Sherman III Normandy Holy Roller

JackG

So this will be 1/35 scale based on the Asuka M4A2 kit, along with their back date set of the initial suspension.

spacer.png

I've done a mock up in paper card for the bottom portion of the wading trunks.  Still need to design the fittings and send it off to be made into photo etch.   Once that is done hopefully can get a good portion of the build completed.

spacer.png

regards,

Jack

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, JackG said:

I've done a mock up in paper card for the bottom portion of the wading trunks.  Still need to design the fittings and send it off to be made into photo etch.   Once that is done hopefully can get a good portion of the build completed.

Welcome aboard sir, this looks like a good choice. Any chance you can share the measurements of the wading trunks ? I may opt to go for them if it isn't too hard. 

• Like 1

Hi Jack. Welcome to the GB. Great to see you here. Looks like you have got a fascinating project in prospect for us. I'm looking forward to following your progress. :thumbsup:

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

This looks interesting - never thought of having somebody make bespoke PE parts; that's a bit different.

I was thinking the same,  I would have thought that having done the hard work making wading trunks from plastic card they would be better than having to fight PE parts? 

• Like 3

Thanks everyone.

Several reasons I want to go with a PE design for the trunk...

- paper card is flimsy, but sheet plastic would have been better for holding shapes and not buckling

- some sides that are joined are really critical for alignment, just a fraction cut too much or too little creates problems

- can take advantage of brass sheet to create folds

- also require precise holes for some details

- the PE service charges for a minimal base size of brass sheet no matter how many shapes are designed on it, so might as well take advantage of that

Here is the PE service located in Scotland:  http://ppdltd.com/

As requested here are measurements for the basic shapes (1/35 scale).  The bottom left corner illustrates where most of the pieces are joined, except for part E and the mid section which is mostly hidden underneath the overhang of the hull:

spacer.png

regards,

Jack

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JackG said:

Thanks everyone.

Several reasons I want to go with a PE design for the trunk...

- paper card is flimsy, but sheet plastic would have been better for holding shapes and not buckling

- some sides that are joined are really critical for alignment, just a fraction cut too much or too little creates problems

- can take advantage of brass sheet to create folds

- also require precise holes for some details

- the PE service charges for a minimal base size of brass sheet no matter how many shapes are designed on it, so might as well take advantage of that

Here is the PE service located in Scotland:  http://ppdltd.com/

As requested here are measurements for the basic shapes (1/35 scale).  The bottom left corner illustrates where most of the pieces are joined, except for part E and the mid section which is mostly hidden underneath the overhang of the hull:

spacer.png

regards,

Jack

That's excellent....

Okay, who's gonna be first to build one in plastcard ? :D

@Corsairfoxfouruncle ?? ;)

• Like 3

Forgot to include a couple height measurements, but if you print out the shapes to the already provided sizes, it shouldn't really matter.

part E = 11.6mm

part C = 17.4mm

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

That's excellent....

Okay, who's gonna be first to build one in plastcard ? :D

@Corsairfoxfouruncle ?? ;)

Im going to give it a try, if I fail spectacularly you’ll never know. 😉 If I succeed I will post pictures. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Jack, I studied the history of Sherman tanks used in the Second World War and saw several pictures of this modification, but somehow missed the term ‘Wading Trunk’. I also remember you telling me about designing photo-etched parts and now I can see what you were doing.

So do I understand correctly that you create a card stock prototype and then draft a two dimensional detail layout that your service provider in Scotland uses to chemically etch parts out of brass sheet stock and you then incorporate into your model?

This is really an advance skill in scale modeling.

Harold

• Like 1

Hello Harold, this was the first time I had to do a test pattern when designing PE detail.   Usually I can scan either a model part or some surface of the model subject, that I then use on the computer to scale dimensions precisely.  Or sometimes I can find some actual dimensions of the detail to be designed and go from there.  

For the wading trunk, I did order the Resicast set, but found it did not quite match what I was seeing in photos, plus the quality of the molding appears it was on it's last legs - lots of flash and some areas were paper thin with lost detail.  The shape of this particular wading equipment also has weird angles, so it was very useful to test and incorporate a couple corrections to make everything fit properly.

Some photos I was referencing:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The last image is of Holy Roller 1st Hussars Regiment prior to the invasion of Normandy.   It is one of two Canadian Shermans (the other being Bomb of the Sherbrooke Fusiliers) known to have landed on D-Day and were still operational when the war ended in Europe.

regards,

Jack

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Another disappointment for me as the search continues for a finished build.   My custom photo etch arrived about ten days ago, but even then I had not been able to keep up with the plastic construction phase.  As it is, I forgot to include two main pieces of the upper trunk of the wading gear so just wasn't meant to be.  Anyhow, here is a shot of the PE sheet (red covered areas are for other modelling projects).

custom-PE.jpg

A shot of the aftermarket barrels.  The kit plastic MG for the gun mantlet was chopped off, and the remaining assembly was drilled through to accept the brass. 

aftermarket-barrels.jpg

Parting shot of where my Sherman is at, the hull halves are still not glued together.   Added the opening to the turret roof for the smoke mortar.  Front transmission and turret has some extra work done for rough casting texture.  This was done by working in small areas at a time with liquid cement and a stiff synthetic brush.

june-update.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 4

Good morning, Jack. Your casting texture on the turret and transmission housing look perfect.

Harold

Edited by Sergeant
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jack. I am sorry you weren't able to finish it. It really was going to be a superb addition to the Gallery.

Please let me know if you want to continue posting it's progress here, in the STGB section, or if you want me to move your thread to the main AFV WIP section.

Thank you for taking part in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1