M41 Walker Bulldog-Ending at last!

Okay friends,  I've just a bit more progress to report.   One of the things that are prominent in the pics of the tank's front are the supports for the opened driver's hatch.    My walkaround book has plenty of good photos of them and they do play an important role, so I added some on my model from stretched sprue and brass angle.   Obvious too in many "in use" pics are the bent headlight guards.   It's easy to see how they would get some rough treatment and the pics encouraged me to modify the kit parts.   Early on in this project, I had considered trashing the kit parts and building my own guards.   When I worked in a sheet metal shop, many years ago, I sheared some pieces into very thin strips and have used the frequently over the years for scratch-building.    

I should've used them to fabricate my own light guards as I considered, but chose the kit parts to save time.  Well, I also should've "bent up" the kit parts before gluing them to the hull, but I didn't and it was a challenge (not that successfully met either) to bend them at all.   In the end, I used am electric soldering iron, held close, to soften the plastic.   Too close on the starboard side as I melted away the inboard upright.   I was able to replace that with a bit of the sheetmetal strip mentioned above.   It looks much better to me, and more in scale than the plastic parts...shoulda built them from scratch!   Next time...:doh:

Hatch supports:

light_guards_and_supports_closer.JPG

hatch_supports_with_hatch(1).JPG

Headlight guards:

headlight_guards_and_hatch_supports_befo

guards_and_supports(1).JPG

I also tried to replicate the corner hold-downs for the gunner's port opening in the mantlet cover.  First, I tried Evergreen sheet, but it seemed too thick; so I popped them off and went with aluminum.   Well, they look too thin to me now.   Like Goldilocks, I'm looking for "middle ground" here! 🙂

gunner_s_port_closeup(1).JPG

gunners_port_tabs(1).JPG

The series of openings in the hull bottom, a vestige of the kit's "motorized" versions, bugged me and let light into the interior.  So I blanked them off with Evergreen sheet.   It may not be original but it is on the bottom so it won't be seen really.

bottom_patches(1).JPG

bottom_patches_in_H66(1).JPG

I'll add some stretched sprue radio aerials at the end but for now, I've used the kit's radio mast bases.    I'm thinking about removing the pioneer tools and their bracket after reading that these were seldom seen on ARVN Bulldogs.   Still gotta think about that!

And a few pics of the tank wearing the overall Humbrol 66 enamel:

SB_light_guard.JPG

SB_in._Humbrol66.JPG

rear_in_Humbrol66.JPG

port_in_H66(1).JPG

light_guards_and_driver_s_hatch_open(1).

front_in_H66(1).JPG

I had received a suggestion that Humbrol 66 dark OD enamel would be a good color, and I did spray some over the black preshading, which promptly disappeared under the dark green.   Dang.   That has happened to me before and I wonder if it's just harder thinning enamel to the point of just barely covering, or if it's an issue with my ability with the Paasche H.   Whichever, I think I can "fix" that with Flory washes when the time comes for that step. 

Speaking of next steps, I'm pondering just what step to take now.   I tried three shades of OD on a piece of car-lot plastic dealer "plates".    I'm thinking a bit of the lighter OD over the upper surfaces might be a good start.   Good color photos of ARVN M41s are rare, but all show some weather effects, with vertical streaks down the sponson sides evident.

color_comparison(1).JPG

That's about all for now folks.   I've ordered some stowage items and also some "mud" and I'm looking forward to the next steps.  I'm also looking for some crew figures that are more appropriate for ARVN troops.  I have found a set of ROK crewmen; you guys think they can be "drafted" for duty on this Bulldog?

ROK_crew.jpeg

As always, thanks for your interest and replies!   More progress to come; onward through the fog! :D

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

You sir, are a great scratch builder! I like how you tackle problems and keep pushing foreward. Looking good so far!!! 

Thank you a lot @Maddoxx77!    I sure do appreciate your nice comments.  :worthy: 

Well, they aren't problems if I can figure out a solution; the real problems are the one where I can't! 😁   Once started, these little projects take on a life of their own I guess.    Gotta keep pushin' on!  :pirate:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

When spraying over preshade, it’s important to keep your top coats extra thin. Build up the top tones in multiple thin layers. 👍

@Redcoat2966 (Simon) is an expert when it comes to coating over preshade. 

Thanks for the advice @Longbow🥂  Obviously, my top coats were still too heavy.   One of those challenges for me, gotta keep trying!   

Oh, and thanks for the "shoutout" to @Redcoat2966 as well. 🍻   Sounds like the "go to" guy for that skill. 

