Camouflage and custard. Dual Tiger Moth Build. 1/48

On 29/06/2022 at 19:44, perdu said:

I do use the "bored with this for a minute, where's another one?" technique but frankly I ought to grow up and concentrate.

One at a time in future.

For now. 🤣

Yeah I get what you mean but I do like to focus on one thing. And two of the same thing feels a bit production line to me. (Shudder) 🫣

On 30/06/2022 at 05:46, AdrianMF said:

‘bout time too…

Ha! 😆

On 30/06/2022 at 05:56, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see some rigging and sitting on it's own undercarriage  too now.

Great work

Chris

Thanks Chris. More rigging this way comes.

On 30/06/2022 at 07:24, CedB said:

Great stuff Johnny. That prop looks good - great tip on the Seraphim! :) 

Thanks Ced. The seraphim has worked well. I think I might just leave as is. I like the play of light it leaves. 😇

• Like 3

Morning! Hope you all had a good week.

It’s Been a fun / busy week at work over the past few days. That married up with a birthday bonanza of three birthdays in four days run has left little time for Tiger months. Slow progress has been made over the week so I thought I’d share while I’m in the eye of the storm.

Here goes.

First off the screens got unmasked. 

52187943828_1aa51c3be8_b.jpg

and tother.

52188185724_a3fb1ca2e9_b.jpg

I’m really happy and a little bit surprised that they turned out as well as that. They’re so tiny.

A word to the wise though DO NOT copy what I did here. Add the glass parts before adding the wings. I test fitted for sure and sanded to suit but “paint” 🥹

paint has closed the gap a little making the fit totally impossible, especially if one is holding a freshly Gators griped screen twixt the jaws of a micro guage set of tweezers. 🤪😫😳🥵

Much Anglo Saxon was uttered under and over one’s breath before deciding to sod it off for a bad job and chop off the connecting pin and file to sit with a top of a sharp blade. 😶🌫️
Zero feels my pain and offers sympathy.

52187944193_f1b02a13af_b.jpg

Eventually we have this.

52188185714_9fa97184fe_b.jpg

and this.

52188419250_04a7a1922d_b.jpg

Two look! 👀 Two of the little blighters begging to be pushed over the finish line. 

52188185404_1f5b6e19b1_b.jpg

I’m a one Aeroplane at a time man after this. It’s like having two wives. Who wants that? 🤣

This helps. 😅

52187933661_8b727e3aca_b.jpg

Any hoo. Like baby birds squawking for food I tentatively add the rigging for the nose and canopy.

52188185399_833e0c1c8b_b.jpg

And of course the other.

52186917107_d30e35f2ba_b.jpg

Just remembering I had fitted the soft furnishings around the two/four cockpits I took snaps.

52187933611_b881188704_b.jpg

They finish it off quite nicely. 😇

52188185384_8b2c6c040e_b.jpg

A quick dry fit of a prop shows they’re all good and I can yellow top them both. 💛💛

52186917152_7d897a3cf1_b.jpg

Now just before I leave the comfort of my morning coffee table to clean the house and then get ready for Gemma’s birthday lunch and both my parents birthdays. I’ll share where we are as of now. One half of the wing rigging is sorted on both.

52188185409_8beab360bb_b.jpg

And

52188419580_5c14c8d756_b.jpg

Leaving the second wing wires and the close canopy on both. The doors and engine flap on Custard aaaand the prop tips. After that I thing Robert is your fathers brother. 😍

Hope you all have a splendid weekend chaps. Take care and as always.

Happy modelling.

Johnny.

• Like 24

Lovely stuff Johnny and a very nice save on the wind shields!

Jiggery Pokery looks as if it might be a nice brew, must try some of that!

T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2022 at 8:44 PM, perdu said:

I do use the "bored with this for a minute, where's another one?" technique but frankly I ought to grow up and concentrate.

One at a time in future.

For now. 🤣

Easy Bill, That's the way....

Grow up ????? Why ???

On 6/29/2022 at 8:37 PM, The Spadgent said:

Thanks Roger that Means a lot. I’m so glad you’re enjoying the build. Lots of boxes to choose from next. Bit a free have hopped to the top of the pile. 🤩

Propeller boss? Is that like the spinner bit? If it is then yes it’s that.  The bit that holds the doing thing onto the front bit. (All very technical) 😆

Thanks G.  A little more done tonight but not enough to post about. 

Yup there’s two. See above. 
I know right. I don’t know how CC does it. Driving me bojonkers. 

Im a one build kinda guy. 

J

Shhhht, I don't know either !!

I think that I'll start to use the SPBTM or at least give it a try !!

That's fine riggetty rigging Spad !! Congrats !!

