Hellcat 1/24 FAA. (Airfix)

Well what can I say ....It's big VERY big and probably one of the most disapointing kits I have ever done. 

Level of detail 10/10

Ease of construction 1/10 

Fit of parts  1/10

This kit was meant to be a show stopper for Airfix. The detail is there to open everything up BUT, nothing really fits correctly.  You end up being put right off and so you just want to get it finished.  My wife got fedup with the level of swearing from the model room and the model nealy flew several times.  Sorry Airfix I expect better from a £100 kit.

Anyway grump over.

The markings are for 800 NAS, Trincomalee, 1945 and the decals are from Aerocraft..

Many thanks for looking. Please feel free to comment etc.

Cheers

Dick

DPP_0000

DPP_0001

DPP_0002

DPP_0003

• Like 47
  • Thanks 3

Well if it was a struggle you've done an exceptional job of covering that up Dick - it looks absolutely immaculate - a beautiful build.

Airfix kits are "enigmatic" - I think we all want to love them, but sometimes that love is not reciprocated...!

Well done for persevering  and I hope you feel the finished result is worth the effort - it looks it to me!

Cheers,

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It looks the business, Dick - despite the trials and tribulations. The scheme makes a nice change from the US examples that are more commonly seen.

I’ve got this in the stash waiting patiently for its time - it sounds as if it might be a long build…

All the best,

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
Autocorrect
  • Thanks 1

Nice build there, I am currently working on my 24th Hellcat and I cannot say that I have had to much problems with the fit with only the two fuselage main frames requiring reduction. Rest of fit has been fine for myself. Lovely skin tin canning and general plan lines. 
sammy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jenko said:

Well what can I say ....It's big VERY big and probably one of the most disapointing kits I have ever done. 

That looks absolutely superb, despite the trouble it gave you.

It's interesting to hear aboutyour fit issues. I built this kit almost as soon as it came out

(RFI here:  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235070368-airfix-124-hellcat/)

but I didn't really experience many fit issue to talk of. I did notice that the tolerances were very tight such that any paint on parts to be glued had to be removed since just a single layer of paint could impact on the fit, but without any paint in the way the fit was good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If all it takes is some foul language to get a kit together properly :angrysoapbox.sml:, then I`ll have to try it someday.  Thanks for the idea and by the way, your troublesome Hellcat turned out pretty darn good.  :like:

Mike

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for your kind comments and likes . Very, very much apprieciated.

Dick

• Like 1

Fabulous build and a very good scheme. I must admit I have been impressed with the fit of parts on mine so far but the tolerances are tight. I may regret those words as I haven’t finished yet !! 
definitely a long build for me too.

hope to see it at the next club meet?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice build, the FAA markings always look good on this airframe. 

Really surprised to hear about the fit issues, I only had two problems with it (the bolt rings around the crankcase and the second bulkhead behind the cockpit), everything else fitted so well it wasn't even worth test-fitting 🤔

The blue coat finish looks lovely though, you'd never know you had any problems with it 👍