Camouflage and custard. Dual Tiger Moth Build. 1/48

58 minutes ago, Martian said:

Those that know me

Therein lies the problem, not being a member of a club, very little chance to properly get to know the excellent contributors  on this site.

Apologies for the side-slippage

Box on

Strickers

• Like 3

Strickers you're in the club here matey!

Should you wish to 'get physical' about this and meet people IRL (ooh, get me, blog talk) then get yourself up to Telford. We are your tribe and you'll be welcomed with open arms and, if CC is there, some very strong beer :) 

• Haha 6

On 24/05/2022 at 16:47, HAMP man said:

Therein lies the problem, not being a member of a club, very little chance to properly get to know the excellent contributors  on this site.

Box on

Strickers

As Ced ably says you are a member of this club, turn up where we do and you'll be in the social thick of it all at once.

And very welcome too.

I can pronounce this definitively because I am the thick referred to above socially.

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Strickers you're in the club here matey!

Should you wish to 'get physical' about this and meet people IRL (ooh, get me, blog talk) then get yourself up to Telford. We are your tribe and you'll be welcomed with open arms and, if CC is there, some very strong beer :) 

What Ced Ced. I only know how strange our fellow bm'ers are cos I met them at Telford in '19 and realised I fitted right in!

I'll be there this year too, see you there!

Wibble

Ian

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Brandy said:

What Ced Ced

You should trademark that, Ian - genius! :rofl:  :rofl:  (or should Ced?  :hmmm:  :D  )

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

What Ced Ced. I only know how strange our fellow bm'ers are cos I met them at Telford in '19 and realised I fitted right in!

I'll be there this year too, see you there!

Wibble

Ian

Ditto

But of course I am so old I already knew how strange we all would be, Ian being so much younger had to see it for hisself. :whistle:

:cheers:

• Haha 3

On 24/05/2022 at 16:47, HAMP man said:

Box on

Strickers

Wot they all said about you being in this club. BM is very accepting of all sorts, even betentacled  Martians and Ancient members of the Imperial General Staff (General Melchett), dodgy bladders included. As to Telford, it's a no brainer, If you can't find the others, I should not be that hard to spot. I understand that @corsaircorp will be in attendance this year, bin bags in hand, so if you go, just look out for a group of dodgy looking people of a certain age, swigging down booze.:drink:

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Haha 5

I believe I have spotted you at a previous Telford but you were wearing you blue human skin disguise at the time.

This year I will make a point of getting a babble fish off Amabay so that we can commune, and discuss british leyland sports vehicles

Box on

Strickers

• Like 4

On 24/05/2022 at 10:52, HAMP man said:

Hours of endless fun working out the electrics, the French plough their own furrow where wires are concerned.

If I recall correctly the TR7 was described as the R sent of Mann by one reviewer, looks brill from the front, but a bit Gannet esk from the back. 

Box on

Strickers

I don’t think I’ll be doing any tinkering with this new car other that filling it with fuel. Hopefully fewer litres than the beast. 😈

• Like 3

Good evening you gentle and wonderful lot. Such a slow day today. Things occurred but at a crawl pace with lots of resting in between. Bliss. 😯

I think the afternoon out drinking with my oldest and best friend on his birthday has something to do with the pace.

@corsaircorp this was a stunner. (Again)

52108190423_bf8c8f3584_b.jpg

Not really a hang over today. I don’t really drink that much any more but a slow day was had.  Some modelling was done. 🤓

A few days ago I popped on a mat top coat onto the camo one.

52108465404_d97f485e35_b.jpg 52108465419_699bd2306f_b.jpg

And Flory got added to the custard.

Don’t panic almost all of that will come off.

52107195197_7d649d5665_b.jpg

See!

52107194917_3c966b01e4_b.jpg

Moving back to tother for a bit I can start to do some construction of stuff.

The main UC first.

52108190388_663da69c56_b.jpg

Then the struts on the tail.

52108665365_aa89201712_b.jpg

It was time to deal with the elephant in the room. 🐘

The wings. I have decided to follow the kit instructions on the construction path so.

52108153996_1ae3b93405_b.jpg

Those fitted really well.

After that has cured I did a dry fit. 

“Look at the bones!!!!!!” 🐇😉

52108190408_85c2869de6_b.jpg

Next up would be to fit the main struts to the upper wing. 

52108665345_a6dc418e82_b.jpg

Pretty straight forward. Something is going to go wrong I can feel it. 
The next bit was done in two steps. I glued the outer struts first. You can see the middle ones still not pushed down. 

52108153981_5f6220207a_b.jpg

I decided the best course of action to pull the wing into place would be a few strips of masking tape. 🥹 guess what? 

52107132012_f70226dbbf_b.jpg

only touched this roundel with the yellow tape and woof!!!  It amazes me that decals Lift even after three coats of top coat. 😫

luckily it’s only a corner.  With the tape  idea sodded off i code for a full pot of Tamiya paint popped on top to weight it down instead. All this after I painted the roundel. 😇

52108728880_252ce204ed_b.jpg

🤫🤫🤫🤫 They’ll never know. 😎

Here she is with the main struts glued down.

