EA-18G Growler Ordnance - What is this?

Ray_W

I believe its an "acquisition-only" version of the Sidewinder. It's basically the missile with no means to launch and no rocket-motor (it retains all the detection / tracking electronics of the weapon). It gives aircrew the facility to practice missile-dogfighting techniques in a cheaper, safer form. 

More knowledgeable folk than I can possibly confirm this.  

Chris. 

• Like 2

They are basically a Sidewinder (although slightly longer) that's been gutted and filled with electronics. You will always find them on one side of the aircraft as they are Left or Right handed, depending on aircraft type.

I made one of these by getting a 1/72 scale Sidewinder, chopping the fins off, lengthened it a little bit (eyeballed off pictures on the web by comparing AIM-9, ACMI pod and launcher rail length) and added stretched runner for the antennas. Also ran some tape around as they have 2 counter weights on them. Paint the body Hornet grey, the nose black and the antennas radome tan you're done!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. Great assistance. I have now been able to track down plenty of images and should be able to fabricate a replica. I'll post what I do here,

BM EA-18G c70

RAAF version on a Hawk.

BM EA-18G c71

Ray

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for their input. I scratch-built my P5-CTS-TCTS pod. Now, all is ready for detailed painting with my other (Eduard) ordnance to fit to my Growler. I'll post the painted item once done.

BM EA-18G c102

Ray

• Like 2

Hi Ray 

If your other ordnance is live I doubt the acmi pod would be fitted as well. Acmi simulates live weapons, as far as I am aware the two would never be mixed.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Kev

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jackster said:

Hi Ray 

If your other ordnance is live I doubt the acmi pod would be fitted as well. Acmi simulates live weapons, as far as I am aware the two would never be mixed.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Kev

Thanks for the advice Kev. I am certainly not expert on the type and appreciate any advice.

I am basing the loadout on this image. I do not have the rights on the photo so provided it as a link.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8909246 

So practice ordnance it is, like so. Just finished the decals and ready for touch of wash and weathering. 

BM EA-18G c108

Ray

• Like 3

On 4/20/2022 at 9:44 AM, Jackster said:

Acmi simulates live weapons,

The ACMI pods don't really do much to simulate weapons, they instead relay telemetry back to ground stations for debrief and reconstruction of the flight or other training purposes.

ACMI stands for "Air Combat Maneuver Instrumentation."

Cheers!

Hoops

• Thanks 1