LDM 1:48 Mew Gull, Christen Eagle, ASK13 (white metal)

Hi Greggles,

A tip from the great Gordon Stephens - to get a smooth part, mould the first one, leave it in place, then mould another directly over it. Some PETG's can stick together though, so be prepared to experiment. This does work really well with standard white styrene.

I have limited success applying a finish to the buck, as the heat tends to affect it and either lift it or cause it to stick to the part on removal.

My normal process is just before use, to warm the finished buck over the oven ring, this drives off excess moisture, raises the 'grain' of the buck which is then sanded off with very fine sandpaper, I repeat this a couple of times immediately before making a moulding.

Using thicker PETG seems to result in a better opticaly clear part rather than thinner, so its worth experimenting with different thicknesses.

I have had poor success making bucks from balsa wood or pine as the grain tends to show through after heating from the moulding process.

I have successfully used Jelutong (very fine grain wood used for pattern making) or Ureol - I have not tried body filler, but as above can imagine that this would work well.

One of my flying models in the American style with a canopy made using a Jelutong buck.

2008-09-15-01.jpg

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Although the impetus for these builds came from this forum, I did not think I would be doing my own WIP for them, and did not take early photos, so much of the above notes have been a bit reliant on your imagination.

I don't know why I did not think to do so before, but you may notice I have now added a couple of photos to the build notes using the original masters to illustrate the parts breakdown a bit better. I hope they are of interest.

Meanwhile, the Christen Eagle is now white (or green as we learnt earlier!). Probably needs another coat, but this is how she looks.

52072918235_1162c66276_z.jpgcewhite by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52072917080_a9d458b049_z.jpgcesky by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

Just for fun, whilst I was rummaging in the masters, I thought we could compare the CE with another well known sporting biplane. At this point I will mention that both sides have very tetchy lawyers. 

52072441143_571552077d_z.jpgcompare by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

So far, so actually less similar than first glance might imply.

Now lets look at the upper wings

52071386507_7aa0b1d828_z.jpgwingcomp by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

And then overlay them

52072914900_33b70c0c69_z.jpgwingover by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

At which point my lawyers advise that there is obviously no similarity between the two. None. Honestly guv'nor.

This next photo is for Greggles.

52072440041_e037357de7_z.jpgcaudron by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

Enjoy the weekend sunshine,

Matt.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

52083007440_2b77a7735e_z.jpgasktail by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

Whilst the CE was getting another coat of paint and looks way better IRL but no different on camera, I thought the ASK could do with livening up a bit. Its not a sunburst, granted, but it breaks up the reddy redness.

@k5054nz you might like this

52082538058_3a7eaacee4_z.jpgjodel1 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52082519526_3458ab7a54_z.jpgjodel2 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52081482937_9012260629_z.jpgjodel3 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

The uc is a bit skewy as its just balanced there, just four pieces, fuselage, baseplate, and each uc leg. Lovely looking model and it cast nicely too, the shame of it is its to 1:70th which is no good to anyone. I have never been sure what the point of the '125' desktop range was (constant 125mm wingspan across the board) ,but it seems a lost opportunity for the sake of a few mm, 1:72 would have been 121mm.  Some of the others in the range I do remember were also near misses.

I think a fair few of the Jodels made it into the wild, mainly as desktops but some in primer at least so they might turn up on the auction sites. Most things seem too eventually!

Matt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2022 at 4:13 AM, Farmer matt said:

@k5054nz you might like this

52082538058_3a7eaacee4_z.jpgjodel1 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52082519526_3458ab7a54_z.jpgjodel2 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52081482937_9012260629_z.jpgjodel3 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

The uc is a bit skewy as its just balanced there, just four pieces, fuselage, baseplate, and each uc leg. Lovely looking model and it cast nicely too, the shame of it is its to 1:70th which is no good to anyone. I have never been sure what the point of the '125' desktop range was (constant 125mm wingspan across the board) ,but it seems a lost opportunity for the sake of a few mm, 1:72 would have been 121mm.  Some of the others in the range I do remember were also near misses.