Yesterday, I removed the pioneer tool bracket from the front right fender, and placed a Grandt Line bolt-head on each of the locating holes for the bracket.   I imagine a crate or box of some kind will eventually "ride" there.   Also played around with a weathering technique or two...it's fun experimenting as I go along! :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Longbow said:

When spraying over preshade, it’s important to keep your top coats extra thin. Build up the top tones in multiple thin layers. 👍

@Redcoat2966 (Simon) is an expert when it comes to coating over preshade. 

4 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Thanks for the advice @Longbow🥂  Obviously, my top coats were still too heavy.   One of those challenges for me, gotta keep trying!   

Oh, and thanks for the "shoutout" to @Redcoat2966 as well. 🍻   Sounds like the "go to" guy for that skill. 

Yesterday, I removed the pioneer tool bracket from the front right fender, and placed a Grandt Line bolt-head on each of the locating holes for the bracket.   I imagine a crate or box of some kind will eventually "ride" there.   Also played around with a weathering technique or two...it's fun experimenting as I go along! :D

Just wanted to say thanks for that big thumbs up.......I wouldn't say expert, but a method that's taken some time to get right (quite some time); but many thanks. ....and don't worry Gary, play around always and always try something new. If you don't feel comfortable on practicing on an actual project, save an "old hulk" of a project and try it out first. I have to be honest, a recent project (Marder III M) I completed didn't work out as I planned....but....I did learn a hell of a lot doing it. More "don'ts" than "do's" though...:angry:. I have planned to do another if I can pick one up for cheap off Ebay.

Anyway, many thanks again for your kind comments....:yes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Caught me on the hop with this one Gary, l don’t think l have ever looked at work in progress in relation to Armour! 
What you are doing is ‘proper’ modelling, research leading to a great improvement to the base model and those improvements scratch built, very impressive! 
Nothing l could offer in the way of advice, looks like you are doing fine, I’m learning from you!

l shall tag along for the rest of the ride and look forward to seeing her in RFI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Just wanted to say thanks for that big thumbs up.......I wouldn't say expert, but a method that's taken some time to get right (quite some time); but many thanks. ....and don't worry Gary, play around always and always try something new. If you don't feel comfortable on practicing on an actual project, save an "old hulk" of a project and try it out first. I have to be honest, a recent project (Marder III M) I completed didn't work out as I planned....but....I did learn a hell of a lot doing it. More "don'ts" than "do's" though...:angry:. I have planned to do another if I can pick one up for cheap off Ebay.

Anyway, many thanks again for your kind comments....:yes:

Simon, you are very welcome, and thanks so much for your reply!    I plan to do some practice on scrap parts this coming weekend; hands on is often the best way to learn a new technique.    And one is never too old to learn something new (he says hopefully! ;) :D)!   

4 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Caught me on the hop with this one Gary, l don’t think l have ever looked at work in progress in relation to Armour! 
What you are doing is ‘proper’ modelling, research leading to a great improvement to the base model and those improvements scratch built, very impressive! 
Nothing l could offer in the way of advice, looks like you are doing fine, I’m learning from you!

l shall tag along for the rest of the ride and look forward to seeing her in RFI.

Thank you so much my friend!    Peter, I appreciate your generous comments a lot!   I'm having a lot of fun even if somewhat outside my comfort zone of aircraft builds.    Here's a look at the fender after removing the tool bracket and filling the holes with the little Grandt Line bolt-heads.   Tiny things, I tend to lose one for every two or three I manage to place correctly.   😁   I hope I've got enough to use 16 of them on the gun mantlet hold-downs I've made!     And one pic to show an experiment in paint chipping.   Not too bad even if hard to see.

bolt_heads_1.JPG

bolt_heads_2.JPG

chipping_experiment.JPG

I can see that I may need a little filler around one or two of the bolt-heads...

Thanks for your interest my friends, and have a great upcoming fin de semana!  🍻

Edited by Gary Brantley
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, Clashcityrocker said:

Nice build. You're adding more to yours than I did to mine. 

Nigel

Thank you Nigel!  I appreciate the encouragement mate! 🍻

I like your username too; The Clash are favorites of mine-The only band that matters😃

• Like 1

• Gary Brantley changed the title to M41 Walker Bulldog-paint finished-on to weathering!

