Camouflage and custard. Dual Tiger Moth Build. 1/48

Hi Johnny,

Lovely work on the Tiggies! I also have the Trumpy Firefly in the stash, but left it there in favour of the Special Hobby Mk.I. Despite the usual SH foibles it does build up nicely and is pretty accurate, although I'm sure with some 3D printing you'll be able to make the Trumpy kit shine! Best of luck with it,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Kitsticker said:

Another brilliant build and paint job - love those props!

For what it's worth, Firefly for me if only because it was a bit of a beast, I believe, and I've not seen one on BM so far.....(probably not been looking hard enough - I just skim through 'Work in Progress' actually, grabbing what interests me at the time either plane wise or builder......)

Whatever you decide:

1) It'll be great

2) I'll be following

All the best

Geoff

Thanks Geoff! I think it’s going to be the firefly. There are quite a few around, and ruddy good ones too, but I can’t find anyone who has done the Trumpeter one. I think it has such a bad press that folks just shy away.  Well here’s to embracing the trumpet. 🎺. ( hang on is that rude? 🤪)

11 hours ago, 81-er said:

Those are lookig great, Johnny, excellent work as ever!

@Kitsticker, there's a Firefly that's lined up for the Canadian GB here, though they've yet to make a start on the build

James

Thanks James. I’ve just followed that build in hopes he goes full on Trumpet too! 

9 hours ago, Dunny said:

Hi Johnny,

Lovely work on the Tiggies! I also have the Trumpy Firefly in the stash, but left it there in favour of the Special Hobby Mk.I. Despite the usual SH foibles it does build up nicely and is pretty accurate, although I'm sure with some 3D printing you'll be able to make the Trumpy kit shine! Best of luck with it,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger. Yes it seems a lot have done the same as yourself and favoured SH.  I saw your build by the way and a stunner it is. I’ll be using it as reference for sure.  

Johnny

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good evening BritModeller. Stourbridge calling. 😆

I’ve been playing around with some bits and bobs and thinking about what’s next while finishing off the last few parts of these Tiggies. I’ll do one more post when they’re dry. 
Sat in my garden enjoying the late evening contemplating fireflies, Lon Chaney and a little blue drone from the future. ❤️
Well I guess I should show the last few steps.

The props came out nice.

52196304593_4ae40ebbce_b.jpg

So I added them to the aeroplanes.

I used Gators grip in the pipe so I can spin the little fellas around. 😆😍

52195281252_b9f839c7a3_b.jpg

Looking suitably spiny roundy.  😵💫😇

I also glued on the little doors and the engine flap. I need to add the rod that holds it open but that’s about it. 

52196552929_4e115e9a06_b.jpg

I have a few ideas about what’s next but I do think that I need to finish my Silent running drone. 🤔 I’ll give it some thought.

Hope you’re all having a splendid week.

Happy modelling my dudes. 🤘

Johnny

• Like 16

Lovely job on the rigging Johnny. Both Moths are looking splendid. And those choices for next build are all great, but like Giorgio, I vote for the F-84!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I used Gators grip in the pipe so I can spin the little fellas around. 😆😍

T'ain't a proper model unless the prop(s) spin! (see what I did there :) )

Mine has been glaring at me from under the bench (I don't have room for a Shelf of Doom (SoD??)) so partials are stacked on the floor, and in a few larger drawers.

The fact that you have nearly completed two should be the poke in the glutes that I need to get it moved on.

Nice pair fnnar

Box On

Strickers

• Like 1

On 05/07/2022 at 21:07, Spookytooth said:

Excellent build(s) Johnny.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. I’m glad they’re done now. I was getting a little tired of all that rigging. 😉

15 hours ago, Hamden said:

Seconded!!!!!!!!!!

Stay safe      Roger

Thank you kind sir.

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Lovely job on the rigging Johnny. Both Moths are looking splendid. And those choices for next build are all great, but like Giorgio, I vote for the F-84!

Terry

Thanks Terry. The F-84 is still in the running but I’m leaning toward the Firefly. 
I’ll decide while finishing my little drone. 🤖

10 hours ago, HAMP man said:

T'ain't a proper model unless the prop(s) spin! (see what I did there :) )

Mine has been glaring at me from under the bench (I don't have room for a Shelf of Doom (SoD??)) so partials are stacked on the floor, and in a few larger drawers.

The fact that you have nearly completed two should be the poke in the glutes that I need to get it moved on.

Nice pair fnnar

Box On

Strickers

That poor engine. Sitting there all unloved. 
You know you want to keep that lovely build going.  ❤️

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

👍

Ooooh that jet! 😍

All the bits and bobs are done. 
I still need to take photos for the RFI so I’ll still post up one last time to pop that in here and a few extra shots just for you lovely lot.

