and there was I, so looking forward to seeing 

On 5/9/2022 at 5:03 PM, The Spadgent said:

the blue worms.

and all you show is grey worms.

So disappointed.

Lovely coloring in though.

• Haha 5

On 10/05/2022 at 21:46, AdrianMF said:

Lovely colours. And the pre-shading on the yellow is ace.

Regards,

Adrian

Thank you kind sir. 😀

On 10/05/2022 at 22:26, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Johnny, really like the custard Moth, but boy, the cammo aircraft demos incredible work so I am big fan of both—your pre-shading is amazing!  Best, Erwin 

Too kind. Thanks. 🤗

On 11/05/2022 at 05:20, Natter said:

It's your model and your hobby, do what makes you happy.

That’s the plan. 😇

On 11/05/2022 at 07:40, giemme said:

I knew the camo one wasn't going to be disappointing :D  In fact, it looks ace! :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks G

On 11/05/2022 at 08:14, bigbadbadge said:

They do look really splendid , the yellow looks very striking and the Camo one gorgeous,  great work  and good save on the 5 on he SAAF machine.

Chris

Thanks. Alas a free decal woes to come.

On 11/05/2022 at 09:48, 81-er said:

Excellent paintwork there, Johnny. Taking notes for sure ;)

James

Thanks. Please take notes on the decals.

On 11/05/2022 at 12:02, hendie said:

and there was I, so looking forward to seeing 

and all you show is grey worms.

So disappointed.

Lovely coloring in though.

Oh yes. I did buy blu tac but it ended up being white. Why you get white blu tack who knows?? 🫣🤪. Ken Russell would appreciate my white worms but as I’ve painted with them already they are a little dirty. Behold the grey worm . 🤩🥳

On 11/05/2022 at 15:30, Quiet Mike said:

That's come out a treat 👍

Thank you. 

On 11/05/2022 at 19:57, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Absolutely! 👏 It’s always a pleasure to see how you work with the paint, Johnny. Lovely build here.

Thank you Old boy, much appreciated. 😍

• Like 5

Sorry for the lack of Weekend updates. The weekend passed me by but some progress has been made in small doses.

As mentioned in the Mail box above the decals have again struck a raw nerve. Has anyone had trouble with extra decals? 
see on the custard one. ‘Twas smooth then once the top coat was added bobbles occurred? 😖

52079230790_70e74f5a08_b.jpg

not a show stopper but a bit of a pain. I have micro solled again and popped what bubbles I can with a scalpel but I’m not happy.  These decals aren’t really great. Too thin. They don’t stick and react badly under gloss. 😔

These have gone on ok but I am yet to top coat. I’ll do tentative coats.

52079230825_a896b6f636_b.jpg

Roundels before the storm.

52077702362_dd25197cde_b.jpg

The fuselage ones are looking good. I just hope the gloss works well tomorrow.

52078978764_142276cf98_b.jpg

And this is how they are until I try TS13.

52079230800_113cc29dee_b.jpg

Decals done. Weathering and final construction to go. Then double rigging action. 😇🤩

Hope you all had a stunning weekend.

Take castes and as always. Happy modelling.

Johnny

• Like 17
  • Confused 1

Looking good Johnny. Those bubbles are a pain but I'm sure you'll sort them.

Fingers crossed for the gloss :) 

• Thanks 1

The decals really bringing them to life Johnny, it's a shame they reacted in that way, I did have a similar issue with the Xtradecal roundels on my FAA all yellow Anson on the top surface of the wings, I put it down to them being so big as all the others were fine !!!

Splendid work on this pair.

Chris

• Thanks 1

That's a pain about the decals, Johnny, I hope you've got them sorted now. I'll take note as well, I've got a couple of sets of Xtradecals, but not used them yet.

I thought about you yesterday, I took a trip to Duxford and spotted they have a camo & custard Tiger Moth hanging in the first hanger there.

James

• Thanks 1

Weird is what it is, got me at a loss.

Can you warn me as to which 'top coat' you applied which destroyed your equilibrium mate?

