Airbus A321NEO Air New Zealand,all black livery,Revell 1/144

This is the new Revell tooling of the A321NEO.

For their A320NEO and A321NEO ,Revell decided to create a complete new tooling and not only pack new engines in an old boxing.

This was a good idea,because their older A320/321 kits had a few errors and became also more and more worn out.

The new kit is a real treat 

Everything fits snuggly,the parts layout is very well done.

It took me 2 afternoons to build the kit,no filling was needed,except the windows,so the painting could begin almost immediately.

This was also a straight forward task.

Fuselage all black,then gloss coated with future.

Wings the usual greys and aluminium for the leading edges.

I actually planned to have clear windows,until I found out that Air New Zealands A321NEOs have a different windows/door layout...

Until then I thought Airbus only has one layout except the number of emergency exits.Well...you always learn something new...

The decals are from PAS decals and are nicely printed and opaque even on such a dark surface,something I had worries about in the beginning.

The windows are again from Authentic Airliners and all details come from the great Revell decal provided with the kit.

A very relaxing and quick build.

Cheers 

Alex

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 46

Really nice job, well done                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Cheers Michael.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BerndM said:

Perfect work and the livery looks great.

Good to know about the quality of the kit and decals.

Thank you very much.

The Revell kit is great and I can recommend it.

2 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

That is inspirational. 

Thank you very much

1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

Awesome Airbus, great work !

Wulfman

Thank you very  much Wulfman

42 minutes ago, michael301757 said:

Really nice job, well done                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Cheers Michael.

Thank you very much Michael

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Thank you very much.

The Revell kit is great and I can recommend it.

Thank you very much

Thank you very  much Wulfman

Thank you very much Michael

Another one for the shopping list. 😊

• Like 1

Hi Alex, that’s just gorgeous. Congratulations on a beautiful model.

One feature of the Revell Neos I’m not keen on is the very light scribing on the wings. On all the examples I’ve seen there are sink marks on the upper wings and if you try to fill these you will lose the scribing for the spoilers and other details. Did you do anything to improve the scribing?

Dave G

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is brilliant Alex, one on my purchase list, nice to see it builds well & looks fabulous. :)

Steve.

Thank you very much Steve.

14 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Paint looks great, nice work.

Thank you very much

13 hours ago, MikeA said:

Beautiful smooth surface on that! Love the livery!

Cheers,

Mike

Thank you very much Mike

Air New Zealands livery was always among my favourites And the all black version has a certain touch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Hi Alex, that’s just gorgeous. Congratulations on a beautiful model.

One feature of the Revell Neos I’m not keen on is the very light scribing on the wings. On all the examples I’ve seen there are sink marks on the upper wings and if you try to fill these you will lose the scribing for the spoilers and other details. Did you do anything to improve the scribing?

Dave G

Thank you very much Dave.

Thats interesting.On my kit were no sinkmarks at all...🤔

The flaps are indeed very finely recessed and while painting the wings,careful use of paint is needed,otherwise they are gone.

I airbrushed the grey in very thin layers not from above onto the surface,I sprayed horizontal,like the air flow.

After dry,I used a sharp and hard pencil to scribe along the lines to highlight them a bit.Then clear coated with semi gloss varnish.

• Thanks 1

absolutely not a fan of window decals, so as you said i also would have loved to see clear windows on that from you :D , but despite it is really nice shiny model and an authentic replica. the one and only minor critique point maybe is that the real thing doesnt have a silver frame around the cockpit windows.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RCI said:

absolutely not a fan of window decals, so as you said i also would have loved to see clear windows on that from you :D , but despite it is really nice shiny model and an authentic replica. the one and only minor critique point maybe is that the real thing doesnt have a silver frame around the cockpit windows.

Thank you very much.

To have clear windows,I would have to create a larger number of windows by myself,which is,at least for me,impossible to achieve in the same shape and size as per the fuselage openings.If Air New Zealand had the same window/door arrangement as provided on the model,I would have left the windows clear.

And I also did not want to have a mix,open/ decals on the model.

You are right about the cockpit windows.

The PAS decal sheet had a thin white frame for it,but the frame had not the same size as the Authentic Airliners window.

If I had not used any frame,the windows would have been barley visible on the black,which would have looked a bit strange on the model.Thats why I decided to use a silver frame from the AA set.The frames provided on the Revell sheet are way too wide

10 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Thank you very much.

To have clear windows,I would have to create a larger number of windows by myself,which is,at least for me,impossible to achieve in the same shape and size as per the fuselage openings.If Air New Zealand had the same window/door arrangement as provided on the model,I would have left the windows clear.

And I also did not want to have a mix,open/ decals on the model.

You are right about the cockpit windows.

The PAS decal sheet had a thin white frame for it,but the frame had not the same size as the Authentic Airliners window.

If I had not used any frame,the windows would have been barley visible on the black,which would have looked a bit strange on the model.Thats why I decided to use a silver frame from the AA set.The frames provided on the Revell sheet are way too wide

i absolutely see your point, thats why i always stayed away from ANZ liveries :D

• Haha 1

Another stunner Alex, it is a very different scheme to just about all other modern airliners.

Interestingly I am currently building this same kit, and mine is plagued with sink marks, particularly the wheel hubs and engine cowlings. I also had trouble with the fit of the clear cockpit 'cap'. Strange how two people building the same kit can have such different experiences of it! It is a nice kit though, particularly if you can get an example without all the sinks marks.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

What a great model! 👍

What a great colour-scheme! 👍

Thank you very much

12 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Very smart looking aircraft.

Thank you very much

12 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Nice build. 

The final gloss coat matches the real thing nicely. 

AirnewzealandA321-271-ZK-NNA-1

Thank you very much.

Nice photo by the way

11 hours ago, gingerbob said:

One of the nicest airliner builds I've seen!  (to be fair, most of the ones I've seen look good, but this just...)

Thank you very much,very kind 

9 hours ago, Maginot said:

A striking model very nicely finished.

Thank you very much

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

She's a stunner Alex,flawless finish!

Thank you very much Steve

6 hours ago, Viking said:

Another stunner Alex, it is a very different scheme to just about all other modern airliners.

Interestingly I am currently building this same kit, and mine is plagued with sink marks, particularly the wheel hubs and engine cowlings. I also had trouble with the fit of the clear cockpit 'cap'. Strange how two people building the same kit can have such different experiences of it! It is a nice kit though, particularly if you can get an example without all the sinks marks.

Cheers

John

Thank you very much John.

I probably got lucky by recieving one of the first batch.

As I found out with Revell's airliner kits is,that the moulds seem to get worn out and/or dirty quite quickly.They seem not to take too much care of the moulds.

9 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

Stunning build of a Livery from my favourite part of the world.

Thank you very much

• Like 1