Finnish Air Force Curtiss Hawk 75A in 1/48 scale

The Curtiss Hawk 75A, was an important fighter the during the WWII when a total of 44 planes were used in the Finnish Air Force from 1941 onwards. During the so called Continuation War against the USSR the Finnish pilots achieved a total of 190 victories with these planes.

I built the model from an Academy kit in 1/48 scale and used the excellent “In-Scale” decals for the plane registered CU-580.The kit was ok to build and the amount of puttying and sanding was anyway reasonable. However, I made several corrections to the kit. The antenna was incorrectly shaped and too long, the pitot tube was too long, the rudder antenna spike was missing and the landing gear covers were incorrectly shaped. I also replaced the crosshairs and the pilot seat with photoetched parts. The machine guns in the nose were made of a thin brass tube.

I used Xtracolor paints for the camo and sealed the decals with Humbrol matt varnish . I weathered the model with Mig’s powders. I decided to keep the plane relatively clean, because my model depicts the CU-580 in a very good photo when the plane had only been in use for a month.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 29

20 minutes ago, VolkerR. said:

Well done. Beautiful model of an aircraft that is not so often seen.

Thanks Volker 

Einar 

32 minutes ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Nice!

I have built CU-558 years ago.

Saluti

Giampiero

Grazie mille Giampiero!

Einar