8X2v2xq.jpg

Fdj7PmG.jpg

ZkHnAAW.jpg

DXUM5UX.jpg

IZQXQnH.jpg

VFC5Qll.jpg

XchGMXU.jpg

Gj5Yxc6.jpg

One of my favourite [modelling] memories is the first time I built this kit sometime in the late 1990's. It was, I think, the first Tamiya 1:48 kit I ever built and it was a revelation. Fast forward to now and I bought this from a club member for very few dollars simply because I really wanted to re-live that original 'rush' of building a quality kit without extras just for the joy of it.

Yep it was an absolute joy. Three weeks start-to-finish and easily as good as I remember it from first time around. Not too much more to tell (unlike the Airfix F.XVIe which I built alongside it !)  - first time using all Mr. Color lacquers and apart from the horrendous odour, a great experience and now firmly set as my 'go to' paints for as many builds as possible. Still have a load of enamels and acrylics, but I will use these as often as possible. Superscale decals were probably twenty years old and behaved perfectly, their Quality Control back in the day was incredible IMHO.

Just in-case you were wondering about the 'local' reference... I'm Liverpool born & bred, and before moving out here to Middle Earth, I lived about a mile from RAF Woodvale so 611 West Lancs Sqn is as about as local as I could get ! - Thanks all for taking the time to look, all comments, questions and outrage welcomed.

Best from NZ.

Ian.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Thats a neat Spitfire and the paint job inclusive the weathering looks really convincing.

The Tamiya kits from that time are all nice builds.

• Like 1

Very neat Mk I – finish and weathering look very convincing, as does the de rigeur elevator droop!

One question – in the summer of 1940, why doesn't she carry a wire radio aerial?

Excellent work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

One question – in the summer of 1940, why doesn't she carry a wire radio aerial?

Joachim

Easy.... Because I don't have a model competition until November so I'll attach it then !

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1