Xtradecs are thin to fragile anyway but I found when using them that I apply over shiny glossy surfaces with a smidgeon of Microsol on, then when set simply remove the 'shiny' with a light dusting of TS-80 Flat varnish from Tamiya

Their TS-89 semi gloss clear 'shines' up a surface nicely before applying transfers.

Not that this will stop you producing magic, often these are the times when the magic extends.

• Thanks 1

that's a kick in the wotsits with the stickers Johnny. I've never seen that before.  Is it definitely the stickers that have bubbled and not the gloss globbing up on the surface of the decals?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Has anyone had trouble with extra decals?

I have no idea what may have gone wrong with your model, I love xtradecals. Only the ultra close-up photos show the problem, the models look fabulous.

• Thanks 1

Johnny, thanks for the Xtradecal info/warning, they do have some nice markings so it nice to be forewarned about potential issues.  That said your work looks brilliant!  You did a great job knocking down some of the bubbles—looking fwd to the next update—best, Erwin

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Looking good Johnny. Those bubbles are a pain but I'm sure you'll sort them.

Fingers crossed for the gloss :) 

Thanks Mr B. I think I has it sorted. 😉

14 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The decals really bringing them to life Johnny, it's a shame they reacted in that way, I did have a similar issue with the Xtradecal roundels on my FAA all yellow Anson on the top surface of the wings, I put it down to them being so big as all the others were fine !!!

Splendid work on this pair.

Chris

Thanks Chris. It is I fear self inflicted, the others seem fine. Read on. 

13 hours ago, 81-er said:

That's a pain about the decals, Johnny, I hope you've got them sorted now. I'll take note as well, I've got a couple of sets of Xtradecals, but not used them yet.

I thought about you yesterday, I took a trip to Duxford and spotted they have a camo & custard Tiger Moth hanging in the first hanger there.

James

Thanks for thinking of me while at Duxford. I bet that moth was a real stunner!! 🤩🤩

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Weird is what it is, got me at a loss.

Can you warn me as to which 'top coat' you applied which destroyed your equilibrium mate?

Xtradecs are thin to fragile anyway but I found when using them that I apply over shiny glossy surfaces with a smidgeon of Microsol on, then when set simply remove the 'shiny' with a light dusting of TS-80 Flat varnish from Tamiya

Their TS-89 semi gloss clear 'shines' up a surface nicely before applying transfers.

Not that this will stop you producing magic, often these are the times when the magic extends.

Thanks for the advice Bill. I think you might have something there. I used Tamiya TS-13 as always but I think I put down too much of a wet coat on the outset and it forced a reaction with the decal. I’ll try the other one tomorrow but be less heavy handed.

10 hours ago, hendie said:

that's a kick in the wotsits with the stickers Johnny. I've never seen that before.  Is it definitely the stickers that have bubbled and not the gloss globbing up on the surface of the decals?

Deffo the stickers. As I mentioned up there, I think I was a bit over zealous with the gloss and did a bit of a wet coat instead of a light dust. 🫣

1 hour ago, Natter said:

I have no idea what may have gone wrong with your model, I love xtradecals. Only the ultra close-up photos show the problem, the models look fabulous.

Thank you. Yes it’s not too bad really just a bit of a niggle. 

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Despite of the decal mishaps,  the two look ace! :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks G.

Yes well. 🤔 I think it was I wot caused the darned thing to react. Looking at the others there is nothing wrong but I remember the tail looking a little grainy as I hadn’t quite got a good coat of TS-13 down originally. So in my infinite wisdom I thought it a good idea to go spray Happy with the gloss.     Fool !!!

so bubble it did. I have managed to pop the little blighters with a scalpel and pop on more MicroSol. A few rolls with a bud and they’re better. Not perfect but better. 
I’ll do a gloss coat on the tother tomorrow as Bill suggested and see what happens.

