-17 in 1942. I wanted a soft edge on the pattern line, but at the same time I wanted the pattern better defined. Finding a balance between the two goals required trial and error. Painting camouflage is also challenging for me because it requires more artistic skill and I tend to be mechanically oriented.

Jack Geratic and I have worked on this project for five months, he is the researcher, the reviewer, and my sounding board. Jack often makes me see things I would have overlooked without his knowledge and insight. I am the mechanic, the plastic-surgeon, and painter. Fairly new to scale modeling, I have learned more with Jack's help than I would have ever learned on my own.

The hull painting is almost ready for a gloss coat in preparation for decals. Once the hull, canopies and decals are finished I will go back to work on the wing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 5

• Sergeant changed the title to Monogram 1/48 PBY-5 Catalina

It's been nearly 2 1/2 weeks since my last progress report. The camouflage painting and decals on the hull of A24-17 are completed and there is a coat of varnish on the hull. Canopy masking and wing assembly is in progress.

The camouflage is RAF Temperate Sea Scheme (TSS) this aircraft was delivered to RAAF service with in January 1942. A24-17 would retain the TSS camouflage during combat operations in the South Pacific until soon after its first major overhaul at Lake Boga, Victoria, Australia in August 1942.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/pacific-strategy-1941-1944

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 8

• Sergeant changed the title to Monogram 1/48 PBY-5 Catalina with a new tail
  • 2 weeks later...

I completed the hull and canopy painting in Temperate Sea Scheme (TSS) camouflage. Next major task is to finish the  parasol wing and float assemblies and then I will be ready to primer and paint the wing in TSS camouflage. There are also three Browning machine guns to be installed after the wing is completed. Please see defensive armament illustration at the bottom of this post.

I used all Vallejo paint products on the interior and exterior with #71.462 Airbrush Flow Improver.

1. Acrylic-Polyurethane Surface Primer #73.601 Grey and #74.602 Black, thinned 3:1 with #71.361 Airbrush Thinner

2. Acrylic Model Air #71.305 Interior Grey Green

3. Acrylic Model Air #71.309 Dark Slate Grey (Camouflage Green)

4. Acrylic Model Air #71.110 Dark Grey (Extra Dark Sea Grey - Camouflage Grey)

5. Acrylic Model Air #71.057 Black (Cockpit Controls)

6. Acrylic Model Air #71.316 Dark Olive Drab (Cockpit Seats)

7. Acrylic Metal Color #77.712 Steel (Cockpit Controls)

8. Acrylic Metal Color #77.725 Gold and #77.710 Copper mixed 1:1 to make Brass (ammunition)

9. Acrylic Resin #70.510 Gloss Varnish, thinned 3:1 with #71.361 Airbrush Thinner

10. Acrylic Resin #70.522 Satin Varnish, thinned 3:1 with #71.361 Airbrush Thinner

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The PBY Catalina was used by the Allies in World War II for reconnaissance, sea rescue and as a patrol bomber, in fact that is what it was designed to do, and it proved very effective. Throughout the war in Europe the United States was sending convoys of fighting men, war material and supplies in ships that were under threat of attack from wolfpacks of German submarines called U-Boats.

The PBY was sent out from both sides of the Atlantic to provide air cover for convoys. A PBY could stay in the air for about 30-hours, but could not refuel at sea, so they had to leave the convoys after 12 to 15 hours and return to base. However, when German submarines were spotted near the surface within their range a PBY could drop Mk. 17 (325 pound) depth charges or use anti-submarine retro rockets from under their wings on unsuspecting U-Boats. The PBY could also carry 500-pound general purpose bombs under their wings which were used on enemy surface vessels and land structures like airfields and fuel depots.

One of the best kept secrets about PBY service in World War II was its involvement in sinking the German Navy's Flagship.

https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/the-american-who-helped-sink-the-bismarck/

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 3

I completed the Catalina's parasol wing float assemblies with Eduard photo-etched cladding. I can report the Eduard cladding fit extremely well on this 25-year-old kit and will give the model addition realism that I have tried to create from photographs. As you can probably guess I am planning to display the Catalina with the floats down in resin water as it might have looked while involved in a sea rescue of a downed pilot and crew. It was standard practice in the south Pacific during the war to have the Catalina crew at battle stations when they were in enemy occupied territory so the canopies would have been opened and the Bowning machine guns manned and at the ready during this kind of operation.

The next step in the wing assembly is the engine detail for which I also have an Eduard kit shown below. From what I have read Catalina pilots kept the engines running while they were on the water, presumably so they could take off in a hurry if the enemy was approaching. Not being a pilot, I have no understanding of what is involved to keep an aircraft stationary with the engines running while they make the rescue attempt. However, I have seen this operation in movies, so it must be true, right?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 8

Gidday, I've noticed earlier (and may have said it) that your paint job is very smooth and your canopies very clear. I know I've mentioned the wingtips becoming the stabilizing floats, I didn't know that until seeing this thread. I knew it was a Catalina that found the Bismarck, but until the previous post I didn't know of the rear-firing .30cal mg under the tail, so I've learned quite a bit from this. Thanks.