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So the Spadgent method for rigging is attach bottom end with glue of choice then stretch ezeeline to top (through drilled hole?) And temporary secure with bluetac, flood hole with goc cut off waste? Sand smooth touch up paint.

Strickers 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hendie said:

mighty fine work there Johnny. 

Thank you fine sir. 😀 Not quite up to your standard but then again who is. 🙇‍♂️🙇‍♂️

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Lovely stuff Johnny and a very nice save on the wind shields!

Jiggery Pokery looks as if it might be a nice brew, must try some of that!

T.

Thanks. The drink was glorious. 

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I think that I'll start to use the SPBTM or at least give it a try !!

That's fine riggetty rigging Spad !! Congrats !!

CC

It’s a good method. Apart from I’m running out of line. 🤔 just ordered more. ❤️

2 hours ago, HAMP man said:

So the Spadgent method for rigging is attach bottom end with glue of choice then stretch ezeeline to top (through drilled hole?) And temporary secure with bluetac, flood hole with goc cut off waste? Sand smooth touch up paint.

Strickers 

Kind of. I sometimes do a hole but I can’t be bothered with all that clean up so I find a side that has a wrap or stretch point. Connection horn or struts and glue the other side First. Let that cure over night then stretch around the connection points and use the blu-tac as an anchor, then apply glue. Glue of choice is “rocket extra” The blue one. I admit it’s not totally accurate s stated previously but it works for me and I think it looks good enough. 🤩

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Top lashings on both Moths Johnny - amazing how much some of the smallest details can make the larger overall aircraft jump to life, and these two are really jumping!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Top notch work with an «E Z Line», Johnny! 👏 This double-build is absolutely fantastic.

On 02/07/2022 at 12:09, The Spadgent said:

I’m a one Aeroplane at a time man after this. It’s like having two wives. Who wants that? 🤣

I think it’s not that cool, handling two builds at the same time is much easier than handling two wives! 😹

Keep up the great work! 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nice job.

Always a good idea to attach anything in the region of "under the upper wing" before attaching upper wing.

I think you may regret the rigging method later though, when admiring your models and noticing that the lines are attached halfway down the struts. In my opinion it's far better to drill the holes and thread. Also adds structural strength.

However, it is as ever, entirely your choice. There is no "right way", just the way that works best for you!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are both looking rather splendid Johnny! I'm definitely going to add one to the list as soon as I've made more of a dent in the stash. I fully taking on board your comments about concentrating on one kit at a time, (at the moment for me, even one kit is a struggle!) but I quite like the idea of a Airfix duo de Havilland build with the Tiger Moth and Vampire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking very nice indeed Johnny, both doing very well and oh so close now.  I appreciate the tiny size of those windscreens,  just done mine, I go around the edges and the tabs with a Sharpie so hopefully they will go in the slot, but ic not I shall be also taking the tab off too!!!

It's a great feeling when the rigging starts to take shape. 

Sounds like you deserve a few more of those IPAs after you'd work candidates work around the house!!!

Great work

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/07/2022 at 17:11, Spookytooth said:

Just caught up on this one Johnny.

Getting tantalisingly near to the completion of these builds.

And they both look great.

Have a stress free day as you can mate.

Simon. 

Thanks my good man. Yup, nearly there now. 😇

On 02/07/2022 at 19:59, TheBaron said:

Top lashings on both Moths Johnny - amazing how much some of the smallest details can make the larger overall aircraft jump to life, and these two are really jumping!

Thanks Tony. I really need to get my RFIs done before starting a new build. I don’t want another backlog. 🤪

7 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Top notch work with an «E Z Line», Johnny! 👏 This double-build is absolutely fantastic.

I think it’s not that cool, handling two builds at the same time is much easier than handling two wives! 😹

Keep up the great work! 👍

Thanks Nikolay. Yes deffo a one model man for a while anyway. 🤫😉

5 hours ago, Brandy said:

Nice job.

Always a good idea to attach anything in the region of "under the upper wing" before attaching upper wing.

I think you may regret the rigging method later though, when admiring your models and noticing that the lines are attached halfway down the struts. In my opinion it's far better to drill the holes and thread. Also adds structural strength.

However, it is as ever, entirely your choice. There is no "right way", just the way that works best for you!

Ian

True. Many methods work. I like this way and it works for me. I do bi plane rigging the same way as I do aerials. These will be my fifth and sixth full on rigs done this way and I’ve had no slipping this far. Even on this monstrosity.

this was five years ago so hopefully that’sa good sign. 😇

4 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

These are both looking rather splendid Johnny! I'm definitely going to add one to the list as soon as I've made more of a dent in the stash. I fully taking on board your comments about concentrating on one kit at a time, (at the moment for me, even one kit is a struggle!) but I quite like the idea of a Airfix duo de Havilland build with the Tiger Moth and Vampire.

