'Dutch' Spitfire XVIe - Airfix Club Edition

Kit - Airfix 2007 limited release

Paint - Tamiya acrylics, Mr. Color lacquers.

Decals - spares, kit & Dutch Decal 48036

Extras - None

Spitfire F.XVIe

Sqn. Ldr. Ron Gold

322 (Dutch) Squadron, 2 TAF

Twente, Spring 1945.

TcFJDk6.jpg

ART2ULx.jpg

wOQar5D.jpg

PTq3UKP.jpg

Ivu5UU8.jpg

aR9eG0A.jpg

lnlEaZZ.jpg

zRAvt48.jpg

GwpV8fU.png

So contrary to the Tamiya Spitfire that I built simultaneously, this was not a good experience. The fit - especially the wing-to-fuselage joint was horrendous with lots of plastic-card 'packing' and then filler needed. Details were are soft and poorly defined, panel lines are all engraved, but I would question the accuracy of some and the prop & spinner - I believe it's the same as that fitted to the Mk.IX ? but just looks out of scale and bulbous to my non-expert eye. All that said, I really wanted a late-mark Spit' on my shelf and wasn't inclined to go out and buy the Eduard kit, when I already had this in the stash for years. 

So yes there are problems, no it doesn't look too 'flash' but it'll never leave the cabinet so in a way, I've achieved what I wanted. As ever comments, questions etc, etc welcomed. All the best from NZ.

Ian.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Thanks folks, appreciate the replies.

Yes Keith I'm very pleased with the effect, I've done t before but this is the first time I think it looks 'just right'.

AFN

Ian.

• Like 1

It was unknown to me that Airfix had a Mk.XVI in their range. Whatever the shortcomings of this kit are you have made a fine looking model out of it.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1