Tamiya 1/350 Yamato

Hi, another entry in the catalog of my builds, this time the Yamato. This is one of the older builds that I've retained in my collection, interestingly my photo library had this show up as being 5 years ago last week (it doesn't feel that old, but it probably is). It's actually the second time I've built a 1/350 Yamato, the first was hand painted, with no etch or deck and only the more basic old mould Tamiya kit which I built soon after getting back into the hobby. This time I went all out, the premium Tamiya kit, Mk1 Design photo-etch set, wooden deck and an airbrushed paint job and the rigging. Before taking the pictures here I have had to complete some clean-up and also repair about a third of the rigging, mostly on the starboard side, which had come off for some reason - I "took" a bit more off while I was dusting the structure, but it's not too problematic to repair using EZ line. When you see this ship next to other battleships in the scale it really does bring home what a monster it was, it's so wide compared to almost everything else, and nothing else looked like it at the time, from the bulbous nose to the "ramp" on the foredeck where the main guns are. It is such an iconic ship and I'm really pleased to have it in the collection.

ahTF6q6U-g140ikOHCwmhHoQ2gGu1xWcDuzvIGEX

RVj1_9tJLSEZAbw_qkr0w5A0hyHlqtMhidSYQ_-5

FcFUk1xadQJ487XO7knirr300Y47hcjDy2wz5Jgh

Rf0nkqPKKksRUjDGv-0RNRjcCySYdvvpf5ssr0Ow

-tOdVKgoE3OrsBhZTYHakra2rRH9z-TvTPBl8fa-

JiYwIS6REvf3h1Xz5srTS9JW02AeyteheDvMjyv4

wnmOQF_nRbVubowv63aDj8l7fvdY0YR-uHF4Fc_U

DweUTh0SLasVizxNmuQqA5QG5pQ4_1LKlTStNpFy

UoKPfGD2PcgXHUOG70-ZYw16L_ryhkWVlOuHQaCz

LR5joHzf20dzurPGmSr-fH29KvlzWgJxR9e255aZ

HmKp3D8j7K8e0IQoUZ4WHrHmxd5wEQrjbkcn49c-

ag1N-hMlVIS23XHxRNgmi9pztcko3ZWo9eE3rOaP

aEDimUu306Xpid2a0vP6A0wV4DfVeWTOdksHD5RF

lDEwsq9tupqv97S2zJb97Fga21utJ5bwhFIVs8x4

fTI0cTUAdh423sfqvKilDGyFlkGJqDUthkKpNZFv

Bm1B7qINjZMMoIqZYYhUU81TZSZkvK37ODymuwI1

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

My goodness, that looks like it took you a couple of hours!  Absolutely stunning build.  There really is no substitute for the real wooden deck.  It just adds that extra level of realism to the entire thing.  Simply beautiful.

• Thanks 1

Very nice build of a most handsome ship. I particularly like the sand bags piled around the AA mounts on the deck.

Regards,

Ross.

• Thanks 1

Outstanding example,  she really looks the part,  the level of detailing is very impressive,  

Could I ask what paints/ colours you used on her? 

Also do you do anything to your decks before you put them on? Your seem to blend in to the overall effect very well rather than stand out

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2022 at 4:04 PM, ErikT said:

My goodness, that looks like it took you a couple of hours!  Absolutely stunning build.  There really is no substitute for the real wooden deck.  It just adds that extra level of realism to the entire thing.  Simply beautiful.

Thanks, and I agree for the wooden deck. I have seen a couple of modellers who can paint the decks so well they don't need to use them, but that's well beyond my capability, the stick on decks are a more than good enough compromise

9 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Outstanding example,  she really looks the part,  the level of detailing is very impressive,  

Could I ask what paints/ colours you used on her? 

Also do you do anything to your decks before you put them on? Your seem to blend in to the overall effect very well rather than stand out

Thank you. For paints, Humbrol 100 for the hull (I'm a creature of habit there), Tamiya Sasebo grey for the rest with a mixture of greys, gunmetal and a few others to add some detail (with some artistic license). I've not done anything specific with the deck other than spending time getting it lined up and using the back of a pair of tweezers and an old paintbrush to press it down firmly.

Thanks also to @Rich75 @Ravens and @robgizlu, I appreciate the comments

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Beautiful rendition of the Yamato. The premium edition is pricey and can easily burn a hole in the wallet. I have this in my stash, but I don´t know whether I can muster the courage or find the will power to even lay the keel. It´s a huge undertaking. 😅

• Thanks 1

Great neat build. Please don't get me wrong, but new Tamiya's Yamato, if I'm not mistaken in its final configuration for its final cruise on Ten ichi go operation... one way trip to Okinawa. Anyway few photos I've seen in Warship pictorial No25- IJN Yamato class battleships, taken from attacking US warplanes, suggest that it still had (from Leyte gulf battle) darkened (blackened?) decks....If it doesn't bother you, leave it as it is, but if you wish to rectify it, may I suggest some brush work, bit by bit,in small areas, with slightly thinned paint, so it gets in some areas semi translucent.

I really don't want to rain on your parade, but it will take it just a little bit of work (for god sakes, don't turn on an airbrush), to make it absolutely right. All the best...

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Apologies to anyone (administrators perhaps?) annoyed by the revival of an old posting, but I just want to say how impressive this Yamato build is.

For many & varied reasons I have something of an obsession with the Yamato.  Your model emphasises what a big and beautiful ship she was.  Well done!  👍👏👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

Fabulous model. The photo etched handrails give you an idea of the enormity of this ship.

I don't think this monster or the Musashi its sister ship ever got to go head to head with allied battleships. Didn't they both get sunk by carrier borne aircraft?

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2023 at 8:57 AM, Noel Smith said:

Fabulous model. The photo etched handrails give you an idea of the enormity of this ship.

I don't think this monster or the Musashi its sister ship ever got to go head to head with allied battleships. Didn't they both get sunk by carrier borne aircraft?

Thanks, and yes, these whoppers never got to engage any US battleships, only light carriers and destroyers. I suspect the American advantage in fire control would have compensated for the heavier guns, but perhaps not able to land a sinking blow (as with the Bismarck against the Royal Navy)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 12:07 AM, BorisAlexandrov said:

Absolutely stunned!

Is that the Tamiya 78025? I have one stashed but never dared to start building it.

Thanks Boris

I'm not familiar with the catalogue numbers but it's the "premium" Tamiya Yamato, plus a MkI design etch set and deck.

Wow!  That's an impressive thing! :clap:

Lots of detail to take in and I do like the way you've displayed it.   Looking at the rigging, which appears very complicated, I know why I don't do ships!  :fraidnot:

Keith 😁

• Thanks 1