Camouflage and custard. Dual Tiger Moth Build. 1/48

1 minute ago, The Spadgent said:

This is Nick Mason of Pink Floyd.

In the words of the peasant that watches Brian escape from the spaceship that crashed into the tower in The Life Of... 'you lucky ba........'

Last gig I went to I was playing in, the band was 'mature' Covid reeks its toll again.

I did surprise the build earlier and managed a bit of IP action, together with bit and bobs from other 'on the goers'.

Box on

Strickers

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HAMP man said:

In the words of the peasant that watches Brian escape from the spaceship that crashed into the tower in The Life Of... 'you lucky ba........'

Last gig I went to I was playing in, the band was 'mature' Covid reeks its toll again.

I did surprise the build earlier and managed a bit of IP action, together with bit and bobs from other 'on the goers'.

Box on

Strickers

Wow! Cool, I wish I could play an instrument or sing or anything really. That would be soo ace.  Looks like I’ve woken the Modelling Demon in you. 😈

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice going Johnny, modelling and gigging to.

Not a bad gig as well, we have him down our way soon, I think.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Thanks. Deffo go and see them. If you’rea floyd they’re a real treat. 

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice work Johnney, the engine is looking good .

Chris

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, HAMP man said:

spacer.pngHello Johnny,

A little IP action tonight, slow but steady

spacer.png

qqyl5Ki.jpg

and one other

spacer.png

Cor! They look something special. 👏👏👏

• Like 2

Good evening everyone. Not much of an update, more of a (patch) if you’re that way inclined. 😉

The cowl step being an issue pointed out by @galgos Has been sorted.

I managed to prise the offending item off and Pat back the inner section of the cowl allowing for a more snug fit.

52032669599_15a9cc9748_b.jpg

Step be gone.🪜💥😇 A little tidy up but I hope that’s better for you. Now for some sleep.

😴

Johnny. 

• Like 15

Great to see these T Moths coming together.... Hampman's too. I'm taking notes. On the cowl-top step too, sorry for suggesting otherwise on that issue. Engines look good from the box esp with a little bit of your magic thrown in. I've been researching private owners /civil versions - so many to choose from 😍😮 I remember seeing a hanger full of these at Newtownards aerodrome when I was a lad , de-winged and stacked, seemed like dozens of them. Probably slated for scrap or spares 😦

• Like 2

On 27/04/2022 at 07:48, galgos said:

Smmmooooottthhhh……..much better!

Max 

Thank you kind sir. 🤩

On 27/04/2022 at 15:13, giemme said:

:clap: :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks G.

On 27/04/2022 at 18:35, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent to see no step now

Chris

Phew! 😊

On 28/04/2022 at 23:55, rob Lyttle said:

Great to see these T Moths coming together.... Hampman's too. I'm taking notes. On the cowl-top step too, sorry for suggesting otherwise on that issue. Engines look good from the box esp with a little bit of your magic thrown in. I've been researching private owners /civil versions - so many to choose from 😍😮 I remember seeing a hanger full of these at Newtownards aerodrome when I was a lad , de-winged and stacked, seemed like dozens of them. Probably slated for scrap or spares 😦

Thanks, and no worries about the step-gate. Tis all sorted now. Sad to hear about the stack of moths, I guess it’s the way of things. 😔

Good evening good fellow modellers.

A Rare spare bit of time at the bench has moved these forward to the point of paint. (Steady @giemme) 😅

Both open and closed cowls got glued. A bit of a pain actually as they are really hard to hold in place. Burna clips came in handy. I know it’sa peg in the pic. I had to re glue after the peg forced it to glue in the wrong position. For such a well engineered kit this section seems really vague in the fitting department which is a bit of a shame really.

52040948008_134de930b2_b.jpg

Regardless we got there in the end. 😇

undercarriage parts need cleaning up.

52040896546_9982128df5_b.jpg

As do the struts and actuators.

