Camouflage and custard. Dual Tiger Moth Build. 1/48

11 hours ago, Hamden said:

What's not to enjoy, superb progress with this pair!

Stray safe           Roger

Oooh Thankyou kind sir. 😇

9 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm gonna have to talk you through this in person :winkgrin:  and now I know I'll need some beer to actually convince you :winkgrin:  :winkgrin:  but there are two things you can do to avoid that kind of problem: paint the roundels on (  :whistle: ) or don't get anywhere near a decal with tape ... :shrug:

Kidding aside, great fix on the roundel and excellent weathering all around. :clap: Also, great job on fitting the top wing on the camo one! :worthy: 

Ciao

I know, I know. I didn’t mean to put the tape near it to be fair. It just looked over and stuck. 😩 but feel free to explain things in a few weeks. I’ll bet my beer thinking hat on. 😇🤩🫣

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Good save on the roundel Johnny, they're looking really good :) 

Thanks. Darn things. 😯

9 hours ago, perdu said:

Wot Ced Cez

Really looking very nearly awesome already, lovely jubbly.

Tremendous wingfixing, must take notes for my wing fittings this week probably.

Oh by the way

Telford, you don't have to dress up (unless your club supplies a uniform...) (( ours does)) just come and say yippee I am here at last

And yippeee isnt it wonderful?

IT IS!

I may well do that. When’s the date? November isn’t it? 

7 hours ago, Marklo said:

Telford is on my (err) bucket list and I’m determined to get there,  if not this year then next year, I’d also love to take in Bovingtin,  Duxford and the IWM( I think I was in my twenties the last time I visited it ) maybe make it a European tour and get to the Musee Des Blindes. Budgets, health and geopolitical events permitting of course.

Crikey that’s a lot of visiting you have planned. 🤩

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Soooo, Garry Oldman is a friend of your ???

I'll try this german beer...

I use to drink something called Donlel beer when I'm in Germany...

Tasty one indeed !!

My wallet is telling me to get in Telford next year....

I'll make my best to not comply...

CC

Ha! I’ll let him know you said that. 🤗😀

The beer is smoked. I think they smoke the hops. It’s very easy to drink and very tasty. 😉

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

All looking fine Johnny, both custard and camo .

And time out for a beer or three with a good friend, can't be bad.

Simon.

I know right. Life is good. 😇

3 hours ago, hendie said:

masterful decaling, dirtying, and drinking Johnny. 

I'm looking forward now to seeing someone else enjoy the... ehhrrrrr... strangely therapeutic joys of rigging.

I actually do enjoy rigging.  Well I enjoy it when it works. 🫥

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

I think you're missing the point.

The topcoat is only attached to the decal. The weakest link will give, so if the tape is stuck to the topcoat well, and the topcoat is stuck to the decal stronger than the decal is stuck to the wing....guess which join will break?

Nice save though!

Ian

Ahh now that makes a lot of sense. To be fair I never tape over decals, not any more Any way. This time was a simple mistake but maybe I should start using step one of the micro set / sol procedure. Just in case.

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

Nice work on the moths, as always, Johhny :)

Chalk me up as another that's hoping to make Telford (real life permitting).

As for Duxford @Marklo, having visited it a fortnight ago I can thoroughly recommend visting on a Monday that isn't a school holidday (nice and quiet) and also booking in on the Lancaster talk if they're still doing it. More than worth the extra tenner!

James

Ahhh Duxford. I’ve never been. I should as it to my list.

31 minutes ago, HAMP man said:

Looks like the start of a BM mass - ive  takeover at the bar, with beer involved could be an overnighter.

Tricky blighters, them stickers, the weakest link explanation sounds logical, putting that one in the rollerdex for future reference.

Nice change of have a tar, Spadgers

Box on

Strickers

Ha! Thanks. I was going for Donald Sutherland in Kelly’s  Heroes. 😆

21 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Funny thing that I used to work on inkjet printheads which are built up from many layers of various plastics and resins and basically prone to lots of different delamination defects, the obvious but rarely correct solution being to strengthen up the interface that failed, whereas the correct solution was usually to balance the strength of all the interfaces.

