Fine moulds F4

Jason

Hi All

I want to build a US Navy F4 from the late 60s early 70s era. I've been looking around and come across the finemoulds issue that's not cheap. Has anyone got this kit and ist it any good ? 

I have built the Finemold kit twice, in different versions, but the base is the same. I found it a very enjoyable experience and I would reccomend this kit. It is a bit pricey though, like you said. If that is an issue, I have seen people do good jobs with the old Esci, now Italeri kit. The Hasegawa ones are nice too, but a bit fiddly, just as pricey as the Finemolds ones, and not as detailed and finely molded.

My Finemolds F-4C and F-4EJ:

ps1bCKW.jpg

• Like 7

Somewhere in Rumourmonger there is a long thread about the Finemolds F4 (somebody more skilful than me with the search facility will help I'm sure.)

It's a lovely kit (3 made) and goes together very well. From the current boxing you can make a USN J but no B/N or S so far. If you order direct from Japan it's not too expensive for what you get.

As Creepy Pete said, the Esci/Italeri one can be made into a good model and can be found for £10-£15 and is essentially a J, Hasegawa did the B/N and J. Fujimi also did a B and a J in 1/72 which are similar to the Esci one.

• Like 1

Wild horse, and maybe less expensive: Academy F-4J.

FineMolds F-4 kits I usually get from PlazaJapan, or  HobbyLinkJapan (HLJ).  HLJ do offer a private warehouse deferred shipping option for up to 90 days which could save costs as well, but generally even 2-3 kits is enough to get the price very competitive (and that is with customs & tax).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, iainpeden said:

Somewhere in Rumourmonger there is a long thread about the Finemolds F4 (somebody more skilful than me with the search facility will help I'm sure.)

This is the thread - although there is another long thread which might be of interest on the Finemolds v Hasegawa "long-nosed versions"

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

Kit 03941? That's far from new - it's a reissue of the 1985 Monogram kit.

Other than the raised panel lines that turn many away, this is still quite an exellent kit. Will be interesting to see if Revell reissues the C/D version from the same family, as it would likely be an affordable alternative in a market where the Hasegawa C/D has long been difficult to obtain (even with Hobby 2000's reissue) and the Fine Molds, beautiful as it is, exceeds the budget of many.

• Like 1

I have the Finemolds 1/72 scale F-4J kit. It is very nice. However it doesn't come with weapons just like with the Hasegawa Phantom kits. FM produces a separate AA missiles set. I have that one too.

Well that one is hit and miss. The AIM-9Bs are very nice. The E version is horribly wrong, the G (which is needed for the F-4J) is a fantasy form and the P/J has wrong rear fins. I made a comparison with Hasegawa , Academy and Revell AIM-9s on the German site Flugzeugforum. It's in German but the pictures tell a lot already:

FM AIM-9 comparison

The AIM-7s are not bad and the inner and outer F-4 weapons pylons (both NAVY and USAF versions of both) which come with it are utmost excellent.

Cheers

Michael

I’m building two FM F-4 at the moment and they are much better designed as models than the Hasegawa. If you want bombs the FM bomb set gives you the right pylons as well as decals for those yellow bands. And a lot of bombs. As others have said direct from Japan to UK is quick and cheap. You’d need a lot of them to trigger customs if you use post. Couriers seem to think there’s a lower threshold. 

Chris