52040948318_82a67b1cd1_b.jpg

All these got done X2 and after some tricky masking.

52039855182_09da26ff27_b.jpg

I think we’re ready for some primer.

52041149024_8acfd30022_b.jpg

The surfaces aren’t too bad. A few bits of sanding here and there but overall I’m happy. Here’sa dead one. @CedB we miss you. 🥲

52041149224_36909648a6_b.jpg

and here’s an Alive one.

52041149394_d7601869f2_b.jpg

And all the bits X2

52041149114_79094329a4_b.jpg

Not realised how anal I am but looking at this pic I’ve put all the bits in the same order on both builds. What’s wrong with me. 🤪🤓

That got left to dry which gives me five seconds to show you the shelves I built, all working and not at all falling off the wall. 😇

52040948333_4490e051d2_b.jpg

Saving up my brownie points for bench time. 🥳🤩🧐

Right then all dry and I’ve decided to glue the actuators and handle things.

52039854822_a79aaa7508_b.jpg

These won’t interfere with any decals and are painted the same as the underside on both birds so fingers crossed I’ll not hit any snags. 🤞

The under carriage can be added to the yellow one as the colours are all the same. The camo one will have to wait as the painting will be easier apart. So on with one set, rear.

52039854747_52baba4213_b.jpg

and front.

52040896531_fd70afd68b_b.jpg

After the initial bonding I decided to let them dry the right way up to help them settle straight.

52040896866_ea178f990f_b.jpg

Nice! 😇🤩 and that’s it for today. All parts are primed. Well almost all. Soo the next steps will be pre shade then paint.

❤️❤️❤️ Can’t wait.

Thanks for the help with these builds it’s been invaluable. Ooh before I go. I need some help from the hive.

What prop do I use? You have a choice of three. 

52041407855_aac3506950_b.jpg

so if I’m doing a 1943 and 1945 aeroplane what do I choose: Top, middle or bottom?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy modelling chums.

Hope you’re all having a lovely weekend.

Johnny. 😃

• Like 22

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Right then all dry and I’ve decided to glue the actuators and handle things.

You're braver, or more careful than I am - no doubt I'd find a way to ping those off into Neverland if I attached them this early.  Both are coming along very nicely though, I'm looking forward to when you start painting.

By the way, the shelves look great too, I've not seen that particular way of doing a floating shelf before and it looks very nice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Part 10 looks about right, the props are typically 78 inches in diameter. If I could do sums (which I can’t) I’d tell you what that is in 1/48 scale! How accurate do you want your Tiger Moth to be?  That “handle thing” underneath the fuselage should be “L” shaped, it’s part of the mechanism for the aileron control……I can post a picture if you wish.

Max 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mark.au said:

You're braver, or more careful than I am - no doubt I'd find a way to ping those off into Neverland if I attached them this early.  Both are coming along very nicely though, I'm looking forward to when you start painting.

By the way, the shelves look great too, I've not seen that particular way of doing a floating shelf before and it looks very nice.

Thanks. Those little bits are actually really quite sturdy so I think they’ll be ok.  As for the shelves it’s just a bracket. The plants were old scaff board that I cut to shape, sanded, stained and waxed. But Thankyou. 😀

25 minutes ago, galgos said:

Part 10 looks about right, the props are typically 78 inches in diameter. If I could do sums (which I can’t) I’d tell you what that is in 1/48 scale! How accurate do you want your Tiger Moth to be?  That “handle thing” underneath the fuselage should be “L” shaped, it’s part of the mechanism for the aileron control……I can post a picture if you wish.

Max 

Thanks. Part 10 it shall be. As for the L shaped thing. If you would pop a pic on I’ll see if it’s too much of a faff. I might just leave it but if it’s doable I could give it a snip. 😇

Johnny

• Like 2

Hi Johnny   I think Max is right re the prop (he really does know a great deal re these and has been very helpful to me when building my 32nd scale Tiggie), I have a prop from a wartime Tiggie in my lounge and the shape of number 10 is good.  