I think a fair few of the Jodels made it into the wild, mainly as desktops but some in primer at least so they might turn up on the auction sites. Most things seem too eventually!

Be still, my beating heart! I've wanted a Jodel model since I was very young - is there any chance these masters could be used for a resin or white metal kit with transparencies, allowing the builder to add their own interior? Or would it by necessity have to be a solid cockpit?

• Like 2

52087568547_9d92e97ac4_z.jpgjodelbase by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

Hi Zac,

It is likely the Jodel could be done in resin, but would probably need to have solid windows. Not to say you couldnt open them up on an individual model, but if you can see the two spars in this pic, they would need removing which would make the fuselage prone to distortion.

I did paint one up many moons ago and it looked ok with the windows just painted, no longer have it unfortunately.

I will make some further enquiries on this at it seems the world is not exactly awash with options Jodel-wise.

Matt.

Edited by Farmer matt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not much progress on the ASK or CE, but look what I've just bought today at the Gatwick Air Enthusiasts fair.

52090147477_8858a7a005_z.jpgmewbox by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

An early boxing, its marked as sample so probably originally went to a mag for review. Someone seems to have tried cleaning up the main castings a bit enthusiastically, but its all there after over 40 years.

Decals for G-AEXF only, but parts for two incarnations of that airframe. And our old Worcester Park address on the instructions.

52091681595_c691bff391_z.jpgmewparts by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

I certainly never thought I would start buying these kits back in, but it was very reasonably priced, and this has been fun so far, so why not?

Matt

• Like 7

• Farmer matt changed the title to LDM white metal 1:48 Christen Eagle and ASK13 now with Mew Gull too

PERCIVAL MEW GULL  1:48 LDM white metal kit

This kit represents the most famous of the five original Mew Gulls, G-AEXF, which survives to this day and is now accompanied by a splendid 'new build' replica.

Unlike the CE and ASK, this kit offers a minefield of options for so few parts. So, to start we have Johnny (or should that be Alex? ) pilot, or not. Then we have two front cowls, and two styles of undercarriage spats to choose from. Also there are two canopies which I forgot to photograph, but haven't lost (yet).

52094859022_7f9c3a70a5_z.jpgmewopt by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

Option A is as originally built and now restored.

Option B is as modified to win the 1938 Kings Cup air race.

There is also an option C, using the short cowl from A and the short spats from B. This depicts the machine as flown to Cape Town in 1939.

As you may be able to discern from the next two pics, options B and C require some major surgery to the fuselage. Also the spinner needs reshaping for A and C.

In addition, it is helpfully noted that to show the aircraft on the ground, the u/c fairings should be reduced in depth to represent the compressed oleos.

PHEW!

52095888026_ba1df1bd7a_z.jpgmewinst by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52094855912_7df4961fcb_z.jpgmewinst2 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

The next shot shows the parts that may need altering, and you can also see the over zealous cleaning up of the previous owner, which will need attending to before anything else.

EDIT   Having sorted this, apart from two particuarly deep scratches on the fuselage, it may be worth mentioning that, whilst the castings do need a good scrub, white metal is soft and whatever the last guy used was way too coarse (steel brush?). 1200 grit or 800 at the very most is more appropiate at this stage in proceedings.

52095882761_df45847717_z.jpgmewg by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

So, a big decision to be made and stuck to. 'A' is the easiest and most recognisable, and probably the sensible option.

EDIT a quick image search seems to muddy the waters somewhat further as to the airframes current appearance. Hmmm.

To be continued...

Edited by Farmer matt
Text
  • Like 2

On 5/22/2022 at 1:08 AM, Farmer matt said:

I will make some further enquiries on this at it seems the world is not exactly awash with options Jodel-wise.

I'd be glad to hear more Matt, thanks for sharing!

