Camouflage and custard. Dual Tiger Moth Build. 1/48

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

The joint at the rearof the upper panel is smooth but the panel is kind of beaten up

Wow..... 

Politely referred to as "oil-canning" I believe, Chris. Are you going to replicate this feature?? 

Well, they sure hammered it down so there's no step in the fuselage line 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hi mate, great build so far, this particular post is becoming a kind of Tiger Moth " single source of truth" with all of the reference info !!

Not sure if anybody answered your q on rigging, I just finished a Cutty Sark (in Maritime forum), first time I've done a tall ship, it too was an Airfix kit and had rigging string included in the kit however it required you to soak it in black tea to get the tar effect I guess, and it was a little "fuzzy". I ended up getting a generic HTA 89m x 27mm spool (online ebay) which suited 1:130 scale. I was quite happy with this as it glued well, was quite tough and if you had to make the rats nests (nets going up mast) from scratch the string glued together well on the jig. But that said, if you can get the rats nest in brass, I would recommend that for your own sanity.....

Look forward to the rest of the build !!

Cheers

JJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/04/2022 at 00:57, 81-er said:

Nice progress there, Johnny. I think your plan with one of each on the options works nicely and they'll turn into a great pair of complimentary models.

James

Thanks. I’m happy with the “one of each” option too. 🤞

On 18/04/2022 at 06:17, Brandy said:

The only sure way to be accurate would be photos of each aircraft. Sans those, I'd do the later (SAAF) one with, and the earlier one without.

Ian

Thanks. Yup that’s the plan. 🤝

On 18/04/2022 at 08:02, HAMP man said:

How do you manage? I have trouble getting a few parts off the sprue and cleaned up in one session, you decorate the ablution block build two models and have time to drink beer. Cracking set coming together here. Enjoying your journey.

Box on

Strickers

Thanks. I’m not quite sure how I manage it either. Must be mad. I’m away at the moment so it’s nice to have a break. 😃

On 18/04/2022 at 10:05, corsaircorp said:

Belated Happy Birthday John !!

Sorry to have missed the day !!

Chocolate stout !! 

Another thing to taste when I'll cross the channel again....

Gueuze is good, traditional beer around Bruxelles...

Great job on your Tiggies, I see that there will be a sailor's one in the end !!

Well done Spad !! Well done !!

Sincerely...

CC

Thanks Alain.  The stout was indeed a winner you’d love it. 
Is this the stuff? 

52017685838_289c21f443_b.jpg

I found photos of that night on my phone I don’t remember talking. Cor blimey them thar Belgian and German beers are something special. 😃

On 18/04/2022 at 19:32, bigbadbadge said:

Nice work Johnny, they look good,  fella  happy belated Birthday fella.  I am slightly perturbed by the upper nose panel, the way it's moulded means ther is a step where the top of the nose panel is higher than the front of the fuselage, not any fault of yours, but looks like a kit error looking at your image with the nose panels on.

I have the CMK upper nose panel for one of the kits which may correct I will need to check.

Great job so far

Chris

Edit, I have checked the CMK upper nose panel and it certainly seems to be less of a step at tge back although it struggles at the front part of the panel as it fouls the front upper surface of the engine so either needs modified or the engine upper casing needs filing down at the front , okay if having a closed engine area. 

I did a better test fit and there is a step, like the real thing but I think with a bit of sanding we should be in the ball park of acceptable. Thanks for the heads up.

On 18/04/2022 at 21:14, hendie said:

Blimey!  I know dear old Ced was renowned for amputating his pilots wotsits, but at least they were only plastic, and now here you are talking about rodent abuse. 🤢. On a family forum. 

Oh, happy belated birthday to you.

I rather like the look of those strakes though I feel airfix could have done a much better effort on those wings

Hells bells. The spell correct on this phone is ship. 😉

Thanks for the birthday wishes btw 😀 oh and the wings are really good. What’s up with them? Not enough sanding? 🤪

On 18/04/2022 at 21:30, rob Lyttle said:

I've been having a look around the dh82s walkarounds and I don't think this is an issue. These airframes are not ultra smooth fabricated! 

In fact I'd be suspicious of a blended, aerodynamically clean assembly especially around the engine cowling. 

