Canadian aviation books (series)

tempestfan

This may be a somewhat longshot topic - but for some reason, I seem to have some affinity to books published in Canada. Maybe it's because Clunk, Arrow and Sabre are such fascinating topics, maybe also because I have a very soft spot for the F-5 and Voodoo. Very likely it's because many of the titles tick my boxes for what a good book should look like/contain. Something like a staple connecting a number of the following is that @bobmig did the illustrations/scale drawings. So if I may list in no particular order what I have or am aware of, I'd be grateful for any additions/amendments/comments/suggestions what to look out for, or any background info:

Canada's Wings by @ Carl V (hope this is the right "Carl" Vincent):

1 - Blackburn Shark

2 - Fortress and Liberator

For some odd reason, a couple of minutes ago I was so fortunate to find both of them for something like 20€ each delivered, after having looked for them for some time but always refraining because of the price. If this continues, I can call myself "multiple ace" very soon. I didn't get any other hits for the series, so did it stop at #2? Confirmation appreciated. I only found some magazine-type volumes published in the early 80s, also authored by Carl. On a somewhat oblique shot, is the Mushroom booklet on the Shark recommended?

Boston Mills

Clunk by Ron Page

Arrow by Ron Page & the Arrowheads

Any more from this source?

CANAV

North Star

Clunk

Sabre

I am aware that CANAV published a handful of other titles like "Canadair - 50 years", but were there any other type biographies? Some 3 years ago or something, many of their titles were being sold off at nominal prices at a certain source, but most were library copies, so I assume there is a certain cycle after which books are struck off libraries. Now this has mostly dried up. But waiting pays...

In Canada's service

CF-5

CC-135

Halifax

CF-104

I only have the one on the CF-5. It's basically the most comprehensive publication on the F-5A/B I think, with loads of illustrations, so worthwhile in any case - but I hoped for a set of accurate scale drawings (I have a number of Airfix, Esci and Hase kits that I firmly intend to build), which the ones contained simply aren't. Full of errors visible by flicking through the pages. Refuelling probe geometry and the forward belly-into-wing-fairing are rather obvious. As all of the titles have become rather expensive - are they worthwhile for their other contents?

Canadian Profiles by Sabre Model Supplies 

1 - CF-104

2 - CF-101

3 - CF-100

4 - CF-5

#4 is about the second most comprehensive work on the F-5A/B. IIRC, @bobmig did the illustrations for all of them, and I trust from better sources than the one above. Is it correct the series stopped at #4?

Banshee Pubs.

Banshees in the RCN - by Carl Mills

One on my searchlist, but by a different Carl.

Book too far away from me in one of the bookshelves to move there and have a look Publishers, Ltd.

Sting of the Hornet, by David Bashaw

This is a really, really lovely reference on the CF-18, again illustrated by @bobmig. I was very fortunate to get a copy on IIRC my 1st IAT (then not yet R). I have not seen or read about any others from this source.

---

Any constructive comments (or otherwise) and additions appreciated - I guess you Chris @dogsbody may add something to my spending list 🙂

Edited by tempestfan
Attempting to correct the Carl called upon
  • Like 2

I do have both of the Canada's Wings volumes. Inside, it lists a few other books in the series, but unfortunately, these were never printed. At least not as far as I could find and I did search.

I don't think I have anything else that you've listed. I'd have to do a dive through my library to see for sure.

Chris

Not an aviation book series but Cold War Tech War - The Politics of America's Air Defense by Randall Whitcomb is an interesting book about Canada's role and the equipment they proposed in defence of North America. There are chapters on CF-105, CF-100, Project Y-1 and Y-2 and their Flying Saucers all from AVRO Canada. It was published by Apogee Books in Ontario.

Regards

Robert

I got a rare almost mint copy of Larry Milbery's Canadair C-4  Argonaut book for £30 about 5 years ago ,now fetching around £85.

On 4/7/2022 at 12:22 AM, dogsbody said:

I do have both of the Canada's Wings volumes. Inside, it lists a few other books in the series, but unfortunately, these were never printed. At least not as far as I could find and I did search.