The ASK is now at a point where although not fit for  RFI, she is ready for a quick look from a safe distance, preferably without your glasses on!

52098948551_c16d82eb27_z.jpgask03 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52099452405_284f4ef038_z.jpgask01 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52097922072_286098c2f1_z.jpgask02 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52098972013_80d25685f1_z.jpgask04 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

Canopy is not attached, as you will recall I miscut it but it will probably stand being posed open on the ground if I add a couple more bits to the frame. Unfortunately although the basic build ran smoothly, this has been something of a snafu magnet since, and all silly things.

Still no joy finding the CE 's canopy either but aside from that she seems to be ready for decals now, which should be fun.

Matt

• Like 3

I think this is a bit of a save for the ASK.

A couple of tiny masking tape hinges, a bit more framing and a stay bar, and we have an open canopy so no unsightly gaps to worry about. The bodged interior is a bit too visible now though, as is Johnny's Herman Munster impression so that may need some attention!

52104722143_15a7cb3b50_z.jpgaskopen by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52103299614_79d693af4b_z.jpgask13grass by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52103557615_ab0dce66ce_z.jpgask13grass2 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52103044946_8a812d1216_z.jpgask13grass3 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52103078538_6a77917bfb_z.jpgask13grass4 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

The grass is from the hardware store and should be on the patio, so its a bit long here but ok for what it is.

Thanks for looking,

Matt

EDIT  I was pleased enough with this that I took some more pics and she is now up in RFI.  Still might do the wings white at some point though. One down, two to go!

Edited by Farmer matt
Update
  • Like 3

52110171909_de735c53af_z.jpgIMG_7367 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

So now the Eagle can gain her feathers. This, and below the tailplane, is how far I have got so far. I started here because it will get touched least, but probably required more handling of other areas just to get done. That was the theory anyway.

Given they are about 35 years old the decals are quite willing to come off the backing with just warm water, and seem able to withstand a fair bit of handling and snipping. Nothing has disintegrated yet.

Unfortunately the decals are slightly undersize, on the real thing the graphics wrap around the leading edges, although it would probably be a nightmare acheiving that  with transfers.

The feathers are printed as one decal per surface,  which would be great if there were no bracing wires or struts or control housings in the way. So they need to be cut around such obstacles and a deal of touching up is going to be inevitable. Lets hope suitable shades can be found.

I also fear that any alignment between surfaces is going to be more hope and coincidence than anything else.

Matt

• Like 2

More plumage for the Christen Eagle today. I also had a go at touching up some of the decals I applied yesterday and discovered that my nice new purple is nothing like the correct colour. That might help put paid to a future choice, to try and paint the leading edges or leave as white. 

Anyway she is looking much more colourful now, only the fuselage and the top surface of the upper wing to go.

52112949364_ba88dd2d59_z.jpgcedec2 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52113215100_8e2344f334_c.jpgcedecus by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

Hopefully the rest will go on tomorrow,

Matt.

• Like 3

On 5/14/2022 at 9:29 PM, Farmer matt said:

This next photo is for Greggles.

52072440041_e037357de7_z.jpgcaudron by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

Sublime! I’m not sure how I missed this earlier .. thanks Matt! That patina is gorgeous. Reminds me, when I was working on the Knight Twister & posted a WIP update of it largely test-assembled but unpainted, someone suggested then that I ought leave it as polished white-metal. I seriously considered it. But these raw brass masters have a higher level, fine-art authority to them!

Not for me to tell you what to do, but were you to bring these all along to a show (Telford your local??) then you might be pleasantly surprised by the level of interest & appreciation they provoke  ..

• Like 2

Hi Greggles,

I had never really thought to take the masters anywhere, you may be right as they are something most people never get to see. When you live amongst things all the time you tend to take them for granted a bit, and I was really pleased that people enjoyed seeing them on here. 