I presume it was rubbed down and varnished by SWMBO'S step Grandad as he was Glider Pilot Trainer in Tiggies during WW2 and was based out in the far East at the end of the war and brought this prop back in his cases when he came home (it was cut into 3 pieces) .  I feel very privileged to receive this.  

spacer.png

Great work on the Tiggies so far.

Chris

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Johnny   I think Max is right re the prop (he really does know a great deal re these and has been very helpful to me when building my 32nd scale Tiggie), I have a prop from a wartime Tiggie in my lounge and the shape of number 10 is good.  

I presume it was rubbed down and varnished by SWMBO'S step Grandad as he was Glider Pilot Trainer in Tiggies during WW2 and was based out in the far East at the end of the war and brought this prop back in his cases when he came home (it was cut into 3 pieces) .  I feel very privileged to receive this.  

spacer.png

Great work on the Tiggies so far.

Chris

Thanks. Wow! What a real privilege to have that prop. Wonderful story too. Thanks for the great reference. 😀

9 minutes ago, galgos said:

Thanks Chris! 😘

Here's the under fuselage detail:

6LLqTu.jpg

The lateral wires control the aileron movement.

HTH Max

Ahhh ok I see it now. Hmmm I might do something cunning but I think the part might be a bit too flimsy to cut. Maybe different colours? It’ll look good when I get the rigging on. Thanks for the awesome reference. 😀

Johnny

• Like 1

Afternoon! A bit of under colour before I head off to a friends party. Thinking back to my second build on here I think. With @TheBaron we did a twin meteor build. The underside (Yellow) went a little….. let’s say bruised banana. So I found that using Brown to pre shade rather than black for custard items works a lot better. 💛

So with that said.

The pre shade for the SAAF Moth. (Custard)

52042546460_de5fdbc2fb_b.jpg

And a dead one. 🪰

52040990997_c2a4758312_b.jpg

and the varied bits and bobs.

52042287954_f75273c365_b.jpg

And here we have the Royal Navy one. (Camouflage)

52042037036_11892b4b71_b.jpg

Yellow undersides.

52042037021_4fe588ca39_b.jpg

And the slightly different bits and bobs.

52042087513_913c65a824_b.jpg

The little bits seem sturdy enough. So that’s a relief. 😮💨

Nothing more today as I foresee alcohol in my future. Maybe the typically damp Bank holiday Monday will bear fruit?

Take care kids.

Johnny

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Excellent progress Johnny. One thing though about those brownie points;our mutual friend Macbeth :oops:says that a chap's brownie points are some of the most ephemeral things in the universe and that there are particles in the Large Hadron Collider that have a longer shelf life than the ones he gets from Lady Macbeth.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

Well, that's me caught up on this one. Right from the start and without the aid of alcohol too!

Anti spin strakes, IIRC, legend has it that some Moths were fitted with bomb racks in case of invasion in 1940.

These apparently upset the airflow at certain angles and so the strakes were fitted to UK Military Moths, but not necessarily by other users.

As for the throttles. In that time period, French Aircraft throttles (I've read) worked the other way round (pull back to go faster).

So we can blame that French Fitter who joined up after coming over with the Dunkirk boys.

18 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

and not at all falling off the wall

I see you managed to sneak in another Album title there. :laugh:

Anywhoo, Nice building and painting. I may hide behind the sofa while the rigging goes on, there could be naughty words about!

• Thanks 1

No legend. Operation Banquet.

My favourite part of that Wiki entry is:

With no dummy bombs available early in 1940, training exercises were carried out with the aircraft flown from the front cockpit by instructors and house bricks were thrown over the side from the rear cockpit. It was discovered that the bricks fell slower than a diving Tiger Moth and instructions were given to throw the bricks forcefully away from the aircraft.

😬

• Like 6
  • Haha 1