Returning to the modelling world I find that a smear of Kristal Klear ( or thinned PVA)  or clear varnish under a wayward decal followed by pressing it down with a q tip works wonders 

Yes a spot of glue might help. I’ll add that step back into my process.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

obvious but rarely correct solution being to strengthen up the interface that failed,

Exactly, that just makes the weak link somewhere else. But, if the weak link is now between 2 layers of clearcoat, you have achieved the goal and saved the decal. My point is, the decal must be properly adhered or no amount of clearcoat will save it. The only sure way is not to stick masking tape over decals as you don't know where the weak link is, or to be very sure that your tape is virtually non-sticky, making sure that the tape is the weak link!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Exactly, that just makes the weak link somewhere else. But, if the weak link is now between 2 layers of clearcoat, you have achieved the goal and saved the decal. My point is, the decal must be properly adhered or no amount of clearcoat will save it. The only sure way is not to stick masking tape over decals as you don't know where the weak link is, or to be very sure that your tape is virtually non-sticky, making sure that the tape is the weak link!

Ian

My point too, really. 

Or just paint the markings on as much as possible,  it's the safest way... :winkgrin:

I know, I know, I'll get my coat :coat:

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Crikey that’s a lot of visiting you have planned. 🤩

Well seeing as we’ve been locked up for the last two years and it’s been about ten years since I’ve been on a proper holiday I’d love to do a grand progress of all the major museums in England and northern France.

In fact on my last proper holiday we visited the Musee de la Resistance and I got to ride in an M3 half track.

• Like 2

Now that's a nice avatar !!

A pilot's leather helmetwould have been even greater !!

Nicely done, is it made from a pic or CAD ??

CC

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

They are both progressing well , great work. 

Chris

Thanks. 😇

17 hours ago, Brandy said:

Ian

I’ll strive to fix them down in the future. Just in case. 

17 hours ago, giemme said:

My point too, really. 

Or just paint the markings on as much as possible,  it's the safest way... :winkgrin:

I know, I know, I'll get my coat :coat:

Ciao 

Shush Penfold. 😉

17 hours ago, Marklo said:

Well seeing as we’ve been locked up for the last two years and it’s been about ten years since I’ve been on a proper holiday I’d love to do a grand progress of all the major museums in England and northern France.

In fact on my last proper holiday we visited the Musee de la Resistance and I got to ride in an M3 half track.

True. We could all do with getting out more. And wow!!!! 🤗 I bet that was fun.

52 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Now that's a nice avatar !!

A pilot's leather helmetwould have been even greater !!

Nicely done, is it made from a pic or CAD ??

CC

It is a pilots Leather helmet. I was at  Yeovil FAA. It didn’t have goggles alas.

I used that “new profile pic” app. Just tidied it up in photoshop afterwards. Looks like something from MAD magazine. 😆

Just a side step. I was at my folks house the other day looking for some old toys in the loft when I came across this.

Must have been nine or ten when I made it.

52111137747_23e07475f7_b.jpg

Any ideas from the hive mind what make it is? It would be great to get the kit again and see what the difference is thirty odd years later.

Wheels up too.

52111137772_729515b011_b.jpg

With silver tyres. 🫣🫣 And all those lines.

I used to paint everything in Humbrol gloss. Even dinosaurs. 😆 I’d smather them in blood. Even the herbivores. 

52111137767_6a9e8584ec_b.jpg

My chief bug bear when I was a kid was I couldn’t understand how you could paint the cockpit and pilot after it was finished. 😆

52112408624_841b5c0628_b.jpg

Now I know better.

@corsaircorp I hope these gave you a bit of a chuckle. 

johnny

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

Well Spad !!

I think that once again you fared better than I did....

At 8 or 9, my kits did'nt receive any paint.....

First reason, there was no paint at home and my parents did'nt care about that....

I'll bet for a Heller P-40

Nice job indeed !!