Fingers crossed. Thanks for the feedback, it’s much welcomed. 🤗

Jont.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Johnny, thanks for the Xtradecal info/warning, they do have some nice markings so it nice to be forewarned about potential issues.  That said your work looks brilliant!  You did a great job knocking down some of the bubbles—looking fwd to the next update—best, Erwin

I’m sure the decals themselves are fine. They seemed to go down well everywhere else. I’ll do a post tomorrow with the new findings. 🤩

Thanks for the kind words. 🤩

Johnny getting up to Foinavon and heading for the finish line and me walking my mount past Beechers on the first time around!

Despite the 'niggles' both are looking lush (as the younger element say around these parts)

Box on

Strickers

• Thanks 1

On 17/05/2022 at 23:12, HAMP man said:

Johnny getting up to Foinavon and heading for the finish line and me walking my mount past Beechers on the first time around!

Despite the 'niggles' both are looking lush (as the younger element say around these parts)

Box on

Strickers

Hey it’s Not a race. It’s all about the journey. As long as you’re having fun that’s all that matters. 😀 The kind words are much appreciated Mind. 🤗

Late night catch up. 🌛

I did the old pop and roll but I still wasn’t happy with the bubbles on that tail decal.

So I threw caution to the wind and hit it with a light sanding stick.

52083547609_1604b65db3_b.jpg

This got the little blighters. I had some matching paint so that was the next step.

A bit of hairy stick action and we’re away.

52083321791_c3a4fe7277_b.jpg

You can zoom in and see some little errors but in real life it’s loads better. 😇

I’ll gloss tomorrow.

While I was getting the bits ready for final construction I realised that the engine cover was missing. 😖😖😖

52083308951_3eb288ea43_b.jpg

Not anywhere. I checked the thread to see where last it was. But I couldn’t find it. Then a few pages in I saw this just after painting the internal green.

look in that right hand corner. It was in a little tin. 🤩

52082275022_2abd59b6fe_b.jpg

Now! Where’s the bloody tin?

It’s like one of those find the item games. 😖😵

52082275062_3da695f813_b.jpg

Can you see me? 

yes eventually I found it. Next to the fisherman. 😀

52083802500_db32970f44_b.jpg

Phew! Not painted so I really must have totally forgotten about it for a while.

At lest I have it. I had visions of having to make and print one for a minute.

Ok moving on. The Navy moth got gloss coated today with no decal issues to speak of which is good. Soo it looks like gentle mustang works with TS-13 😇

this evening after it had dried I got the Flory out. 

52083309416_faea71e038_b.jpg

only a light pass.

52083309076_2f35b44cdf_b.jpg

I don’t want these super grubby so I’ll knock it right back but this does look over the top at this stage.

52082274937_e3fc8109e7_b.jpg

After a good thirty minutes or so I hit it with a light cloth and cotton buds.

Much more like it. Just enough subtle marks to make it worth while.

52083326328_572b521226_b.jpg

The panels on the camo came out nicely too.

52083326293_6c9eb65cb5_b.jpg

I always worry about big serial decals as you can sometimes see the carrier film if you don’t cut around it but I think these ones worked out well. 😇

52082274912_0d5439b5bd_b.jpg

and top side. Just enough Flory in the lines and around the panels.

52083326418_51545be532_b.jpg

Now some help from the hive mind. 🐝🤖

While doing this I thought that maybe there should be black panels (walk lines)

on the lower wings. The scheme on the decal sheet doesn’t have them but they are there on the civilian offerings that come with the box. ideas? 

Any hoo that’s it for today. I is Pooped.

Thanks for dropping in.

Hope you’re all having a splendid week.

Happy modelling chums.

Johnny. 💛

• Like 18

Well done finding the tin Johnny - was it in the last place you looked? :D

Great Flory wash, as always. Great stuff.

• Haha 3

Excellent work on the washes, Johnny. I can't help on the wing walkways, but here's a shot of the Duxford Moth

Br0D0hW.jpg?1

James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is the lower port side walk area on a civie Tigger. Its not painted lines but a very thin rubber with a grippy type grit bonded into it. Exactly the same on the starboard side

TM%2022-M.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1