M41 Walker Bulldog-Ending at last!

Okay folks, I've got another little update.   I've entered the "home stretch" at last, slowly knocking things off the need to do list!   I believe the hull is basically done, excepting the driver's vision ports.  I'd like to fill those openings with tinted Micro Krystal Klear, tinted dark blue.   I experimented a bit by adding some Vallejo blue acrylic to the KK, but it wasn't dark enough for me and I had no black acrylic to add for darkening.  I'll look into the supermarket's food coloring selection and see what they have.   The biggest problem here is just getting to those ports for the filling; maybe should've planned that a bit better.  Cleaning up any mess there may be kinda "ticklish".    I see a few spots in the close ups that need paint touch up too (oh, those headlights and the lone tail-light! :shocked:), so that's on the plate for the next bench session.

I've taken a few pics that show the stowage items, just sort of mocked-up at the moment (taped on in a couple places).  Everything will get a tie-down strap or rope for attachment.  I've got painted Tamiya tape, lead foil strips and some webbing straps made from doubled painter's masking tape to use for that,  along with several sizes of "rope" made from sewing threaddepending on the location and need.   There are a lot of ammo cans that will placed behind then piece of traffic barrier pressed into service.    I believe I'm done with the rope seen on front but may find some touching up needed there too.  

Oh yeah, I've also inquired at Kings Hobby in Austin about finding a figure painter to "sub-out" that work on the two crew figures.   I know that I can't do them justice and feel like my amateurish efforts would really detract from the overall look of the model.    Maybe that is cheating a little but I'm planning on giving the credit where it's due! ;)

Here are a few cellphone pics showing some progress at last, sitting atop one of my display cabinets.   Thanks for your interest and your patience; we're slowly getting there!  :D

incline_base_and_Bulldog_hull.jpg

hull_on_incline.jpg

rear_from_port.jpeg

9368AE88-9075-4FC3-A50C-DD0281C89359_1_1

SB_side_view_better.jpg

rear_w_flash.jpeg

front_okay.jpeg

glacis_close_w_ammo_cans.jpeg

front_SB_turret_turned.jpeg

Edited by Gary Brantley
additional photos
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looking good!

Many thanks Phil!   🍻

1 hour ago, Farmerboy said:

Good to see you back in action Gary, she is sure looking good!

And muchas gracias to you too, my friend! :worthy:  Almost there..."I can smell the water now!"  :)

1 hour ago, Farmerboy said:

Just thinking…….are you going to make a base for it? Or am l pushing it a bit😉

No, not pushing a bit but on the right track indeed. :D I am planning a base for it; something a bit different from my airport tarmac.    The primary inspirations for this tank were photos of ARVN M41s in the Cholon section of Saigon, circa the Tet Offensive of Jan.-Feb. 1968.    I want a base that looks like a paved street, strewn with a little rubble.     That's really uncharted waters for this old modeler!    Not really sure how I'll start it, but I should be planning that now I guess.   Perhaps, YouTube will be a good resource...:)

I have a spot here in our small town Cameron picked out that should look fairly appropriate for the background.  It's an old, abandoned granary with lot's of broken windows, towers, catwalks, etc.    It's located alongside a railroad track in an old part of town.  We'll see how that looks when we get there.   I may need an alternate location if that doesn't work out.

Please wish me luck with the base!  I'm sure I'm gonna need it. 😁

• Like 1

After looking at your latest pictures, i must say that i am amazed! The model is standing on a cabinet and that the only way i can tell that it's a model! It looks so real. 

You did a great job so far! The tank looks "heavy" and all the details add to that. The stowage, the rust, the weathering, even the "crewmade" improvements are just so well done.

You really did the model justice.

The fact that you want to outsource the figure painting is not cheating to me. It just shows how much you care and knowing ones limitations is just as important as knowing ones strenghts.

Can't wait to see this model finished. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

After looking at your latest pictures, i must say that i am amazed! The model is standing on a cabinet and that the only way i can tell that it's a model! It looks so real. 

You did a great job so far! The tank looks "heavy" and all the details add to that. The stowage, the rust, the weathering, even the "crewmade" improvements are just so well done.

You really did the model justice.