If I can cobble together enough parts, an all brass build might be a nice idea. Trouble with doing polished castings is they lose the shine quickly, even if you lacquer them they dull down. I did toy with that at the start of the CE, this far in to decalling I'm thinking it might have been a better plan!

Regards,

Matt.

• Like 2

52115493180_4efca71ed0_c.jpgcedectop by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

As you can see, the upper wing is now decalled, just the two halves and straight on with no cutting except a bit off the clear at the join. As you can see I left the fuselage for now as I am still pondering the leading edges, and want somewhere I can touch if I do them.

Part of me says she is quite colourful enough and leave well alone. The problem with painting the edges, aside from any match issues, is that once started thats it, irreversible process, so if it looks terrible its game over.

The other option is that there are spare side decals so they could be cut. That solves the colour match, but the pieces will still either have to conform to the edge or be done as two surfaces and still need painting. Not to mention that it would be an interminable faff.

So, as a distraction, I decided to try and aggregate some of the masters. It is really frustrating that there seems to be some of everything and all of nothing. So for example, with apologies to @texantomcat this is the Chilton.

Edit : photos now in resources thread

The problem with the low parts count is that if one piece is missing, thats half the aeroplane.

This, however, is the DH 71 Tiger Moth monoplane, which is 'only' missing its undercarriage and interior. The latter and lack of canopy not much of an issue though as very little would be visible. To me this is reminiscent of one of Dads old homebuilt control line racers.

I had hoped that the upper fuselage of the Mew Gull would be there as then I could have risked surgery on the casting with a safety net, but alas just the wings and a couple of smaller parts.

Any opinions on the leading edges welcome!

Matt

Edited by Farmer matt
Moved content
  • Like 2

Another LDM Mew Gull just sold on the bay of E, nearly bid but remembered I have one in 1/32.

Nice to see the brass masters, interesting that the wing fillets are solder filed to shape - the simplest solution.

I vote for leaving the LE alone! No one will ever know - oh wait.......

M.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Farmer matt said:

52115493180_4efca71ed0_c.jpgcedectop by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

As you can see, the upper wing is now decalled

So fabulously flamboyant! Looking good..

Re the leading edges, well I’m with @Malc2 .. best leave alone, & stop telling people! I’m afraid - like you - that the risk far outweighs the possible gain.

The only option I could think of which might minimise risk would be to make use of that scan you took of the decals, & have a duplicate set printed. You could then harvest little off-cut strips, without needing to meddle with your fuselage decals, all the while knowing that decal error is much easier to fix than touch-up paint gone awry.  .. & if it goes real bad you can print a 3rd set!!

The unknowable in the above flimsy plan is the colour-match of the printing …

• Thanks 1

Wise counsel prevailed, and now the Christen Eagle is resplendent in her full plumage.

52119123091_81693da594_c.jpgcecoin by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52119278879_899d14b4e2_c.jpgcefull1 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52119277364_29a0a37cbc_c.jpgcefull2 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52119027421_fc59ef21a5_c.jpgcefull3 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

Johnny has taken her up for a final spin before she is grounded for a lacquer coat and an enforced tech stop - ie me learning new skills to make a canopy.

52117994557_a1a8d761d8_c.jpgcesky3 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52119025006_20c7330ab5_c.jpgcesky2 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

52119274954_940e2c72f4_c.jpgcesky1 by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

And so, after a few deviations and snafus along the way, we have eventually reached our initial destination, and have two complete (ish) models.

I would like to thank you all once again for your support, and hope you will stay on board for the next leg featuring the Mew Gull. And who knows what else might turn up along the way.

Because this thread has all the LDM and white metal references, I am going to keep it running rather than start afresh. I hope that is ok with you guys. However, a title change may be forthcoming.

Matt.

Ps.  Malc, if she is near the top of the stash, please could you fish out your 1:32 Mew Gull and put up a couple of sprue shots to compare the parts breakdown for interest. Thanks.

• Like 1