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Just a side step. I was at my folks house the other day looking for some old toys in the loft when I came across this.

Must have been nine or ten when I made it.

Great find Johnny

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Fared better than me too Alain; painted or not, all my childhood efforts ended hung up in the back garden and shot down by my Dad and me with an air rifle....

On 5/29/2022 at 11:25 PM, The Spadgent said:

And Flory got added to the custard.

You're definitely the 'master of the flory', to use a renaissance-sounding phrase, Johnny; wielded with an artist's eye for shadow and shade.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Well Spad !!

First reason, there was no paint at home and my parents did'nt about that....

I'll bet for a Heller P-40

Nice job indeed !!

CC

Thanks cc. Intrigued I had a search and found out it’s Matchbox!!! Bless my soul.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/matchbox-pk-31-p-40n-warhawk--963081

there’s one on eBay but it’s unopened and £25 I’m sure I might find one at Telford for less. 😀

Any one got one? Wanna sell it? 😉

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

Great find Johnny

Fared better than me too Alain; painted or not, all my childhood efforts ended hung up in the back garden and shot down by my Dad and me with an air rifle....

You're definitely the 'master of the flory', to use a renaissance-sounding phrase, Johnny; wielded with an artist's eye for shadow and shade.

shot up models. 🫣😨 blimey. I did have a pellet gun but I shout cans and tiles. 😯

Thanks for the kind words.  

A true gent. 👊

Johnny

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

all my childhood efforts ended hung up in the back garden and shot down by my Dad and me with an air rifle....

Most of mine too. Then I'd stick the pieces back together and shoot them again. Ad infinitum.

Including Airfix's 1/24 Spit!

I finally binned the remaining ones that were in my Dad's loft last time I was home.

Ian

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, Fritag said:

Being the first born of 8...

Guess what has happened to my poor kits ??? Da.... Brothers and sisters....

The worst has been my HMS Wasa, and on that one, I blotched some humbrol paints...

My mother find it very good and put the kit in the aquarium for giving the exotic fishes some shelter....

I was mad and furious....

BUT !!! Heaven justice striked hard... I still don't know if it was an effect of paint or glue....

But the following day all the fishes were dead.....

I did'nt found it funny for a while since I've been accused of having poisoned the fishes....

The kit got binned and I got a correction from my olds... Both 2....

Huh my infancy is not the one anyone can dream about... :shrug::shrug:

Ah tomorrow, I'll be back at the bench !!!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks cc. Intrigued I had a search and found out it’s Matchbox!!! Bless my soul.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/matchbox-pk-31-p-40n-warhawk--963081

there’s one on eBay but it’s unopened and £25 I’m sure I might find one at Telford for less. 😀

Any one got one? Wanna sell it? 😉

shot up models. 🫣😨 blimey. I did have a pellet gun but I shout cans and tiles. 😯

Thanks for the kind words.  

A true gent. 👊

Johnny

I did'nt get it but if I can catch one....

It will be sent to Spadgent's towers....

CC

• Thanks 1

I should have recognised that P40, because there's a Matchbox Group Build ongoing and remarkably EVERY Matchbox kit - every single one - is being done by one or other participants. That's one of their first lot I think. The seam line underwing is a "remarkable" feature isn't it!? 😀 

EBAY =silly money, have a look around the vendors at the shows. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Brandy said:

Most of mine too. Then I'd stick the pieces back together and shoot them again. Ad infinitum.

Including Airfix's 1/24 Spit!

I finally binned the remaining ones that were in my Dad's loft last time I was home.

Ian

It’s a shame but an inevitable fact I guess. Maybe we should just shoot our kits after building. 🥹

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Being the first born of 8...

Guess what has happened to my poor kits ??? Da.... Brothers and sisters....

The worst has been my HMS Wasa, and on that one, I blotched some humbrol paints...

My mother find it very good and put the kit in the aquarium for giving the exotic fishes some shelter....

I was mad and furious....

BUT !!! Heaven justice striked hard... I still don't know if it was an effect of paint or glue....