The tiggy and the vamp sounds fun but I’m sticking to my guns for now. One at a time. 😍. Thanks by the way. 😇

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Splendid job, Johnny - those windshields look ace! :clap::worthy:

Ciao 

Thanks G. It was close but they got on eventually. 😀

39 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking very nice indeed Johnny, both doing very well and oh so close now.  I appreciate the tiny size of those windscreens,  just done mine, I go around the edges and the tabs with a Sharpie so hopefully they will go in the slot, but ic not I shall be also taking the tab off too!!!

It's a great feeling when the rigging starts to take shape. 

Sounds like you deserve a few more of those IPAs after you'd work candidates work around the house!!!

Great work

Chris

Thanks Chris. Good luck with the screens and rigging. Your one is looking great. I do wish I had added some AM items. Alas.

• Like 3

Good evening BM. More Tiger moth action to finish off an eventful weekend.

One birthday left to go with two successful ones in the bag. 😇😇

who’s for rigging? 😝🥲

Eventual criss cross action is happening.

The rear canopy lines seemed to work well.

52191708848_9641362df6_b.jpg

Lots on Custard variant.

52192179130_c0dbaf3f69_b.jpg

and camo.

52191709263_8aa47c6eeb_b.jpg

Let that dry and come back later.

It is a slow process but you do get there in the end.

52191949449_f1fb3f4f58_b.jpg

the last rigs go on the ends.

52190682742_2c151eacb8_b.jpg

thinking about what @Brandy said about rigging. I’m under no illusion that these rigs are adding any stability to the structure at all. They are just for show, that’s why I think this works for what I need. If you’re indeed looking for some kind of structural features this method of rigging is not the one you’re after. 

Regardless we are here. All trimmed and almost done.

52191692901_c76db28ae1_b.jpg 52191708933_c59b92827e_b.jpg

You can see the last bit left to do on the underside of the one up there. ^^^
one word of warning. (I needed to be more careful) @giemme i know I know. This happened. 😫

52192179455_8f38d59006_b.jpg

but if you’ve followed this thread from the start you’ll know this ain’t my first rodeo.

aaaaaand fixed. 😎

52192179190_636f89a99e_b.jpg

These slimey things need some paint.

52192179450_a46ebbfcbe_b.jpg

And we’re almost there.

There are a few friends on my model room floor at the moment.

52190682787_f912c03b1a_b.jpg

I’m reading about the issues and bad press this kit gets. I’m sure with a bit of Elegoo love it’l she’ll be just fine. 😍

Then there’s this, inspired by the museum visit.

52191708953_21be6c839c_b.jpg

Or maybe the wild card?

52191949624_67bcc61407_b.jpg

Ahh. I’ll sleep on it. Need to get the Tiggies done first. 😉

Night night folks. 

Johnny.

• Like 20

16 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see the rigging almost done, always brings a smile and a great feeling of accomplishment when eyeing up the model, great work. 

Thanks for your kind comments re my build too.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Yup all done and dusted. I’m glad that part is over now. 

16 hours ago, giemme said:

Excellent rigging job (and progress all round), Johnny! :clap: :clap: 

I vote for the wild card, BTW :winkgrin:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. I thought you’d go for the jet! 🤩🚀

10 hours ago, hendie said:

a lovely eclipse of moths Mr J.   Rigging does add the final flair to the overall proceedings doesn't it.

my vote is for the elegoo magnet fwiw

Thanks Alan. I do love a model with rigging but it takes soo much time with my silly method.  I’m leaning toward the firefly. Must be a British thing. I always go for the under dog. I keep looking at the kit then reading the reviews. Yes there are a few errors but nothing too bad. Unless I’m missing something. 

8 hours ago, Brandy said:

Another vote for Firefly and Elegoo!

Ian

Ooooh it’s looking likely. Although I did just have a wallet malfunction and bought another liberator. A “D” this time. (That’ll be Jim’s fault) 😫🤔🤩

• Haha 3

Another brilliant build and paint job - love those props!

For what it's worth, Firefly for me if only because it was a bit of a beast, I believe, and I've not seen one on BM so far.....(probably not been looking hard enough - I just skim through 'Work in Progress' actually, grabbing what interests me at the time either plane wise or builder......)

Whatever you decide:

1) It'll be great

2) I'll be following

All the best

Geoff

• Thanks 1

Those are lookig great, Johnny, excellent work as ever!

@Kitsticker, there's a Firefly that's lined up for the Canadian GB here, though they've yet to make a start on the build

James

• Thanks 1