Oh and - “You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all the other possibilities.” - I think that's very funny. 😁

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 1:33 PM, Sergeant said:

From what I have read Catalina pilots kept the engines running while they were on the water, presumably so they could take off in a hurry if the enemy was approaching.

If the experiences of our team at HARS with our Cat are anything to go by, it is just as likely to have been so it didn't drift away from the target raft. The Cat is a big sail on the water!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bell209 said:

If the experiences of our team at HARS with our Cat are anything to go by, it is just as likely to have been so it didn't drift away from the target raft. The Cat is a big sail on the water!

That make sense Rob, the engines running to keep the aircraft from drifting away from the raft. Were you a crew member or pilot on PBYs? If you were could you tell me a little about your experience.

I had to look up HARS in Australia and if the link below is correct, Wow what an interesting place to work and visit.

https://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/south-coast/shellharbour-area/albion-park/attractions/hars-aviation-museum-historical-aircraft-restoration-society-and-cafe-connie

Harold

Edited by Sergeant

Gidday, I admit I know little about the engines and the reason for them kept running but it seems logical to me that they wouldn't be shut down in the middle of the ocean incase they don't start up again. It's a policy we have with our vehicle engines and fire pumps during a bushfire. They can be slowed down to idle, but not shut off. Would the same be done to the Cat's engines? Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

That camo looks excellent and now you have painted the glazing it look fantastic.

I've purchased some Valejo FAA colours for a couple of Eduard Hellcats in a Dual-Combo kit I picked up a couple of years ago.  I'm not too pedantic on colour accuracy, to me if it looks close, it will do. We all see colour differently.

Colin

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 1:18 AM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I admit I know little about the engines and the reason for them kept running but it seems logical to me that they wouldn't be shut down in the middle of the ocean incase they don't start up again. It's a policy we have with our vehicle engines and fire pumps during a bushfire. They can be slowed down to idle, but not shut off. Would the same be done to the Cat's engines? Regards, Jeff.

Gidday Jeff, I think you are correct about keeping the engines at an idle, but not shut off to avoid the possibility they would not start up again.

I spent several years at sea and with the wind and waves salt water could easily be blown into engine cowlings or nacelle and open canopies. When I look at the construction of PBYs, I notice the waterline with normal draft was about where the back of the hull and tail section join. It would not take much wind to get water in the aircraft.

PBYs not only have a ship like hull, but they have water-tight bulkheads, bilges, bilge pumps, catwalks and deck plates like of ship. Plus, the inside of the hull is painted in zinc chromate green primer to help prevent corrosion from salt water.

Harold

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 7:54 AM, SafetyDad said:

That’s some neat construction and painting work there. Looks great! 

SD

Thank you, SD, for your positive comments. I have looked at hundreds of aircraft camouflage photographs and the pattern lines range from very hard to very soft, so I tried to create a camouflage pattern that represented what I saw in photographs with a line that was not too hard, but still well defined.

Harold

Edited by Sergeant

2 hours ago, heloman1 said:

That camo looks excellent and now you have painted the glazing it look fantastic.

I've purchased some Valejo FAA colours for a couple of Eduard Hellcats in a Dual-Combo kit I picked up a couple of years ago.  I'm not too pedantic on colour accuracy, to me if it looks close, it will do. We all see colour differently.

Colin

Thank you, Colin.

For several years I have followed a man by the name of Paul Budzik on YouTube who has a channel called Scale Model Workshop. Paul is a retired dentist and experienced modeler. In his videos he points out the importance of well painted canopies that will make a model stand out.

Under his instruction I polished the clear plastic inside and out with Novus #1 before I masked the canopies. Then I used black acrylic-polyurethane surface primer under the finish coats of paint and varnish. Before I removed the masking, I cut along the edges to prevent paint tearing when the masking was peeled off. If the black primer shows around the canopy frame it will appear as rubber gasket material compared to using grey or light colour primer.

Harold

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2022 at 3:20 PM, Sergeant said:

Were you a crew member or pilot on PBYs?

Nope, just a hanger-on. The PBY crew share the same facilities as the AP-3C crew I'm a member of at HARS. I'm a licensed maintenance engineer on the AP-3C and our UH-1s. We don't put our PBY-6A on the water anymore as corrosion and leaks were becoming a serious issue!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now that floats are completed the wing assembly can move forward. I'm working on landing lights and Eduard photo-etched wing and engine detail. When that is finished, I will be ready to give the parasol wing a coat of primer. I plan to leave the 26-inch wing assembly detachable from the hull for convenience in storage until I build a resin water diorama for display.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

Fantastic build. This thread was very interresting to follow!
I specially love the canopy work, truly inspiring.

In your original post you said you in heinsight would have chosen to modify a PBY-5A kit instead of replacing the "bloated" tail. I have tried to perform some Google-investigation myself, but do you know if there are other significant (?) differences between the amphibious PBY-5A and the water-landing-only versions? I ask because I have to make a similar decision as you faced before your project.

