Camouflage and custard. Dual Tiger Moth Build. 1/48

20 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work going on there Johnny.

And the ever important "Brownie Points" too.

Simon.

They will have long since evaporated into the ether!

Cynical of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, hendie said:

such precision, and on pre-shading too.  I can't match that level of precision even when I mask things. All coming along very nicely Johnny

Oh . I’ve seen your painting and yes you can.  But thank you regardless. 

9 hours ago, Martian said:

Excellent progress Johnny. One thing though about those brownie points;our mutual friend Macbeth :oops:says that a chap's brownie points are some of the most ephemeral things in the universe and that there are particles in the Large Hadron Collider that have a longer shelf life than the ones he gets from Lady Macbeth.

Martian 👽

“H.P.O.S.P.M.M.A X2 “ 😆 Honestly my nose is killing me. 🤪👃🤏

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Well, that's me caught up on this one. Right from the start and without the aid of alcohol too!

Anti spin strakes, IIRC, legend has it that some Moths were fitted with bomb racks in case of invasion in 1940.

These apparently upset the airflow at certain angles and so the strakes were fitted to UK Military Moths, but not necessarily by other users.

As for the throttles. In that time period, French Aircraft throttles (I've read) worked the other way round (pull back to go faster).

So we can blame that French Fitter who joined up after coming over with the Dunkirk boys.

I see you managed to sneak in another Album title there. :laugh:

Anywhoo, Nice building and painting. I may hide behind the sofa while the rigging goes on, there could be naughty words about!

Thanks for the history lesson. I do love to learn about the aeroplanes I’m building. Makes it all the better In my mind. I’m not that worried about the rigging after my Handley page. This / these will be a walk in the park. 🤞

4 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

No legend. Operation Banquet.

My favourite part of that Wiki entry is:

😬

Thank you Heather. That was the best thing I’ve seen all day. Terrifying . 🫣

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work going on there Johnny.

And the ever important "Brownie Points" too.

Simon.

Thanks. You can never underestimate the Brownie point.

3 hours ago, Martian said:

They will have long since evaporated into the ether!

Cynical of Mars 👽

We shall see. 😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Miles ahead of me, two ready for paint? I've just brought the fuselage havles together and only building one!

Box on

Strickers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HAMP man said:

Miles ahead of me, two ready for paint? I've just brought the fuselage havles together and only building one!

Box on

Strickers

At your own pace dear boy. It’s not a race. I find modelling very therapeutic. As long as you’re having fun thus all that matters. Did the halves come together ok? 

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Ah, paint! :clap: 

Lovely pre-shading, Johnny - smart choice with the brown for the custard finish :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. Painting more today. 😍

• Like 1

As promised, paint! ☀️😍

There were still a few passes to get the custard where I wanted it. I’d say probably about five passes. I’ll go from start to end in three to show you how the layers built up.

pass one on the SAAF

52044598346_b43761a540_b.jpg 52044655363_4447701b8c_b.jpg

And now the Navy one.

52044596631_db148afaf0_b.jpg 52045110170_736a62ffab_b.jpg

Yellow never cuts through the underlying paint I’ve found so hitting it with many layers gets the subtlety you need but it also shows that you need a god base colour. If I’d have used black I would have gone full bruised banana. 🍌

SAAF pass three

52044849529_77dbf1b9c8_b.jpg

Navy pass three.

52044851124_3fd797819e_b.jpg

You can see how the colour of the base coat still shows even now.

SAAF pass five or maybe six. 🤪

52044598301_711202c8b8_b.jpg 52043552262_493bafd091_b.jpg 52043552242_5feed003a8_b.jpg

Navy.

52044849524_9d4a8aebf7_b.jpg 52044849509_942ddfeab6_b.jpg

That is where I’m leaving it. I know some don’t like pre shade but for me it’s something that makes me happy so I’m sticking with it. 😀

Quick check in the day light to make sure.

SAAF

52044596626_3d21b3606b_b.jpg

Navy

52044851119_86727677eb_b.jpg

🤩🤩🤩 super happy with the Tamiya acrylics they have gone on really well.

i need to let that dry even though they are dry to touch I’ve learned that rushing into gloss will cause splitting.

So maybe I’ll work on Dewie later on? 🤔

I have made a few purchases to help with my victory build too so maybe a lazy Bank holiday read?

