Arado Ar(E)555

Got to shake off the cobwebs, or shake up my mojo! Either shoudl work fine!😁

I know there is about a month left for this, but I don't intend do to much other than OOB. The details in this kit help in that. I don't know if Revell did the original molds, but the details are quite nice.

Pics, of course...

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll be using he kit decals.

spacer.png

For PE, I'll using a set for a B-17 for the seat belts.

spacer.png

Sprue shots!

spacer.png

These wheels look great. And they are a single mold, so no gluing halves together. A little sanding will make a nice plat spot on them.

spacer.png

Engine nacelles, fronts and backs.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Gear well doors, again with the great detail in there! They'll have to split for lowered gear.

spacer.png

Cockpit has some great detail as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Detail in the gear wells are nice too, as well as the bomb bay. Although, sorry for those who like to see them displayed, but the doors will be closed up on this.

spacer.png

Fabric control surfaces are nicely done.

spacer.png

And, finally, the top of the wing,

spacer.png

Since this will be a Whif, I'll be using the kit decals, but it'll be natural metal, with the idea that they'd rather save weight so it reaches the target, rather than look nice in its camo.

I may also delete the guns, as another weight saving measure, ala the Tokyo Raid. (and remove the need for AF barrels...)

Hope to get some work started real soon.

Thom

• Like 10

I started on the 'pit. Since I'll be using the PE belts, I sanded off the lap straps, and then covered the unsightly mars with Tamiya tape 'cushions.' 

spacer.png

Same with the engineers seat. Though, unless I can scrounge up another PE lap belt, this one will be getting thin Tamiya straps. Hopefully, it won't be as noticeable as the front seats.

spacer.png

And while those dry, and before painting, I started putting the vertical stabs together.

spacer.png

And since she'll be flying without the weight of defensive armament, I used Part 17, which should go on the bottom of the moveable turret assembly, up onto the top as a blanking plate.

I'll need to plug the hole for the gunner's sight.

spacer.png

T'sall for now! Catch you on the flip-side!

Thom

• Like 7

Well, this is a turn-up. I, erm, may be working on one of these myself, I just hadn't coughed to it yet as I've got far more projects on the go that I really should have! I'm slightly obsessed with this plane and have three in the stash. To answer your question, Revell tooled this and have released it twice; the original in 1998 and the reissue that you have in 2012. I’ve got both, with the 98 moulded in a much lighter yellow-grey plastic. You might want to have a good look over for external ejector marks, which can be pretty big on this one. It’s not consistent either, the 98 one I’ve started is almost devoid of them, the other 98 and the 2012 both have lots.

You’ve made a good start with it so far and I applaud you for the NMF finish, these really do look good in NMF. I just haven’t the confidence in my abilities to try NMF – yet!

If you want some inspiration/heads-up on the pitfalls, Nigel Heath did I fantastic build that can be found here.

James

• Like 1

@81-er Thank you! I did notice some of those exterior ejector marks, and will keep my eyes out for more. As for the NMF, I may not be the best at it, but I'm going for it.😃

And I will definitely read through that link. Thank you!

Thom

• Like 2

One thing that's well worth doing (if making it with the gear down) is modifying the front leg to enable it to be installed after painting. Top of page 2 of Nigel’s thread. I'll look forward to seeing how this progresses, and I might even post up about my own build at some point. 3 evenings in, and there's very little left on the sprues!

James

• Like 1

Didn't expect to see one of these Thom but glad you've brought it in and you're off to a fine start. A natural metal finish sounds great.

• Like 1

And made a few alterations.  Since the guns are being deleted, I filled in the gunner's periscope. I'll see about getting/making a DF loop for that spot.

spacer.png

And at the rear, I cut off the mounting brackets for the tail guns. The top will be blanked off.

spacer.png

While the bottom will get a window for a recon camera, something to record bomb runs.

spacer.png

And, of course, while I was at that, I decided to skip the cutting wheel over the bottom of the wing... So yeah, some sanding and filling required there.:headbang:

But that's okay!🙃 I also took some sanding sponges and hit the imperfections in the plastic.

More to happen!

Thom

• Like 4

I'm enjoying watching your thought processes taking shape on this one :) Deleting the guns and their various protrusions would have helped the aircraft's speed and combat radius.

• Like 1

It's quite interesting seeing your mods coming along, Thom. Using the lower opening for a bomb camera is inspired!

James

• Like 1

Got a little more work done on this.

Engine packs. Upper and lower halves, plus front and exhaust cones.

spacer.png

Generally alright. Will need clean the seams on the sides. I do wish the inlet cones could be added after the main halves were together, but the design of the parts just wont allow that.

So, they were glued straight in.

spacer.png

The exhaust cones however... I wish I could talk to the guy who decided to put the attachments to the spru right between the nodes, and shake him.

spacer.png

I was, unfortunately, unable to clean the parts up between the nodes. It was looking like crap. So sanded them off!!😄

spacer.png

Looks a lot cleaner than what I had before, so I am not minding that at all.:wink: Parts not all glued together yet.

And then skipped onto the nose gear. As noted on other builds, the bracers were solid triangles, that were sliced off. The cross piece was then notched and some thin stryene round cut, beveled and glued on in their place.

spacer.png

Just needs to be trimmed and cleaned up.

All for now!

Thom

• Like 4

Nice work there, Thom. I know exactly what you mean about the gates on the exhausts, they're a nightmare! I think mine look ok, but I'm expecting the primer to reveal otherwise. And yes, being able to have added the intakes and/or exhausts after painting would have been far better. I'm intending to paint & mask the internals of my intakes before assembling the engine “pack” in the hopes it makes the masking easier. We’ll have to compare notes after that. I’m actually rather liking the looks of your exhausts without the side details…

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Absolutely love the Arado 555, best of luck with this one 👍 

Cheers Pat 

Snap. I've got one on the go, two more in the stash, and plans for at least one more on top. I wonder if we could get enough signatures to a petition to get Revell to reissue it with an easier to construct engine pack? 🤣

• Like 2

@81-erAt least the exhausts can be added after paint. In fact, I'm going to remove the little notch so I can rotate them when I add them, as I'm sure a blemish or two will be present, making hiding that easier.

Anywho, I moved to gear wells, adding some ribbing and a few pressure bottles made from round stock and rounding the ends.

spacer.png

Also pinned the nose wheel, using some brass rod and a pin. I'll need to shorten the pin, but it looks good.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And I finished detailing the well itself.

spacer.png

spacer.png

A little clean up and some blanking plates wither side of the gear mount and that should be good.

Thom

• Like 4

Nice work, Thom. I might have to up my game on the well detailing ;) I've actually removed the ribs I've added to the rear of the nose well, as I dry fitted it and realised there's a big horizontal gap where the cockpit tub meets the aiframe. I'm planning to fill that when the cockpit gets glued in, then add new ribs over the top that then run all the way to the outside of the fuselage. It does make me wonder why Revell chose to tool it that way when the other three sides are entirely on the underside of the cockpit part.

James

• Like 1

I'll let you know if I spot any more "gotchas". Still a well thought out kit overall, and a hell of a lot less fustrating than the Hercules!

James

• Like 1

• 9 months later...