I plan on doing a complicated build of a specific Catalina Mk. IVB from 333 sqn (KK-N, JX381, 73040). I addition to remove the retractable wheels I will have to cover gun turret at the front of the aircraft. It was used by a civilian Company (Vingtor Luftveier A/S) before it was bought by the Royal Norwegian Airforce in 1948. The aircraft crashed on Bear Island (Bjørnøya) in march 1954 while returning from Spitsbergen where it dropped mail to the mining settlements there. The story is personal to me, if it wasn´t I would have chosen an easier project... 

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2022 at 1:28 AM, EirikB said:

Fantastic build. This thread was very interresting to follow!
I specially love the canopy work, truly inspiring.

In your original post you said you in heinsight would have chosen to modify a PBY-5A kit instead of replacing the "bloated" tail. I have tried to perform some Google-investigation myself, but do you know if there are other significant (?) differences between the amphibious PBY-5A and the water-landing-only versions? I ask because I have to make a similar decision as you faced before your project.

I plan on doing a complicated build of a specific Catalina Mk. IVB from 333 sqn (KK-N, JX381, 73040). I addition to remove the retractable wheels I will have to cover gun turret at the front of the aircraft. It was used by a civilian Company (Vingtor Luftveier A/S) before it was bought by the Royal Norwegian Airforce in 1948. The aircraft crashed on Bear Island (Bjørnøya) in march 1954 while returning from Spitsbergen where it dropped mail to the mining settlements there. The story is personal to me, if it wasn´t I would have chosen an easier project... 

Good morning and thank you, Eirik. I understand your question. I am not sure there is a significant differences between the PBY-5 and 5A kits. A short time after Jack Geratic and I started our Catalina build we became aware of the tail bloat issue. By then I had purchased the kit on eBay and Jack found the Belcher Bits tail conversion kit, so we went ahead with the PBY-5 build, not understanding how much work was involved.

I was under an impression at the time a design (tooling) issue existed only in the original Monogram PBY-5 kit (1995 release) which according to Scalemates.com had new tooling (presumably this is when the tail bloat issue started). https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-5609-consolidated-pby-5-catalina--152874 That impression left me with a belief the PBY-5A would have been a better choice for conversion to a PBY-5.

However, recently I noticed there is no tooling change mentioned in Scalemates.com for the 1996 release of Revell Monogram PBY-5A, only new parts were added. This coupled with the fact their 1995 fuselage had wheel wells shown in the form of a rivet pattern lead me to believe Revell used the same tooling with minor modification for both the PBY-5 and 5A. Please see page from Monogram assembly instructions below.

Also please notice on the Scalemates.com timeline below that none of the subsequent releases from Monogram, Revell or Hasegana mention new tooling. Therefore, it's my belief the tail bloat issue was never corrected on their PBY-5A kits. So, in answering your question, If you want the model to represent a Catalina Mk. IVB you would in my opinion be better off with a Monogram PBY-5 kit rather than a Revell Monogram PBY-5A kit because of the extra work involved.

It's my understanding the Catalina Mk. IVB is a PB2B-1 manufactured by Boeing of Canada to Consolidated Aircraft design specifications for the RAF and RCAF from 1942. There were 240 built and yes from the photograph you posted, and shown below the Belcher Bits tail conversion kit would give you that authentic PBY appearance. http://www.belcherbits.com/images/148conv/bb5inst.pdf

spacer.png

spacer.png

Photograph and illustration below from EirikB post.

50848541152_8a1c97a90e_b.jpg

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 5

This photograph is intending to show what tail bloat looks like on a 1/48 Revell Monogram PBY Catalina. It is sad really because the kit is otherwise very well engineered and manufactured.

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 2

I completed as much of the wing and engine assembly as I can before I start painting. The next step is a little putty on a few places along the seams then a coat of primer. If all look right after the primer dries, then a second coat of primer and I can start the camouflage painting. The engines, cowlings and propellers are not glued together yet they will be painted separately from the wing. There are also several fragile antennas that will be added after the camouflage painting is completed to prevent damage.

Harold

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Gidday Harold, I've found that close-up photos are often unkind to a paint job, showing the build warts-and-all, my models anyway. But in your build here they seem to show the extremely good finish that you've achieved. especially around the cockpit. Well done. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Harold, I've found that close-up photos are often unkind to a paint job, showing the build warts-and-all, my models anyway. But in your build here they seem to show the extremely good finish that you've achieved. especially around the cockpit. Well done. Regards, Jeff.

Thank you, Jeff for your encouragement.

Harold

Edited by Sergeant

I have the second coat of Vallejo #73.601 Grey surface primer on the parasol wing. A few members have commented on the smooth finish I have on the hull, it starts here with a smooth coat of primer. I like acrylic-polyurethane primer because it has good adhesion, it dries fast and there is very little smell.

I mix the primer 3:1 with Vallejo Airbrush Thinner in a glass mixing jar, so I have enough primer ready for several coats. For large areas like this 26-inch parasol wing and the 16-inch hull I use an Iwata #RG-3 Mini Spray Gun with a 1.0mm nozzle instead of an airbrush.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1