The fact that you want to outsource the figure painting is not cheating to me. It just shows how much you care and knowing ones limitations is just as important as knowing ones strenghts.

Can't wait to see this model finished. 

@Maddoxx77, What a great comment to wake up to this morning!  :worthy: Thank you so much for the encouraging words!   I hope I can get her across the finish line without any major drama.   I'm ready to start another tank soon.   I really appreciate the generous compliments, coming from a skilled armor modeler makes them even better!.    I'm glad you had a look and thanks for your continuing interest Maddoxx!  🍻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

@Maddoxx77, What a great comment to wake up to this morning!  :worthy: Thank you so much for the encouraging words!   I hope I can get her across the finish line without any major drama.   I'm ready to start another tank soon.   I really appreciate the generous compliments, coming from a skilled armor modeler makes them even better!.    I'm glad you had a look and thanks for your continuing interest Maddoxx!  🍻

Always a pleasure. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Michael_55 said:

It looks really cool.

I've never made an M41.

It has been added to my wish list.👍

Thanks a lot @Michael_55:D  I'm glad you like it, and hope you do pick one up soon.   🍺 I'm looking forward to seeing more Bulldogs; they just have a "rakish" somewhat sporty look about them that has always appealed to me.    I very much appreciate the comments!  :worthy:

• 2 months later...

Well friends, at long last, the finish line approaches for my tank. I've been futzing about with the two figures for a while and have decided they aren't getting any better. 😄 Yesterday, I put some final touches and details on them (well almost final... 😉 ) and put them on the tank for the first time since they were painted and modified. I believe the tank itself is finished and once I get the base for it done, it's off to the photo session location. I also plan to post some light-box photos too, for the first time. I'm waiting for some assistance from my dear friend and amazing photographer Richard Krall and of course, getting a suitable base done. Until then, I wanted to post this, just to prove that yes, I actually did get one finished after about a year!  Next up will be an article in RFI when all the picture-taking is done.

Thank you all for following along, and for all your support, suggestions and advice!   It is much appreciated here! 🍻  :D

Yesterday, I turned around and there sat a Bulldog on my kitchen table! Hey Bulldog!

Bulldog_on_the_table_2.24.23.heic

port_1.jpeg

port_rear.jpeg

This is going to be the location for the outdoor photos.   I'm thinking (hoping? 🙂) it may pass for something found around Saigon's Cholon section circa '68-'69.

location_pic_1.jpeg

location_pic_2.jpeg

Edited by Gary Brantley
added pics
  • Like 6

• Gary Brantley changed the title to M41 Walker Bulldog-Ending at last!

That’s been worth waiting for! Looks fantastic and the figures are really good, l know you weren’t confident about painting them but you have really cracked it with them. Looking forward to seeing it in RFI. 
cheers, 

FB.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stef N. said:

A cracking job you've done on that. All the painting, weathering and detailing work a treat. I look forward to it coming together with its base.👏👍

Thanks Stef @Stef N.!     I'm looking forward to that point as well!  :D

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

You've done a great job on that Gary. The weathering is first class. Nice one.

John.

Much appreciated John @Bullbasket!    Thanks for the wonderful comments!  🍻

4 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Gary,

In spite of everything, in a nice result of a very "cool" tank, I also made one of these in my other stage, when I was a kid.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Hey Francis, thanks very much!     It's been a long slog but finally close to done. :)

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 4:32 AM, Maddoxx77 said:

This looks great Gary! You've done a cracking job with all those details and the figures really tie the whole scene together. 

Thanks Maddox @Maddoxx77!    I sure appreciate your generous compliments!  🥃  I agree that it looks better with those guys aboard, just don't look too closely.  :whistle::D

On 2/25/2023 at 4:42 AM, Farmerboy said:

That’s been worth waiting for! Looks fantastic and the figures are really good, l know you weren’t confident about painting them but you have really cracked it with them. Looking forward to seeing it in RFI. 
cheers, 

FB.

I am so happy to read your comments, my friend!  :D Thanks so much!  🍻  I've got a lil' bit of "touch up" stuff to do with them but overall, they're not too bad.  I'll really feel good when she's ready for RFI!   

(edited)_port_front_sunset_2_garyB0071.A

Edited by Gary Brantley
added pics