I don't think I have anything else that you've listed. I'd have to do a dive through my library to see for sure.

Chris

That's surprising! I would have thought those are in every bookshelf in Canada (especially the CanAv and Ron Page titles). Certainly all of them are best sourced from Canadian or US sellers. I was fortunate to get most of those listed before shipping went through the roof 2nd time around and that nuisance of import VAT from 0.01 € value was introduced. In fact, Larry Milberry's Sabre was around aplenty some 3 to 4 years ago at well under 30 € delivered. A real bargain for a large, heavy quality book.

Just today I received the Canada's Wings Shark book, in awesome condition. In fact my copy is actually "Vol. 1a" as it is a revised 1977 hardcover edition with a jacket in the design of Vol. 2 - the original softcover was predominantly red. I am a compulsive-obsessive completist but I think I'll skip looking for that edition. Unless one comes up at a good price when I see it, of course 😉 This is just the type of book I love - lots of information, a couple of pages of markings profiles, and best of all a loose sheet of - from the look of it - EXCELLENT  scale drawings in a pocket at the rear. Just what the doctor ordered!!! And to complete the package, there are two typewritten "apologies for being delayed" slips and a calling card from a bookshop in the US within its pages that add some perspective- John Roby from San Diego. Anyone knows that seller? Established 1960, hence likely long gone.

Chris @dogsbody, the front flap states Vol. 3 Curtiss Hawks to be available in 1977, while the remaining 4 were in preparation for the coming years. If you happen to have a chat with @Carl anytime, I'd be happy if he could confirm whether this was actually released or not. If it was, I want it, plain simple. And if he had Mr Hopp (or someone else) prepare the scale drawings for Blenheim/Bolingbroke, Stranraer, Cat/Canso and the Curtiss's, I'd be hugely interested (and I will pay, of course). Mustang to a lesser extent, but if the drawings cover the Allison variants, as before applies. Even more interesting would be the manuscripts of all of them, as I think it highly likely he had completed a lot of the research, and if he happens to have done so, I'd be highly interested and again, I don't want anything for free. Hard work has to be remunerated.

On 4/7/2022 at 1:11 AM, Robert said:

Not an aviation book series but Cold War Tech War - The Politics of America's Air Defense by Randall Whitcomb is an interesting book about Canada's role and the equipment they proposed in defence of North America. There are chapters on CF-105, CF-100, Project Y-1 and Y-2 and their Flying Saucers all from AVRO Canada. It was published by Apogee Books in Ontario.

Regards

Robert

Thanks a lot for your input Robert, I will put that one on my list as it sounds highly interesting!

On 4/9/2022 at 12:55 PM, T-21 said:

I got a rare almost mint copy of Larry Milbery's Canadair C-4  Argonaut book for £30 about 5 years ago ,now fetching around £85.

That's a very good price for a very good book - but I assume it's the North Star book I listed? In fact there are US an Canadian versions (I have one of both), with the Canadian one having a fold-out sheet of drawings similar to the Shark ones in a pocket at the rear not included in the US version. 

On 4/11/2022 at 2:19 AM, Robin-42 said:

You know that this is cruel, do you? I want it, I'll have to have it. But better buying a good book than paying negative interest on credit balance...

I have both versions of the Shark book, soft and hard cover, and two copies of the scale drawings. One that I got free from IPMSCanada and the other with the hard cover book.

I can't remember if I've asked @Carl V about those other books or not. As he checks in here occasionally, he's probably see that we've mentioned his name and will reply.

Chris

Tempestfan    Yes, my copy  is The North Star with the pullout plans at the rear published 1982 by Bryant Press,Toronto. Its a lovely book well worth looking out for. A well written definitive history of the North Star.

On 4/12/2022 at 10:39 PM, dogsbody said:

I have both versions of the Shark book, soft and hard cover, and two copies of the scale drawings. One that I got free from IPMSCanada and the other with the hard cover book.

I can't remember if I've asked @Carl V about those other books or not. As he checks in here occasionally, he's probably see that we've mentioned his name and will reply.