Well friends, I have made a little progress on the tank.   I believe I'll call the paintwork done.  At least until I talk myself into fixing some errors. :wink:  But, it has been a fun experiment, and fun experience too!   The base color of Humbrol dark OD was over-laid with the lighter Humbrol OD and then again with Model Master Faded OD.   I went back and forth a few times with each shade and then tried a 2B art pencil for a bit of raised detail highlighting.  I also tried out a water color pencil that did have a useful effect.   In some pics, it looks too garish and too "rusty".   Prolly needs a little toning down.  I wanted it to look more like brown dirt and instead it looks like rust on armor!?!   Gotta fix that! 😁    There will be opportunities for that with some dry-brushing and high-lighting after a wash.

starboard stowage :

sb_stowage1.JPG

after "spots":

sb_stowage_close_spots.JPG

engine deck:

rear_deck_no_spots.JPG

same with spots:

rear_deck_spots.JPG

no spots yet:

overall_sb_above_no_spots.JPG

I will weather a few places with rust; gonna try out my Vallejo weathering set for that step.  Of course, those mufflers rusted severely from their extreme heat and they'll be dealt with next session.  I haven't done much weathering on the road wheels yet.  I will give them a coat of Future and then some Florry wash.  They will also probably get some mud too.   I haven't used a wash yet except for the engine deck grilles which for some reason look a bit brownish.   But I guess I'll give the tank a coat of Future and try some shade of wash to bring out more details.   After everything is final clear-coated in flat, I'll use some diluted oil-paint around the fuel fillers.  My cousin was an M113 track commander in Vietnam (at the ripe old age of 19-20!) and he's told me that they kept a canteen full of oil for lubing down the .50 M2.   I'll bet there would be oil stains around that pintle mount on this tank too!

I tried another technique; flicking a paintbrush to send various spots onto the surface.   I used three colors of paint and had mixed results I guess. Some areas look better than others to me, but hey, they are supposed to look used aren't they? :)

port_stowage_spots.JPG

port_stowage_close_spots.JPG

rear_deck_and_grilles_spots.JPG

sb_turret_top_spots.JPG

glacis_port_close_spots.JPG

above_front_final.JPG

rear_above_final.JPG

hull_rear.JPG

hull_front_spots.JPG

The tracks were first painted black with Fusion spray paint.   I bought a tin of Humbrol Track Color to try for this project and used it on all but the road pads.  I think it will look okay with a wash and some rusty drybrushing later one.   I have several stowage items that will need painting and then weathering and I need to get started with those too!

track_close.JPG

track_1.JPG

track_inside.JPG

Thanks for hanging in there with me this far!   I hope to have more progress to report soon; thanks for your interest folks!

Edited by Gary Brantley
added info
  • Like 10

10 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Nice work. They are a very ‘racy’ looking tank aren’t they! 👍

Ta mate! 🍻  Yeah, I really think they look cool!  :coolio:

5 hours ago, Clashcityrocker said:

I like the splashes you've added, looks like it's just roared through a muddy puddle.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel! 🍺 It does at that, right?   Maybe needs a lil' more mud? 🤔

3 hours ago, echen said:

Very effective spattering, easy to overdo - but IMHO you've got it just right.

Thanks for the encouragement echen! :worthy:  I appreciate the support sir!

2 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Looking good Sir! The spattering gives it so much life....

Thanks my friend!  🍻  I was hoping for that result; I've been around heavy equipment that moves and there are always grease and dirt spots.    :D

• Like 1

I say Gary! You are making a cracking job of this, l really admire your confidence in trying out these weathering techniques, so easy to get wrong but l reckon you are going to end up with a brilliant model, just hope this is a temporary visit to the “Dark Side” as l won’t to see that 109 sometime in the near future!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

I say Gary! You are making a cracking job of this, l really admire your confidence in trying out these weathering techniques, so easy to get wrong but l reckon you are going to end up with a brilliant model, just hope this is a temporary visit to the “Dark Side” as l won’t to see that 109 sometime in the near future!!

Hey my friend!   What a nice comment to wake up to here in central Texas!  :worthy: Thanks for stopping by and taking a look, and thanks so much for the nice reply Peter.   I'm having some fun with this model, and it feels much less stressful to me than an aircraft build.    I feel rather comfortable in this "zone" but I will be finishing up that old Hobbycraft Emil before too long and then I'm sure another airplane model will fall victim to my machinations too! 😁    But hey, the rough nature of armor seems to fit me...shoulda been a tanker. :D

I coated the tank with Future yesterday and will start using some Florry washes first, and then try out some of the Vallejo weathering set I bought.    I've also got some new techniques to try out on the vinyl tracks too.    Wish me luck friends!  So many Youtube videos, so little time!  ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary Brantley said:

I've also got some new techniques to try out on the vinyl tracks too. 