52108253288_430fc00771_b.jpg

I have also added the rear skid.

This is only a bit joint which is surprising but it seems to do the trick.

52108217591_f7a01e63fb_b.jpg

Taking the weight well.

52108253283_0eed9252f2_b.jpg

Right while that all got a proper dry I started on your friend and mine. “Custard”

52108217226_4115910ca7_b.jpg

See! Nice and clean (ish) 🤩

Almost done in this shot.

52107195217_faa90d90eb_b.jpg

Still a bit more to wipe away.

And I think that’s it.

52107194927_2beb5a3dbf_b.jpg

I have painted wheels and hatches and what not  but forgot to take shots. 🤪

Never mind. I’ll save them for next time. 
Well that’s me done. work tomorrow so I need me bed. Hope you all had a lovely weekend and I do hope you’re still enjoying the build. 
All the best and as always.

Happy modelling.  

Johnny. 😀

• Like 27

On 28/05/2022 at 19:17, HAMP man said:

I believe I have spotted you at a previous Telford but you were wearing you blue human skin disguise at the time.

This year I will make a point of getting a babble fish off Amabay so that we can commune, and discuss british leyland sports vehicles

Box on

Strickers

I'll have you know that that is my best party frock!

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

@HAMP man @CedB @perdu @Brandy @Martian  Blimey I missed that entire conversation on the other page. 😯 we’re all family on BM. At least it feels like it. I’m yet to meet any one in the flesh either ( soon to be remedied ). I’ve also never been to a Telford. The lure of a @corsaircorp in the wild with bin bags full of models? Beer? Both. Might make me pop my Telford cherry. 😇

sweet dreams you mad lot.

J

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I do hope you’re still enjoying the build. 

What's not to enjoy, superb progress with this pair!

Stray safe           Roger

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

only touched this roundel with the yellow tape and woof!!!

I'm gonna have to talk you through this in person :winkgrin:  and now I know I'll need some beer to actually convince you :winkgrin:  :winkgrin:  but there are two things you can do to avoid that kind of problem: paint the roundels on (  :whistle: ) or don't get anywhere near a decal with tape ... :shrug:

Kidding aside, great fix on the roundel and excellent weathering all around. :clap: Also, great job on fitting the top wing on the camo one! :worthy: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wot Ced Cez

Really looking very nearly awesome already, lovely jubbly.

Tremendous wingfixing, must take notes for my wing fittings this week probably.

Oh by the way

Telford, you don't have to dress up (unless your club supplies a uniform...) (( ours does)) just come and say yippee I am here at last

And yippeee isnt it wonderful?

IT IS!

• Haha 3

Telford is on my (err) bucket list and I’m determined to get there,  if not this year then next year, I’d also love to take in Bovingtin,  Duxford and the IWM( I think I was in my twenties the last time I visited it ) maybe make it a European tour and get to the Musee Des Blindes. Budgets, health and geopolitical events permitting of course.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Soooo, Garry Oldman is a friend of your ???

I'll try this german beer...

I use to drink something called Donlel beer when I'm in Germany...

Tasty one indeed !!

My wallet is telling me to get in Telford next year....

I'll make my best to not comply...

CC

• Like 2

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

It amazes me that decals Lift even after three coats of top coat.

I think you're missing the point.

The topcoat is only attached to the decal. The weakest link will give, so if the tape is stuck to the topcoat well, and the topcoat is stuck to the decal stronger than the decal is stuck to the wing....guess which join will break?

Nice save though!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice work on the moths, as always, Johhny :)

Chalk me up as another that's hoping to make Telford (real life permitting).

As for Duxford @Marklo, having visited it a fortnight ago I can thoroughly recommend visting on a Monday that isn't a school holidday (nice and quiet) and also booking in on the Lancaster talk if they're still doing it. More than worth the extra tenner!

James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like the start of a BM mass - ive  takeover at the bar, with beer involved could be an overnighter.

Tricky blighters, them stickers, the weakest link explanation sounds logical, putting that one in the rollerdex for future reference.

Nice change of have a tar, Spadgers

Box on

Strickers

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Brandy said:

The topcoat is only attached to the decal. The weakest link will give, so if the tape is stuck to the topcoat well, and the topcoat is stuck to the decal stronger than the decal is stuck to the wing....guess which join will break?

Funny thing that I used to work on inkjet printheads which are built up from many layers of various plastics and resins and basically prone to lots of different delamination defects, the obvious but rarely correct solution being to strengthen up the interface that failed, whereas the correct solution was usually to balance the strength of all the interfaces.

Returning to the modelling world I find that a smear of Kristal Klear ( or thinned PVA)  or clear varnish under a wayward decal followed by pressing it down with a q tip works wonders 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2