52043554042_d21400b1ff_b.jpg

Hope you’re all having a splendid day.

Take care and as always.

Happy modelling.

Johnny. 

• Like 22

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Skillful painting on display here, Johnny! :clap: :clap: 

Ciao

Wot he said.  Restrained and subtle.

Two words I don't have lying around at my bench. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

At your own pace dear boy. It’s not a race. I find modelling very therapeutic. As long as you’re having fun thus all that matters. Did the halves come together ok?

There's the tortoise, the hare, and an alpine glacier, (me). Earned loadsa brownies over the weekend so today was a cave-man-cave day. The halves mated very well added a few grebblies and the elevators, so good progress ... for me. I have a P40 on the go and got distracted by an Airfix Gnat, which now has dayglow bits. (Goldfish attention span) Will post some tigger photos laters. Oh and I am defo nicking the custard technique, top tip!

Box on 

Strickers 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Skillful painting on display here, Johnny! :clap: :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. It’s a bit of a struggle not to plough on but I know what will happen if I rush. Luckily I have my one build. 😇

7 hours ago, hendie said:

Wot he said.  Restrained and subtle.

Two words I don't have lying around at my bench. :D

Yeah right. Your work is always amazing, you ain’t foolin’ any one. 🤩 Thanks for the compliment though. After watching you lot having fun in printer Land I’ve decided to ping pong between my two builds. Soo guess who’s back. 🤩 

6 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Custard is looking quite appetising Johnny.

As for the books, I remember the books on the ships being in the shops.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. Those books are a bit tough to get hold of but I managed to get a crafty purchase on eBay. The larger Nelson book I got for a bargain. I wasn’t sure what condition but it was really good when it arrived with all the fold outs intact. 🤩

6 hours ago, HAMP man said:

There's the tortoise, the hare, and an alpine glacier, (me). Earned loadsa brownies over the weekend so today was a cave-man-cave day. The halves mated very well added a few grebblies and the elevators, so good progress ... for me. I have a P40 on the go and got distracted by an Airfix Gnat, which now has dayglow bits. (Goldfish attention span) Will post some tigger photos laters. Oh and I am defo nicking the custard technique, top tip!

Box on 

Strickers 

We’ll all progress is good progress. 😀 seems like you have your hands full with all those builds going on. 👏👏😇🤩 Amazing! 

While the paint dries I have decided to go over to the dark side (Sci-Fi) and carry on with my Silent Running 3D scratch build.

He’s been waiting patiently while I finished the hind and now the moths do I figured I could neglect him no longer.

52045057362_a0a499dafb_b.jpg

come and have a nose if you feel the urge.

it’s HERE

Thanks for all the kind comments. 

Hope you’ve all at least got some modelling in over the long weekend (uk) and regular weekend everywhere else. 🙃

Take care and happy modelling.

Johnny

• Like 6

Having trouble with imgur, not wanting to upload my photos but here are a few to show that I have indeed mated right with left :) 

spacer.png

and to the right

spacer.png

Whey hey I think I've found out how to do it a bit quicker

spacer.png

and finally

spacer.png

Had a bit of a sprint and added the port engine bearer out a square section Slaters the tailplane and posed the rudder slightly off centre. 

Back to work tomoz so bench time will be limited

But as always

Box on

Strickers

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 03/05/2022 at 00:09, HAMP man said:

Having trouble with imgur, not wanting to upload my photos but here are a few to show that I have indeed mated right with left :) 

spacer.png

and to the right

spacer.png

Whey hey I think I've found out how to do it a bit quicker

spacer.png

and finally

spacer.png

Had a bit of a sprint and added the port engine bearer out a square section Slaters the tailplane and posed the rudder slightly off centre. 

Back to work tomoz so bench time will be limited

But as always

Box on

Strickers

Lookin’ reet grand. Bravo that man. I see you’ve added extra bits on and around the fire wall too. Nice.

On 03/05/2022 at 09:18, Fritag said:

Always a pleasure watching the painting stages of your builds Johnny - a peek at an artist at work.

Thankyou. Far too kind. 🤗

Moving back to the moths after a bit of sci-fi action. 🤗

I top coated the custard and started getting the decals on.

52061326272_541ff66720_b.jpg

Micro sol seemed to work well with the Extradecal set.