Please be careful what you put on vinyl tracks. Some paints are not "vinyl track friendly". Best to try on some vinyl sprue if you have any - it might save ending up with shrivelled blobs round the running gear like I did once with a Tamiya JP IV years ago. Very disappointing!😡

• Like 1

4 hours ago, echen said:

Please be careful what you put on vinyl tracks. Some paints are not "vinyl track friendly". Best to try on some vinyl sprue if you have any - it might save ending up with shrivelled blobs round the running gear like I did once with a Tamiya JP IV years ago. Very disappointing!😡

Thank you for the head's up @echen!   That would be a real pisser; so far I haven't encountered that issue.  Perhaps I was just lucky with my first two vinyl tracks.   They were almost certainly painted with either Humbrol or Modelmaster enamels back then.  I haven't seen any degradation yet from them and it's been over 25 years I reckon.  I hope these will also hold up!  Do you recall which paints caused that problem?  Thanks again for that warning echen!  🍻

Humbrol enamel with white spirit thinners. Would also depend on the track material. Still best to check if possible.

Edited by echen
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, echen said:

Humbrol enamel with white spirit thinners. Would also depend on the track material. Still best to check if possible.

Uh oh. :wink:  That's probably what I used back when I built my first two tanks, and just what I sprayed on these too.    How long did it take for a reaction to occur with your tracks?   I don't see any issues yet, but I will keep an eye on them.    

I finished the Florry washes yesterday and got a nice flat coat on everything now.  But, it looks too clean😕

49 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

How long did it take for a reaction to occur with your tracks?

Almost instant so, maybe, your work is safe? I painted the tracks then tried thinning the paint with white spirit so that it flowed into the recesses if I remember correctly. (It was probably nearly 40 years ago!)

Since then I've either not painted the tracks or, now that I have some acrylics, I colour the tracks with those - even if I use enamels on the rest.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, echen said:

Almost instant so, maybe, your work is safe? I painted the tracks then tried thinning the paint with white spirit so that it flowed into the recesses if I remember correctly. (It was probably nearly 40 years ago!)

Since then I've either not painted the tracks or, now that I have some acrylics, I colour the tracks with those - even if I use enamels on the rest.

Ah, so I imagine the damage was primarily caused by the action of the thinner reacting with the vinyl.  I would even guess that vinyl from that period might've been even more susceptible to that reaction than what we get today.   But, once bitten, twice shy, eh?  I don't blame you one bit for being cautious thereafter!  🙂

I did manage a bit more progress yesterday, including getting the mufflers rusted.  I hope to add some mud to the lower hull and running gear later and will post pics after that.  Have a great weekend everyone!  :D

Hello everyone, I want to post a few pics of my progress up to-date.   After much trepidation and viewing tutorial videos (several times!), I tackled the mufflers on this tank.  They are quite prominent and rusted badly in use.   I followed the work of a gentleman on Youtube who did indeed make his technique seem easy.   I bought the products recommended and practiced several attempts on a paint hulk helicopter model.   Then, I tried it on the tank.   It turned out okay,I guess.   I probably applied way too much paint on the first side attempted, the port one, as I went over it too much I'm sure.  But the techniques seemed to work better on the starboard mufflers.   Since applying it, the texture of the stipple seems to have diminished somewhat, thankfully. ;)

Other weathering has been done with pastel chalks and some Florry washes.   I tried two different techniques to simulate collected rust in the two recessed "cross-brace" stiffeners on the rear of the front fenders.  Port side was done with Florry wash, while I used Vallejo acrylic on the SB side.   I don't really like the SB look as well as the port side and may well paint over the SB part and try again.   

I also took a few pics of some stowage items, sort of "mocked up" where I'll probably place them.   They, and the tracks, need attention soon!  

But next step is applying some mud and splatters on the lower hull and running gear.    The best color reference pic I've found of an ARVN M41 shows the tank in an urban setting, actually having just crushed a car.  There is almost no mud evident on the tracks (just rather dusty), and some is seen inside the road wheel rims.   I'm sure there must have been some behind the running gear, on the hull sides, as well as splashes and splatters on the hull front, rear and fender edges.    So, that thought will guide me through the mud work! 😀

port_rear_fender_.JPG

sb_rear_fender_close_good.JPG

sb_mufflers_cropped.JPG

sb_mufflers_close.JPG

port_fair.JPG

port_sponson_boxes.JPG

port_front_fender_close.JPG

front_above_cropped_good.JPG

engine_deck_redone.JPG

rear_stowage_2.JPG

stowage_from_port_above.JPG

turret_top_good.JPG

port_upper_rear_close.JPG

port_from_front_above_good.JPG

port_from_front_above_cropped_good.JPG

reference pic:

ARVN_M41_5_crushing_car(1).jpeg

So, that's kinda where the Bulldog stands at the moment.   There is still lot's to do and I'm still having fun!   Things haven't all gone swimmingly but it's still onward through the fog!  Thanks for your interest and following this pilgrim's progress! 

Edited by Gary Brantley
changed pic
  • Like 8