But the following day all the fishes were dead.....

I did'nt found it funny for a while since I've been accused of having poisoned the fishes....

The kit got binned and I got a correction from my olds... Both 2....

Huh my infancy is not the one anyone can dream about... :shrug::shrug:

Ah tomorrow, I'll be back at the bench !!!

Sincerely.

CC

Gah! Sorry to hear about your mothers fish. I’m surprised it didn’t float in the tank. 

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I did'nt get it but if I can catch one....

It will be sent to Spadgent's towers....

CC

To kind CC I’m sure I’ll find one floating about. Not in a fish tank I hope. 🐟

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I should have recognised that P40, because there's a Matchbox Group Build ongoing and remarkably EVERY Matchbox kit - every single one - is being done by one or other participants. That's one of their first lot I think. The seam line underwing is a "remarkable" feature isn't it!? 😀 

EBAY =silly money, have a look around the vendors at the shows. 

Thanks. I did see a build or two on here. Looks like a good kit but I’m not sure about all those raised lines. I checked the stash and I do have this that I picked up for a bargain price.  

52116031309_ae41efdea7_b.jpg

Might just have to be done. 😇

hope (if you are) you all have a great extended Bank holiday. 

Happy modelling.

Johnny

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Might just have to be done. 😇

Another big one, uh? :winkgrin:  :D

Looking forward to see that build! :tasty:

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2022 at 10:13, galgos said:

If you want to see the ultimate P40 build, look here

Wowa! That’s a beauty. I’ll book mark that one for the build. 😇

On 02/06/2022 at 14:13, Brandy said:

Aka Russ Abbott!

I knew the new pic reminded of someone!

Ian

Oh gawd! 🥸

On 02/06/2022 at 18:05, giemme said:

Another big one, uh? :winkgrin:  :D

Looking forward to see that build! :tasty:

Ciao 

Yes. I must be mad. 😜

• Like 2

Hey guys. Excuse the lack of updates. It’s been a crazy few weeks.  Myself @CedB @giemme @Fritag @tomprobert @woody37 And @general melchett all popped up to the 453rd bomber museum to drop off Jim’s models Last weekend.  A great time was had by all. Jim was a wonderful host making sure we were fed , watered and stacked to the rafters with new kits books and decals. The museum Is a great place to visit and Jim is a hive of information about the bomber group and surrounding units. Food was eaten, beer was drank and a good time was had by all.

Here’s a pic courtesy of @CedB of us all .

52150868802_7faafa370f_b.jpg

I’m doing my best to squat and not block out  @Fritag 😅

The kits looked great in situ. Not sure if that’s where they’re staying but there looked good regardless.

52152117759_c10f27024b_b.jpg 52151879771_bf3a485184_b.jpg

What’s fine bunch of gents to spend a few days with. A true pleasure. 😀

Also while gallivanting I managed to procure this off the bay.

52151897021_c1ba4ab8e9_b.jpg

£10 …. That’s more liked it. 😍

Exactly the same kit as my childhood one, colours and all. 😇

Luckily I am on holiday this week but all the time has been soaked up re decorating the kitchen.

52150868922_32d1fd6c93_b.jpg

And various outside tasks. Honestly if I have to paint those doors one more time. 😫

52151885968_738e51203c_b.jpg

Work on the moths will continue shortly.

Or I might just explode! 🤯

Thanks for being patient.

Johnny heatwave 🥵

• Like 19

I enjoyed your visit to the Museum Johnny, not as much as if I had tagged along with you but  as much as I can by proxy.

Well done gentlemen.

You will have a decent few days to finish the garden table set too.

Tops on.

👌

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You have my symapthies on the DIY interferring with modelling time, I'm having exactly the same issue. Homeownership is great, eh? 🤣

James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

The museum Is a great place to visit and Jim is a hive of information about the bomber group and surrounding units. Food was eaten, beer was drank and a good time was had by all.

I can only echo that :thumbsup: I definitely had a great time! :) :)  🍻  :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 5