Not many ones to put on really.

52062388793_aa7c2c814f_b.jpg

And the other side. Now the other side got an extra bit of micro sol to stop the silvering on the serials. BIG mistake. You really don’t want to put too much on these as they are super soft.

I left them to dry but they just curled up. Nightmare. 😫 I used tweezers to straighten it out alas. The five was knackered.

52062388728_17fa6bccd5_b.jpg

Spare decal box to the rescue!!!

a bit of an old invasion stripe and fixed. 😀 it’s still a bit bent but if you didn’t know. So. You know. 🤫

52062600949_ec7352b581_b.jpg

The last two roundels got added too.

52062600984_035c31d0e2_b.jpg

Phew! Now onto the next one. Masking.

52061326282_062f59b78d_b.jpg

And the top wing.

52062388803_70a92c656c_b.jpg

Freehand brown. Rather nice name that, sound like a history teacher. 🤓 

pass one.

52062600979_40fa67b596_b.jpg

And pass two.

52062388908_928bf2d354_b.jpg

Goes on a lot better than the yellow. 😇

That all needs to dry now before I deploy the blue worms. 😆💙

More soon.

Thanks for dropping by.

Happy modelling chums. 🤗

Johnny

• Like 26

You're now into the bit that I provaricate about. I am considering the light brown/light green shadow colours for the bottom wings, but that seems a long off at the mo. Nice update, the preshading on Custard works really well, anticipating similar results for Cam O'Flage.

Box on

Strickers

• Thanks 1

Wow, that custard Moth is looking ace! Just the right amount of pre-shading showing through, and just the right hue! :clap:  :clap: 

The camo one looks very promising too! :thumbsup2:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

On 03/05/2022 at 09:18, Fritag said:

Always a pleasure watching the painting stages of your builds Johnny - a peek at an artist at work.

What our learned friend says Johnny, an artist.

I have never been much of a preshader but wow, when this is how it ends.

W O W !

• Thanks 1

Good save on the No5 Johnny! I think it looks better for it? One of my little bug bears is that aircraft ID numbers and letters are often hand painted on, and not perfect at all. Some transfers are just too good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Good save on the No5 Johnny! I think it looks better for it? One of my little bug bears is that aircraft ID numbers and letters are often hand painted on, and not perfect at all. Some transfers are just too good.

Thanks. And yes, yes that’s exactly what I was going for. 👀😝painted on and not too straight. 🤗

11 hours ago, 81-er said:

Very nice work there, Johnny, both on the paint and the decals.

James

Thank you kind sir.

12 hours ago, perdu said:

What our learned friend says Johnny, an artist.

I have never been much of a preshader but wow, when this is how it ends.

W O W !

Glad you like it Bill. I’m considering less Flory on these also. What’s happening to me. 🤔

13 hours ago, giemme said:

Wow, that custard Moth is looking ace! Just the right amount of pre-shading showing through, and just the right hue! :clap:  :clap: 

The camo one looks very promising too! :thumbsup2:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. I do like the Custard too. If you wanna see how the other one turned out read on.

😃

• Like 2

Good evening everyone. Worms at the ready.🪱🐛 and making complete.

52064633086_5ff4fb6b0a_b.jpg

Time to get the green crayons out. 💚

This is only two passes. The colour went down really well.

52064648948_b634fdaee0_b.jpg

As always I’m not sure that the contrast  will be as good as I want it to be. I really need to let that dry but maybe a sneak peak.

52064648908_ac46f0a60e_b.jpg

🤩🤩🤩 wonderful. 🤗🤗🤗💚💚💚

putting the booth away and leaving it to dry was the sensible option. But who likes sensible?? 🤫🫣😆

Unmasked!!!!! 😷👺🤿🎭

52064648918_3344e2a307_b.jpg

🤩🤩Really happy with that. 😀

And the contrast between the custard and camouflage works for me too.

52064633066_518182f648_b.jpg

“Time to dry”. 🙃.  (Sorry)

Top coat and decals next. 🤩

Thanks for dropping by.  Hope you like the colouring in. 

Happy modelling chums.

Johnny.

• Like 22

On 5/2/2022 at 12:38 PM, The Spadgent said:

I know some don’t like pre shade but for me it’s something that makes me happy so I’m sticking with it.

It's your model and your hobby, do what makes you happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1