Blood Sweat & Tears: A-1H 1st SOS 1/72eme

Good Morning  Everybody! Here is my second and last USAF Skyraider build, the very nice Hasegawa kit, enhanced with some resin extras. The only challenge was changing the seat, which is a "bang seat" and needs to be completely scratch built. For the rest, no hassles. 

As I wanted to show an aircraft ready for some Sandy Ops, I put a full ordnance, some from the surplus box and others scratch built. The wing tank comes from the aftermarket, it is an A-4 Skyhawk one used by A-1H/J.

As a marking, I chose the famous "Blood Sweat and Tears" because I had a couple of photos of it and also because this beast has been overspread with black paint on the belly. 

Enough talks, the photos:

The real Sky:

spacer.png

My BS&T:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

...and a little diorama: As I had a A-1J extra fuselage coming from a A-1E "Fat Face" build, I decided to represent it as a wreck, used for spare parts and dumped in a corner of the airfield. After consulting the A-1 serial number, i found a good candidate and I did some easy surgery on the front end, scratch built the inner fuselage (unfortunately hidden in the dio) and finally a good strong layer of weathering "SEA style" to finish.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's it for the USAF Skyraider, hope you will enjoy the topic! Critics most welcomed...

• Like 32

That's a keeper. Good work with the well-worn look without heavy panel lines. Interesting scene on the baseboard. Try as I might, couldn't spot a kitchen sink hung on a pylon 🤓

• Thanks 1

Thank you all! just a little correction to this build, the reference picture I took for "Blood Sweat and Tears" is this one:

spacer.png

It seems that during his operational life, BST, like many others, had several variations in its paint scheme.

However "Skyraider.org" provides a lot of other photos of this great airplane! 

• Like 2