Tiger%20Moth-006.JPGDon't want to to throw you off course Johnny, with a load micro detail, but there is some great material for reference in the walkarounds. 

And don't forget the wheel chocks.... 😎

chocks….. away!   😜 Thanks. 

On 18/04/2022 at 22:02, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Rob 

Fair enough fella, this is the nose of the aircraft I am going to model, I was not aware there would have been differences,  so that is handy to know.

spacer.png

The joint at the rearof the upper panel is smooth but the panel is kind of beaten up.

Image credited to Naval Gazer on Pinterest and for illustration purposes only znd can be removed if required.

Chris

Thanks for the ref shots and info. 😀

On 18/04/2022 at 23:10, rob Lyttle said:

Wow..... 

Politely referred to as "oil-canning" I believe, Chris. Are you going to replicate this feature?? 

Well, they sure hammered it down so there's no step in the fuselage line 😀

Oil canning you say.  I think I’ll leave mine smooth. 😇

On 19/04/2022 at 08:50, giemme said:

Interior decorating, plastic surgery, wing fitting: :wow: :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks G! 

19 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

All looks well from here Johnny.

Nice to meet up with old friends.

Simon.

Thanks. Yes, especially after the few years we’ve all had. 

13 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent progress so far, Johnster! 👍 It’s great to see how you can manage the double build here. Ah, and happy belated birthday to you! 🥳

Thanks Nikolay. This is nothing compared to our @corsaircorp’s regular day to day. 🫣 My almost identical dual build seems like a walk in the park. 

9 hours ago, JJ2016 said:

Hi mate, great build so far, this particular post is becoming a kind of Tiger Moth " single source of truth" with all of the reference info !!

Not sure if anybody answered your q on rigging, I just finished a Cutty Sark (in Maritime forum), first time I've done a tall ship, it too was an Airfix kit and had rigging string included in the kit however it required you to soak it in black tea to get the tar effect I guess, and it was a little "fuzzy". I ended up getting a generic HTA 89m x 27mm spool (online ebay) which suited 1:130 scale. I was quite happy with this as it glued well, was quite tough and if you had to make the rats nests (nets going up mast) from scratch the string glued together well on the jig. But that said, if you can get the rats nest in brass, I would recommend that for your own sanity.....

Look forward to the rest of the build !!

Cheers

JJ

Thanks for the kind words.

Also thanks for the answer to the rigging question. Forgive me but what is “HTA”? I did a search and got either the plastic stuff used in strimmers or fishing line. 
Your Cutty Sark build is amazing, I’ll be building in a similar fashion. If she turns out anything like yours I’ll be a happy camper.   Fingers crossed .

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. I spent the last few days continuing the 1:1 scale house work. Check my masking of clear parts. 🤩 (spot Zero😀)

52018163100_85b054fa4f_b.jpg

And the last few day have been spent in Sunny Brighton. 

52016606352_25b8fba1b8_b.jpg

back soon.

😀☀️

Johnny

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Cor blimey them thar Belgian and German beers are something special. 😃

They must be, they've given you a beard and glasses!!!!😆

Will you be spraying or brush painting them clear parts?

Enjoy your free time fella, although you will probably filling it with sightseeing, swimming, hang-gliding, learning Urdu etc etc

Box On 

Strickers

• Haha 3

Nice work on the shower and the airframes.

FWIW on the 1/72 version I decided not to hack the fuselage about but just cut the strakes off the insert and stuck them on. No scary chopping up fuselages or filling inserts. Is that cheating?

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Is the 1/48 Tiger Moth missing the two rear struts on the undercart as the 1/72 one was? Bit of a glaring error I thought on Airfix’s behalf given the number of Tiger Moths about to study. 
Max 

The drawing in your instructions photo (28) suggests the rear struts are missing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Johnny,

This may or may not work but here is a photo of the slightly 'butchered' Dekno Gypey Major and a few others that maybe of interest

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/04/2022 at 11:58, HAMP man said:

They must be, they've given you a beard and glasses!!!!😆

Will you be spraying or brush painting them clear parts?

