1/72 - Cessna 150 & 152 3D printed kit by VFR Models - released

Homebee

VFR Models is to release 1/72nd Cessna 150 & 152 3D printed kits. Design in progress.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/vfrmodels/posts/368524901852317

Yet more prototypes, this time a triple bill. I have long wanted to "do" the Cessna 152 and 150. The 152 was a very stable design for its short production life, but the 150 changed a lot. So I'm planning 2 kits, a 152 and a somewhat modular 150 kit that will allow (almost) all variations including the early razorback fuselage. 3 prototypes here, a 152, a mid production 150, and an early 150. Baby Cessna evolution...

277764643-368524658519008-56115546996248

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

This is excellent news. I foresee a lot of present and past pilots wanting to build their first solo machine and being able to. 

On 4/7/2022 at 4:27 PM, Smokeyr67 said:

They look great, but in the tradition of modelling forums I’m going to have to say - “can they be scaled up to 1/32 or even better 1/24?”

I'll take the alternate tack: how about a Piper Tomahawk?

• Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Cessna 150 & 152 3D printed kit by VFR Models - test models+schemes
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Cessna 150 & 152 3D printed kit by VFR Models - 152 released
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Cessna 150 & 152 3D printed kit by VFR Models - released
  • 2 months later...

Despite some initial reservations regarding the vac form canopies, I've decided to order a couple of kits from VFR and give them a go.

I've never made anything from 3-D printing before either, so this will be interesting :unsure: 

My guess is that the 3D printing will be a pleasant surprise. It has been for me with the Blackburn Blackburn, the Kawasaki P-1, and the 1/700 HMS implacable kits I have acquired. The vac form canopies (especially those side windows) will be as difficult to do neatly as always. If it must be vacform then the whole windowed area needs to be one piece. Some manufacturers are having great success with cleat cast resin but I don’t think printing with clear resin has been done successfully. Tends to come out more like that frosted glass they use in shower enclosures rather than something a pilot could actually see through. Hope I’m wrong about the vacform as those VFR’s look like great little kits that fill a yawning gap in the marketplace.