Chris

You did, I picked the wrong Carl 😞

On 4/13/2022 at 1:17 AM, Robin-42 said:

Grrrr... But I don't think I will buy again from this seller, because last time I did, they failed to mark that import VAT had already been collected on payment, and so I had to pay VAT again - a modest amount, but with a hefty handling charge that would have been avoided had they correctly marked the book.

On 4/18/2022 at 1:37 PM, Patrik said:

You may try this treasure trove, @tempestfanhttps://www.kestrelpublications.com/shop-online

Have their e-book on the Atlas, lovely and rich on information, plan to buy more.

I'll give that one a try, for sure.

BTW, any recommended book(let)s on the Canadair Tutor around? 

Patrick Martin also has sent me a couple of recommendations which I will add when time permits.

Thanks again to all for their input! 

49 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

You did, I picked the wrong Carl 😞

Grrrr... But I don't think I will buy again from this seller, because last time I did, they failed to mark that import VAT had already been collected on payment, and so I had to pay VAT again - a modest amount, but with a hefty handling charge that would have been avoided had they correctly marked the book.

I'll give that one a try, for sure.

BTW, any recommended book(let)s on the Canadair Tutor around? 

Patrick Martin also has sent me a couple of recommendations which I will add when time permits.

Thanks again to all for their input! 

Don’t be too hard on them, they are a very small operation and shipping to the EU can be a challenge some times. Even mighty Hannants has struggled post Brexit. I have to get performance parts out of the US for my cars, the fees can approach 50% of the value, and we are supposed to have a free trade agreement!
The Tutor, despite being around forever, flown by the Snowbirds forever, is neglected in print, on the web and kit wise. If you find a book, let me know! 

On 4/20/2022 at 2:00 PM, Robin-42 said:

Don’t be too hard on them, they are a very small operation and shipping to the EU can be a challenge some times. Even mighty Hannants has struggled post Brexit. I have to get performance parts out of the US for my cars, the fees can approach 50% of the value, and we are supposed to have a free trade agreement!
The Tutor, despite being around forever, flown by the Snowbirds forever, is neglected in print, on the web and kit wise. If you find a book, let me know! 

I see your point, but then the charme of selling on a platform like am_on or abe is that they do the collection of the VAT up front - I have no idea how precisely a parcel has to be marked to indicate this, but it should be quick and simple to get that info from the respective platform. I have no grudge with them to be sure, but it's simply uneconomical to double-pay the VAT and the handling fee on top, which together with the shipping will be something like twice the price of the book. And to add insult to injury, some monkey at German customs will INEVITABLY apply the wrong rate (19% instead of 7%) - ask me how I know, this happened 3 times out of 3... No problem yet with any sales from the UK IIRC - knock on wood.

I fully understand why e.g. Paul Monforton does not sell via platforms, as the royalty likely would make it uneconomic. Typing his name -

"Spitfire IX & XVI engineered"

of course also has its place here.

Strange re the Tutor - the only kits I am aware of are the Idea/Hobbycraft and a mid-80s Vac, must have been either by Astra or VP. I have a dim recollection it got a very good review back then in either SAM or SMI. Very odd that this is I think Hobbycraft's only Canadian subject which they didn't produce in both 72nd and 48th. I would imagine this to be a guaranteed seller on the airshow circuit in North America.

It is very hard to make book sales of on military aircraft topics (or civil) without a pointed nose or, shame to say but, didn't cause enough damage in this world.  How many copies could you sell of a 300 page book on the Fokker S.14 Machtrainer, the PZL I-22 Iryda or the IA-63 Pampa?

The vast majority of aviation writers go for topics that will grab the attention of larger audiences over several countries (more variants, paint schemes, photos, history, users) and most importantly to interest more publishers to believe in the project - to sell more copies.  Chances are greater of recouping some sort return of time and or funds on yet another Fw190/Spitfire than the above three topics.  So does a first time Canadian writer want to start a two-year full time project on the Canadair 'two-door' (Tutor) or do another Avro Arrow (groan) book?

Pat Martin