1/350 HMCS Huron Trumpeter

My latest in my recent foray into ship modeling is this, the HMCS Huron Destroyer, circa 1944.  The Huron was commissioned into the RCN on 19 July 1943, and spent much of the war on convoy duty.  She took part in the allied invasion of Normandy, and later sank numerous enemy ships, including a minesweeper, a U-boat, and some patrol craft.  I weathered her sparingly, depicting her as just having put back to sea on convoy duty after some maintenance, with a couple of the forward gun crews running drills.  The Trumpeter kit was quite nice to build, and I supplemented the included photo etch fret with some extra WW2 allied railings I had left over from another kit, and some of the distressingly flat crew figures from Tamiya.  My only real complaint, aside from the 2-dimensional crew members, is that just as I finished her, I slipped and the mast got crushed against my manly (or not so manly) chest, hence the missing cage antenna from the very top.  It was found days later in the carpet, flattened beyond all hope.  I managed to repair it as best I could, and now it sits in a nice water base.  

OKrtl0X.jpg

GnVAlKH.jpg

YnsvnkB.jpg

XXlTf7I.jpg

A8kEWTk.jpg

gGlM7wO.jpg

Pg5ANu2.jpg

A0wbxEg.jpg

F432wUj.jpg

kUVZIjJ.jpg

Mca3vGT.jpg

P6684AR.jpg

gy6zLgG.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Nice and clean build, and good weathering! I really would like to sent you a small anchor chain to replace the one fitted!

Just post me your address!

Regards

Andreas 

Amazing work here: build, pe work, paint, weathering, rigging, and sea base all looking real nice. I wouldn't have noticed the 2d figures unless you pointed them out,   went looking for a steamrollered sailor after I read that, but I still think they look good (I've seen someone coat them in layers of white glue to fatten them up a bit if that helps for future).

David

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant!  I will definitely try the glue trick next time.  I guess it's the same old thing that we're all guilty of: we notice the flaws in our own work more than anyone else.