Best 1/72 Saab Draken?

I'm starting to fall down a Saab shaped rabbit hole and need a Draken.

Who does the best?

I see that Mistercraft have one, but after "experiencing" their awful Hunter a few years back I'm not going to trust them with my money.

• Like 1

The Mistercraft is the old (c. 1960) Revell kit, according to Scalemates. Either go for Hasegawa or the Revell reboxings of the Hasegawa, kit number 04264 or 04352. 04264 has two Finnish colour schemes, and 04352 has an Austrian display scheme (as per the box art), an Austrian line scheme and a Swedish scheme.

If you want a two-seater, you're stuck with trying to find the Heller kit, the tool for which was sold to an Argentinian company in the 1980s, and may be available over there. The old Airfix kit is OK, but has heavy raised surface detail, as you'd expect from a 1970 Airfix mould.

• Like 1

Hello guys,

the Airfix kit is pretty good despite its age. If one wishes to improve it, then one should:

- correct the fuselage spine as it should rise more steeply just behind the canopy

- move the fin antenna on top of the fuselage backwards

- shorten the main landing gear legs. Otherwise the model won't sit correctly nose up

- drill the bolts away from the main wheels

- remove the raised panel lines and replace them with carved ones (as Draken is very "clean" aircraft)

- create proper air intakes to avoid the the see through effect

- create deeper jet pipe

- add small details (cockpit, T-shaped temperature probe, spear-shaped antenna on top of the fuselage, landing lights, details for the gear legs etc.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

Hasegawa/Revell re-boxing are the way to go.

Only problem I have encountered with the kit is the poor fit of the exhaust cone to the rear fuselage, it leaves a "step" that needs attention.

WARDOG

If you want  two seater you need to decide whether it would be Danish or from another of the operators as they were different. Also, the Skale Wings kit is poor. For a non-Danish two seater use the parts form a Heller kit - it has both one and two seat options - and use them on. Hasegawa Revell. Other than that you are in to resin conversion territory ;). by the way, don’t be tempted to build a two seater from the Heller kit. 

Martin 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WARDOG said:

Only problem I have encountered with the kit is the poor fit of the exhaust cone to the rear fuselage, it leaves a "step" that needs attention.

I nearly fell in to that trap myself and had to check that with real airplane. There shouldn't be a clear step. The tail cone is slightly wider than the rear fuselage on later models with bigger afterburner. Sand the front end of the tail cone carefully to make a smoothly curved joint. This is one of the very few photos that show how the tail cone gets wider:

https://www.ilmailumuseot.fi/tuotteet.html?id=20172/264248

Note how the light reflects from the tail cone.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

Interesting that they have gone again. It wasn't long ago that they were easy to find.

Now I could only find a red Austrian from Revell at Kingkit and two different Hasegawa at rebell.com

Of course, Hasegawa or Revell's reboxing. Hasegawa's RF-35 "Recon Draken", in particular, is an absolute gem. 😎

Twin-seater, I still go with Heller's, despite not being the later version. I bought Skale Wings' TF-35, but after a close look I found it to be somewhat beneath my expectations, and ended up selling it on eBay.

On 4/9/2022 at 4:58 AM, Orso said:

Interesting that they have gone again. It wasn't long ago that they were easy to find.

Now I could only find a red Austrian from Revell at Kingkit and two different Hasegawa at rebell.com

The Austrian Revell boxing of the Hasegawa kit also has decals for a Swedish Draken... just in case.!

On 4/6/2022 at 6:43 AM, Richard Humm said:

The Mistercraft is the old (c. 1960) Revell kit, according to Scalemates.

But you can get one only for the Finish AF decals in the elusive 1/72 scale

Regards

Armando

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 12:34 PM, Harry_the_Spider said:

I see that Mistercraft have one, but after "experiencing" their awful Hunter a few years back I'm not going to trust them with my money.

MisterCraft is the 1957 Revell offering, so strike it off your list.

I've just been asked to build it for a colleague.  He liked the red/white scheme.

It's surprisingly clean and flash-free, but raised detail. It omits the cannon apertures, and hasn't even got a seat or any other interior.

Four options and superb decals.  For some reason it has Finnish insignias on the sheet, but I can't understand why.

On the Draken 1/72 scale, this one ranks below Airfix.

39 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

For some reason it has Finnish insignias on the sheet, but I can't understand why.

Finnish Air Force operated Drakens for over three decades. Good enough excuse, wouldn't you say😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, exdraken said:

The Austrian Revell boxing of the Hasegawa kit also has decals for a Swedish Draken... just in case.!

As well as an operational Austrian example in the F-16 scheme.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Finnish Air Force operated Drakens for over three decades. Good enough excuse, wouldn't you say😉

Yes - a great excuse, which I hadn't realised.  Insignia decals are there, but not amongst the options for the MisterCraft kit - which are:

Mister-Craft-Draken-Options.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/04/2022 at 10:55, theplasticsurgeon said:

Yes - a great excuse, which I hadn't realised.  Insignia decals are there, but not amongst the options for the MisterCraft kit - which are:

Mister-Craft-Draken-Options.jpg

The Danish scheme is just a joke. Black radome, IR probe, non-painted wing/fin edges, Swedish "Danger" decal at the air intakes, Swedish-style antenna on the spine, etc, etc... Besides that, the "AR" marking on the fin indicates a recce version, which this is not. 

Actually, I can't see why MisterCraft is bothering releasing this old kit, pretending it can be used to build this decal schemes. The only version that can be built from that kit is early Swedish J 35A. Although there are several errors on that too. Even worse, is that they are promoting these releases with photos of a 1/48 Hasegawa Draken.
https://mistercraft.eu/en/strona-glowna/282-d-88-f-35j-draken-swedish-af-172.html 

And to answer the initial question: Hasegawa is the ONLY choice. Airfix has several errors, already mentioned in this thread, plus a mis-shaped nose. MisterCraft/Aeroplast are based on the more than 60 years old Revell kit and could not be recommended in any way at all. Skale Wings TF-35 has plenty of errors too, bad fit and bad research. The only thing to do with these kits is to forget them.

The only alternative that one could consider is the old Heller kit. Shapes are OK and it contains parts for many versions. But raised panel lines, poor interior, over-sized nose wheel and more makes the 70s origin too obvious. Besides that, it is almost impossible to find. But if so, it can be built into a reasonable model, this is my build from the Heller GB last year. Almost OOB, although the recce nose is modified a little (the kit contains a Danish recce nose), and aftermarket decals:

50904939777_2b5d4d87b3_c.jpg

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Bjorn said:

The only version that can be built from that kit is early Swedish J 35A.

Just about the best use of the Mistercraft is as a source for an early aft end to graft on the Heller twoseater for a non-Danish one. 

Cheers,

Andre