Bits on for the South African moth.

give that prop a flick and around she goes. ❤️

52198176518_656f4f9d98_b.jpg

And the Navy one.

52198429229_d530200c1d_b.jpg

I’m yet to decide what aeroplane is next. 
probs the Firefly as I get to do some 3D printing.  Until then as I’m only doing one build at a time I’m popping over here to finish off my Silent Running build. 

I’ll pop some pics up here when I get the RFIs done. I need to do the moths and the little hind a. Too.

ok over to the other side to update Dewey. 
🤖❤️

Happy modelling folks. 

Johnny.

• Like 20

Lovely finish Johnny - look forward to seeing the RFI, along with the Firefly taking shape!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

Morning Stourbridge

Quick question on the Tiggies, how did you work out where to put the holes for the elevator wires on the rear fuse?

Oh and another vote for the Fly

Box on

Strickers 

• Like 1

Lovely....! 

I'm just going to come right out and say it, Johnny....... Wheel chocks. 

Just make a wee set and poke 'em in place, see what you think. If you don't like them, chuck them. Bit of plasticine will do for a mock up..... 😎

I think I've said previously that it's the F84 for me. I love the straight wing style, and all the colours and stripes on the bare metal. 

It looks so dainty on that front leg 😍

The chat reminded me of a video clip I saw, of a very "fit" looking Arabic woman refuelling her new Lambo. The interviewer asked what she did for a living, and she replied with the utmost bravado "I'm his second wife....", closed the gullwing door and drove off 😎

• Haha 2

On 07/07/2022 at 12:41, HAMP man said:

Morning Stourbridge

Quick question on the Tiggies, how did you work out where to put the holes for the elevator wires on the rear fuse?

Oh and another vote for the Fly

Box on

Strickers 

The instructions have a handy guide at the end telling you where all the rigging goes. Then I looked at ref shots and took my best guess.   Hope that helps. 😇

Johnny

On 06/07/2022 at 23:55, mark.au said:

A fabulous pair of TIgermoths, and a equally engaging WIP.  When I build mine, this will be a reference thread.  Thanks.

Thanks for your kind words. I hope your build goes well. 😇

On 07/07/2022 at 07:23, Dunny said:

Lovely finish Johnny - look forward to seeing the RFI, along with the Firefly taking shape!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks. At a gig this weekend so the RFI must wait a little longer. 🥹

On 07/07/2022 at 08:27, bigbadbadge said:

What a wonderful pair of Tiggies Johnny,  they look fantastic.  Great work indeed. 

Chris

Thanks. 😀

On 07/07/2022 at 08:46, AdrianMF said:

still looking smashing!

+1 for the Firefly.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. Firefly +1 😍

On 07/07/2022 at 10:19, giemme said:

Ooooooh lovely! :clap:  :clap: Looking forward to the RFI! 

Ciao

Thanks G

On 07/07/2022 at 12:10, hendie said:

what a nice pair Johnny.  great finish on both of them

🍐🍐Thanks Alan. 😉

On 07/07/2022 at 12:16, perdu said:

I vote for Johnny Jet

:)

I thought you’d say that. ☺️

On 07/07/2022 at 18:46, crobinsonh said:

Lovely builds

Thanks.

On 07/07/2022 at 19:51, rob Lyttle said:

Lovely....! 

I'm just going to come right out and say it, Johnny....... Wheel chocks. 

Just make a wee set and poke 'em in place, see what you think. If you don't like them, chuck them. Bit of plasticine will do for a mock up..... 😎

I think I've said previously that it's the F84 for me. I love the straight wing style, and all the colours and stripes on the bare metal. 

It looks so dainty on that front leg 😍

The chat reminded me of a video clip I saw, of a very "fit" looking Arabic woman refuelling her new Lambo. The interviewer asked what she did for a living, and she replied with the utmost bravado "I'm his second wife....", closed the gullwing door and drove off 😎

Chocks? Maybe. We shall see. 😉 funny story that. 😂

10 hours ago, Fritag said:

Gorgeously finished pair of Tiger Moths Johnny, glad I made it back before the RFIs.

Thanks Steve. Maybe on Sunday but I’m thinking next week for pics. 

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Marvellous pair Johnny, looking forward to the RFI shots when you have time :) 

🍐🍐 fnarr. 😆 shots for dots!! Coming soon.

jets and fighters.

Amazing no body wants to see the Libby get built. 🤔 I accidentally bought another one too. A type D with the big glass front! 🤤  I want to build them because of Jim’s amazing stories from the 453rd Museum. 

I’ll consider while Dewey is in progress.

J

• Like 3

I've dipped in and out of this great build, excellent result. I really should have plumbed for the 48th kit instead of the very fiddly (in FAA markings) 72nd one. Congratulations.

Colin

• Thanks 1