Enjoy your free time fella, although you will probably filling it with sightseeing, swimming, hang-gliding, learning Urdu etc etc

Box On 

Strickers

If only I could grow a beard! 😂

aA nice relaxing holiday was had. Hopefully back at the moth today. 😇

On 21/04/2022 at 14:15, AdrianMF said:

Nice work on the shower and the airframes.

FWIW on the 1/72 version I decided not to hack the fuselage about but just cut the strakes off the insert and stuck them on. No scary chopping up fuselages or filling inserts. Is that cheating?

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks. I don’t think cheating is a thing in this game. Whatever works baby. 🤩 to be fair the little jig made the test painless.

On 21/04/2022 at 14:45, galgos said:

Is the 1/48 Tiger Moth missing the two rear struts on the undercart as the 1/72 one was? Bit of a glaring error I thought on Airfix’s behalf given the number of Tiger Moths about to study. 
Max 

The drawing in your instructions photo (28) suggests the rear struts are missing. 

I think they are there. Not sure which pic you’re referring to but I had a looksie and there are two little bars that run from the rear of the UC. I’ll post some pics later.

On 22/04/2022 at 00:57, JJ2016 said:

Hobby Tools Australia. Just flicked you a message with some specs so you could acquire locally. Cheers

Ahhh thanks.

9 hours ago, HAMP man said:

Hello Johnny,

This may or may not work but here is a photo of the slightly 'butchered' Dekno Gypey Major and a few others that maybe of interest

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wow! Worked a treat. That engine is fantastic. Not to mention the cockpit. That looks like it’s the Airfix kit. I’m sure you said it was ( I’ll check ) but the office looks different? Scratch? Resin?  Either way she looks great. Thanks for sharing. 🤩🤩

Johnny

• Like 1

Hello Johnny,

Well spotted! It is the Airfix Kit but with combimation of eduard etch and CMK resin plus a little of my own. 

Box On

Strickers

• Like 1

On 24/04/2022 at 06:54, HAMP man said:

Hello Johnny,

Well spotted! It is the Airfix Kit but with combimation of eduard etch and CMK resin plus a little of my own. 

Box On

Strickers

Well it’s ruddy lovely that’s what it is. I’m a little envious of that extra stuff so I’ll have to make extra special efforts from now on. 😇

Well we’ll we’ll. back at work and back to a little reality. Which means a bit of a Monday night update. 🤩

Before I start I must ask @galgos is it these struts you mean?

52029048907_f5c50d36d5_b.jpg

That fit here?

52029048502_ef53216f5c_b.jpg

If so then phew. If not I see some scratch building in my future. 🥳🧐

ok back to the juicy bits.

I have decided to glue the front any top Cowell parts and as those first. Then build around the structure. The closing frame looked a little too like so I scratched a more in scale one for the open cowl.

52030611365_dfbc64b658_b.jpg

The pin marks got removed on the opening panel also. The others can just stay as is as they will never be seen.

52030129748_d97f16054f_b.jpg

Everything got some paint. Even the closed up bits as the cowl is quite gappy.

nose.

52029048722_efaf6a3881_b.jpg

Sides and base.

52030129303_4081c11792_b.jpg

Engine and fire wall.

52030345149_7d16854d68_b.jpg

And some inner frame too. 🤩

52030129298_96d40ddf1e_b.jpg

you might have noticed that my nails are a bit manky.  I made some shelves. 😍

52030095626_5e2d5aba3d_b.jpg

The woods dye went through a hole in my gloves.  ( just so you don’t think I’m slacking or anything 🥳😋) I also managed to squeeze in another gig. It’s been booked for two years. Nick Mason’s Saucerful of secrets. 🤩🤩🤩

They we’re FANTASTIC!!!

52030095696_a3a2f09cc9_b.jpg

any hoo. After looking at @HAMP man’s amazing gypsy engine I was hoping the Airfix one would look ok with a spot of dry brushing and weathering.

52030345179_b0fbb6b9f0_b.jpg

Mmm not too bad. And in place you can’t see much of it. (This is the hidden one as a practice)

52030129293_d8b240c489_b.jpg

Hopefully it’ll be ok s as is. I’ll close this one up now. Yes I forgot to add the frame section. 😞

But you’ll never know. 🤫

52030345409_85618201fd_b.jpg

The fit looks a bit gappy but it’s actually really good it’s just the paint throwing it off.  I added the frame on the open one and hoped it would look busy enough.

