Aer Lingus Greens (all of them)

Hi all, most excited I recently won a BAC 1-11 (almost seems a shame to build, its the original 64 version, with the clear stand, how I miss those) and the 26 decals turned up today.

After watching @RCI awesome videos, I thought I might have a go at doing clear windows (either the clear parts or the resin, first time for either)

So I think I need to paint all the colours,  I know xtracolor do the top green colour (is there an acrylic version?), but does anyone know what the other 2 are?

Thanks for any help
Lee

spacer.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mouse808 said:

Hi all, most excited I recently won a BAC 1-11 (almost seems a shame to build, its the original 64 version, with the clear stand, how I miss those) and the 26 decals turned up today.

After watching @RCI awesome videos, I thought I might have a go at doing clear windows (either the clear parts or the resin, first time for either)

So I think I need to paint all the colours,  I know xtracolor do the top green colour (is there an acrylic version?), but does anyone know what the other 2 are?

Thanks for any help
Lee

thanks for watching the videos :D if help is needed with the clear windows, just contact me! happy to help

all the best and by the way, excellent choice of a model!

Xtracolor did all of those greens but they never produced their airliner paint range in the Xtracrylic form - which is a real pity.

If you are planning on using the Airfix kit, you will need to make a few modifications to turn it into the versions Aer Lingus used. The kit came out when the 1-11 was still being tested and it features the original blunt nose. Production 1-11s had a more pointed nose (as in the picture). 2-6 do a resin conversion.

Other areas that need modification are the positioning of the wing fences and the adding of an APU exhaust on top of the tail cone. 

Hi Eric, thanks I never knew. Looks like that nose is unavailable at the mo and probably way past my skill point.

Also  X307 doesn't seem to be for sale anymore.

So as I doubt I'll get perfect here. What about X28 park greenX-14 Sky blue and XF-61 Dark green.

I found this fun tool, you can upload an image to it and click around the colors
https://www.spotmodel.com/color_finder.php
Alas the whole colour matching thing is a nightmare with monitor calibration/gamut etc...

Hi 

28 minutes ago, mouse808 said:

Hi Eric, thanks I never knew. Looks like that nose is unavailable at the mo and probably way past my skill point.

Also  X307 doesn't seem to be for sale anymore.

So as I doubt I'll get perfect here. What about X28 park greenX-14 Sky blue and XF-61 Dark green.

I found this fun tool, you can upload an image to it and click around the colors
https://www.spotmodel.com/color_finder.php
Alas the whole colour matching thing is a nightmare with monitor calibration/gamut etc...

Hi Lee,

I asked one of the lads in our club and his advice was (looking from top down)

Light green roof -  80/90s scheme was Xtra colour X307. Would Humbrol Emerald Green be a close match?

Blue - this seemed to be included on decal sheets – Decal Liveries Unlimited, Master Decals (US) and Max Decals all used to do Aer Lingus sheets but these might be OOP now, sorry..

Green - Humbrol Brunswick Green.

White - Gloss white

Grey - X301 “Boeing Grey” .

For the current Aer Lingus scheme, the green is Xtra X311 and white.

I'd say try some colours on plasticard or a spare kit before you commit to your build.

All the best,
Dermot

• Like 1