Boeing 757-200 America West Diamond Backs livery

My first Zvezda 757 build ,and I have to say it is a wonderful kit that goes together perfectly.

Almost no filling required,all parts fit neatly.

I had actually plans for the 757 with the Phoenix Suns livery but the seller sent me the wrong sheet although the correct instructions.

While I checked photos of the Diamond Backs livery I found it also very attractive,so I decided to keep the decals and build it in this livery.

The greenish fuselage colour had to be mixed.

As these paints were Humbrol flat paints,I clear coated it with Future,as my usual Gunze varnish wasnt enough to get a smooth surface for the decals.

The decals are Brasil Decals,they offer a great variety of liveries and the quality so far was quite good.

But here the decals,esp. the red/gold stripes didnt want to stick on the model and most of the elements tended to silver after dry.

Lots of careful trimming away the clear film took care of the silvering,not perfect but a lot better than without.

Some elements overlay,so I clear coated them between each step to ensure that they will stay on the model.

Some trimming was necessary as the decals are actually meant for the Minicraft kit.

The windows are from Authentic Airliners and details are from the kit and a 757 detail set.

Its in my opinion not quite up to my usual standard due to the problematic decals but it looks good in the showcase.

Cheers

Alex

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 25

37 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

That's a lovely build,any plans to do the others....

Thank you very much.

If there are other decals available from other manufacturers than Brasil Decals,I might consider it.

• Like 1

As I lived in Glendale, Arizona, I got out to the airport often and saw these beauties. You've done a most impressive job on completing this kit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

I had actually plans for the 757 with the Phoenix Suns livery but the seller sent me the wrong sheet although the correct instructions

Well done on turning that lemon into lemonade.

Fantastic looking 757 there. 

• Thanks 1

That looks fantastic Alex, a super result in spite of your decal problems. Speaking of which, have you considered this below for your decalling. It is very good with decals that won't stick down.

Steve 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SAT69 said:

As I lived in Glendale, Arizona, I got out to the airport often and saw these beauties. You've done a most impressive job on completing this kit.

Thank you very much.

It must have been nice to see them in real.Those special liveries from America West looked great

2 hours ago, BerndM said:

Superb build in a beautiful ( but unknown to me ) livery.

Guess it must be fun to build the Zvezda kit.

Thank you very much.

Yes,the Zvezda kit is superb,a huge improvement over the Minicraft.I recently finished also to Minicraft 757s,they look fine but are absolutely no match for the Zvezda version

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That looks fantastic Alex, a super result in spite of your decal problems. Speaking of which, have you considered this below for your decalling. It is very good with decals that won't stick down.

Steve 

Thank you very much Steve.Also for the link.

i will check that out and see if my local hobbyshop has it 

2 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Absolutely gorgeous !

Wulfman

Thank you very much Wolfman

2 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Well done on turning that lemon into lemonade.

Fantastic looking 757 there. 

Thank you very much

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

Thank you very much Steve.Also for the link.

i will check that out and see if my local hobbyshop has it 

More likely to be your local supermarket, Klear/Future is/was a floor polish, in some areas it had been discontinued but there are alternatives, reading that thread will give you some but there are already threads in this forum pointing out other brands which do the same job.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Hi again Alex. That’s another excellent model despite the decal issues. Thanks for sharing. I really must get my LTU 757 started!

There are many 757 decals available from F-DCAL, Two Six, Nazca, RichW and others. Jon Ochoa at 8A has done a range of liveries specifically to fit the Zvezda kit which includes Finnair, Eva Air, El Al, Monarch, and several varieties of BA. Plenty to keep us all happy!

Dave G

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Hi again Alex. That’s another excellent model despite the decal issues. Thanks for sharing. I really must get my LTU 757 started!

There are many 757 decals available from F-DCAL, Two Six, Nazca, RichW and others. Jon Ochoa at 8A has done a range of liveries specifically to fit the Zvezda kit which includes Finnair, Eva Air, El Al, Monarch, and several varieties of BA. Plenty to keep us all happy!

Dave G

Thank you very much Dave.

I also found decals for LTU,although the very early blue livery of LTS,the former LTU SÜD.

For that one I also bought a set of early RR engines from Sergej Druz.If I had known whats coming,I would have ordered some other engines from him for planned projects as well,now its unfortunately not possible anymore😳

Thats true,there are almost unlimited ways to build 757s,my stash hosts now already 9 of those Zvezda 757s... 😊

1 hour ago, RCI said:

great choice and a well built 757, keep it going!

Thank you very much.

There will be more coming in the next days😉

A couple of TriStars and another Boeing 727

• Like 1

You are certainly achieving an impressive rate of production Alex! As usual a lovely build in an interesting scheme. I have a couple of these in the stash  and need to obtain some British Airways decals foe at least one of them. Maybe then I'll get started, as this one has increased my interest.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Very smart work!

Thank you very much

6 hours ago, Viking said:

You are certainly achieving an impressive rate of production Alex! As usual a lovely build in an interesting scheme. I have a couple of these in the stash  and need to obtain some British Airways decals foe at least one of them. Maybe then I'll get started, as this one has increased my interest.

Cheers

John

Thank you very much John.

I am currently " in the flow" so to speak☺

I got the BA/Caledonian sheet from Ray at 26.

Should be on my to do list next after finishing my Edelweiss A320 and the DC-10 prototype currently under production

Really nice work!

Just built one of these as my second model, not sure its anywhere close to your standard though 😅

Not that I've had much experience, but I thought it was a nice kit as well. 
Shame though as I built up the cockpit, but obviously didn't seal the window properly & ended up with clear coat on the inside 😬. And ended up using the blackout window decal 🤣

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Olly Tindall said:

Really nice work!

Just built one of these as my second model, not sure its anywhere close to your standard though 😅

Not that I've had much experience, but I thought it was a nice kit as well. 
Shame though as I built up the cockpit, but obviously didn't seal the window properly & ended up with clear coat on the inside 😬. And ended up using the blackout window decal 🤣

Thank you very much.

Building models is always a learning by doing experience.

Your skills will improve with each model.

Many times I messed up clear parts or the interior on my build,good thing is,that there are always decals available to hide such things😉

I am also not that skilled yet with clear parts and interior on small models,currently I work on a 1/144 A320 where I plan on having open windows and a nice detailed flightdeck.Lets see if I can get that done nice☺