52030129588_a29cae91c4_b.jpg

There’s a fair gap at the rear and most of the piping isn’t represented. 😟

So with some scraps from the spares box.

52030611360_3d42b1cc37_b.jpg

And a few bits of painted lead.

52030345189_b4dbeb798e_b.jpg

I managed to cobble together something that looks a little more busy.

52030345404_bdce6c9626_b.jpg

Not perfect but more acceptable I think. Also the flap hinge is a bit thick so I cut that off too. I’ll make hinges with rod. 

52030095371_905ba06ac8_b.jpg

Just time for a quick dry fit of the top cowl before bed.

52030095721_7d5cde0a9b_b.jpg

Not too bad. 😇😍

Right then that’s your lot. I’m going to get some shut eye. Thanks for dropping by and helping out with this build. More soon.

Johnny. 🐯

• Like 14

Whoo Hoo!!

Engine loking absolutely fine!!

Saucerful of Secrets even more so

Envious.....I should say!

Hmmmmm!!

Geoff

• Thanks 1

Yes, those are the struts on the aft part of the u/c, so well done Airfix with the 1/48 kit. I’m not sure what I’m seeing with the top of the nose cowling/fuselage line, there appears to be a large step! That really shouldn’t be there, see here, pic 14. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Kitsticker said:

Whoo Hoo!!

Engine loking absolutely fine!!

Saucerful of Secrets even more so

Envious.....I should say!

Hmmmmm!!

Geoff

Thanks. They were amazing. 😍

1 hour ago, galgos said:

Yes, those are the struts on the aft part of the u/c, so well done Airfix with the 1/48 kit. I’m not sure what I’m seeing with the top of the nose cowling/fuselage line, there appears to be a large step! That really shouldn’t be there, see here, pic 14. 

Ahh good. As for the step it’s not large but it is there. It was discussed earlier in the thread and it was seen that some moths do have a step. I sanded to make it less so but maybe I can wiggle the whole front section off and are some more away. 
always seems to come after I’ve glued. 😞

1 hour ago, giemme said:

That tarted up engine looks indeed very good, Johnny! :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks G 😇

• Like 2

Hello Johnny,

Your engine greeblies are making me wonder if I should have gone retro and done some scratching myself. Nice job fella, I think that I need to make better descisions about the after market stuff as in this case the Dekno engine is mostly covered by the top cowling. On that note make sure that the fuselage and cowling mating surfaces are cleaned and square and the 'giant step for mankind' should be minimised.

I intend to sneak up and surprise the build later, and with your permission will try and post some photos, which is another thing you have pushed me into doing 👍

Box On

Strickers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, galgos said:

I’ve seen and flown quite a few Tiger Moths; a step at that point is not the norm. I’d certainly get rid of it if it was my model. 

Nice info to know, straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. Thanks for sharing

Box On

Strickers

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, galgos said:

I’ve seen and flown quite a few Tiger Moths; a step at that point is not the norm. I’d certainly get rid of it if it was my model. 
Max 

Roger Wilco. 😇🐯

3 hours ago, HAMP man said:

Hello Johnny,

Your engine greeblies are making me wonder if I should have gone retro and done some scratching myself. Nice job fella, I think that I need to make better descisions about the after market stuff as in this case the Dekno engine is mostly covered by the top cowling. On that note make sure that the fuselage and cowling mating surfaces are cleaned and square and the 'giant step for mankind' should be minimised.

I intend to sneak up and surprise the build later, and with your permission will try and post some photos, which is another thing you have pushed me into doing 👍

Box On

Strickers

Nah your one is ace. And please post all you like. It’s a real tonic to see how other folk do the same work. 🤩

3 hours ago, HAMP man said:

Nice info to know, straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. Thanks for sharing

Box On

Strickers

True.

46 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Moth is looking great. Saucer Full of Secrets, was that not a Jack Bruce album from the late 1960's?

Colin

Not that I know of. Cream right? This is Nick Mason of Pink Floyd. Saucerful of secrets is an album of there’s from 68 I believe. He plays a lot of early floyd. Really good if you get the chance to see them.

• Like 1