M41 Walker Bulldog-Ending at last!

Hey, I want to thank @M3talpig, @echen, @Longbow, @Lummox and @Cerberus for your "likes" for this model! 🥃  I sure appreciate the support my friends; has anyone some advice or suggestions to offer at this point?   Thanks for the encouragement all!  :D

I added a couple scratch-built pieces yesterday.  ARVN crews often removed the pioneer tool rack on the right front fender, using that area for more stowage space.  Sometimes the rack framework was left intact, with crates/boxes placed within.  I imagined that some "in-field" modifications were also made, especially wherever young tankers had access to a welder, torch and angle-iron stock. :)   With that thought in mind, I used some brass angle and small strip of sheet-metal to make a "jerry-rigged" stowage brace (gotta have someplace to tie that stuff!:D). I also went back over the main muffler shields with more brown Vallejo to "subdue" the rust tones a bit.  I like it better now! 

outside_1_good.JPG

inside_pic_1.JPG

touched_up_mufflers.JPG

Thanks for stopping in and having a look!

• Like 18

6 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Hey, I want to thank @M3talpig, @echen, @Longbow, @Lummox and @Cerberus for your "likes" for this model! 🥃  I sure appreciate the support my friends; has anyone some advice or suggestions to offer at this point?   Thanks for the encouragement all!  :D

I added a couple scratch-built pieces yesterday.  ARVN crews often removed the pioneer tool rack on the right front fender, using that area for more stowage space.  Sometimes the rack framework was left intact, with crates/boxes placed within.  I imagined that some "in-field" modifications were also made, especially wherever young tankers had access to a welder, torch and angle-iron stock. :)   With that thought in mind, I used some brass angle and small strip of sheet-metal to make a "jerry-rigged" stowage brace (gotta have someplace to tie that stuff!:D). I also went back over the main muffler shields with more brown Vallejo to "subdue" the rust tones a bit.  I like it better now! 

outside_1_good.JPG

inside_pic_1.JPG

touched_up_mufflers.JPG

The rust on the exhaust cans looks fabulous... in fact the whole M41 is starting to come together very well indeed, one of my favourite U.S tanks, this and the M48 are defo on my to do list ...keep up the great work.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

The rust on the exhaust cans looks fabulous... in fact the whole M41 is starting to come together very well indeed, one of my favourite U.S tanks, this and the M48 are defo on my to do list ...keep up the great work.

Thanks!  I like the rust better after a bit more work.   It's a handy technique and simple too; all credit to the Youtube author's tutorial!   I sure appreciate the encouragement!  🍺

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

It’s certainly getting there. 
Don’t be afraid to push the envelope a little. 
Look at photos of the real vehicles, and experiment on a paint mule. 

Thanks Longbow!  😃 Yeah, gettin' a bit nervous now that I need to do some real weathering to the lower hull and running rear.   I have been playing with some AK mud on a paint mule Hind and liked how it worked.  I need more practice before laying it on the tank.   I have three fairly good color photos os ARVN M41s and their conditions varies by tank.  The best pic shows a Bulldog on an urban street, with no mud showing on the tracks, although there is some evident on the road wheels, and surely quite a bit along the lower hull.  It has been a helpful pic for this project, and I'll post it again below.    But yes, I think she's still too clean too. 😉

13 minutes ago, echen said:

Sooty exhaust staining around the tailpipes and on the rear fenders - maybe?

Yeah...I dunno.   It had a six-cylinder (opposed) gasoline engine; wonder if they did belch some smoke on start-up?   I believe you are right about the tailpipe tips.  Probably wouldn't see that there, and I can easily correct that one.    I took the rear fender cue from this photo, showing the urban scene with a crushed car.    Is that brown color on the rear fender exhaust staining, or maybe rust, maybe dirt?    I know, close call from one pic.   I'll keep looking around for anymore evidence and again, pretty easy to "fix".  Thanks so much for the suggestion!  🥃

ARVN_M41_5_crushing_car(1).jpeg

• Like 5

One minor embellishment maybe, to your fine model: to thin down the exhaust somewhat (like the one on the photo) some people rotate a tiny drillbit or they twist the tip of a hobby knife blade or scalpel blade inside the exhaust pipe opening until it becomes really "skinny". I too am a fan of your rust! 

Peter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Peter2 said:

One minor embellishment maybe, to your fine model: to thin down the exhaust somewhat (like the one on the photo) some people rotate a tiny drillbit or they twist the tip of a hobby knife blade or scalpel blade inside the exhaust pipe opening until it becomes really "skinny". I too am a fan of your rust! 

Peter

Good day Peter @Peter2😀  The 6 hour difference sometimes catches me on the hop, and I didn't see your nice comments until this morning, over here in Texas.  What a great suggestion!     I had intended to thin down the aluminium tubing used on the auxiliary muffler but simply forget that step. I will certainly follow your recommendation though and give them all a bit of work.   Thanks for taking time to make it, and I certainly appreciate the compliments as well Peter!  :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Arthur_Dent said:

That's fantastic work, I'd say that you've nailed the rust effects pretty much perfectly. 

Thank you Arthur!  That's so kind of you to say sir.   I do appreciate your opinion!  🍻    I'm trying to get 'er done!. :D 

18 minutes ago, Tojo72 said:

Looking good Gary,that's some great weathering

Mighty nice thing to say Tony!  Thank you sir, I'm glad you're liking her so far!  🥃 

I've been giving the tracks a lil' attention too, and soon it's on to the crates and boxes!  😀

On 03/05/2022 at 21:53, Gary Brantley said:

outside_1_good.JPG

inside_pic_1.JPG

touched_up_mufflers.JPG

That looks great! Mufflers too, nice and rusty 😉

• Thanks 1

On 03/05/2022 at 23:56, Gary Brantley said:

Thanks!  I like the rust better after a bit more work.   It's a handy technique and simple too; all credit to the Youtube author's tutorial!   I sure appreciate the encouragement!  🍺

Thanks Longbow!  😃 Yeah, gettin' a bit nervous now that I need to do some real weathering to the lower hull and running rear.   I have been playing with some AK mud on a paint mule Hind and liked how it worked.  I need more practice before laying it on the tank.   I have three fairly good color photos os ARVN M41s and their conditions varies by tank.  The best pic shows a Bulldog on an urban street, with no mud showing on the tracks, although there is some evident on the road wheels, and surely quite a bit along the lower hull.  It has been a helpful pic for this project, and I'll post it again below.    But yes, I think she's still too clean too. 😉

Yeah...I dunno.   It had a six-cylinder (opposed) gasoline engine; wonder if they did belch some smoke on start-up?   I believe you are right about the tailpipe tips.  Probably wouldn't see that there, and I can easily correct that one.    I took the rear fender cue from this photo, showing the urban scene with a crushed car.    Is that brown color on the rear fender exhaust staining, or maybe rust, maybe dirt?    I know, close call from one pic.   I'll keep looking around for anymore evidence and again, pretty easy to "fix".  Thanks so much for the suggestion!  🥃

ARVN_M41_5_crushing_car(1).jpeg

Good reference photo. I did an M110 from firebase Sally a while ago. I gave it some reddish dust tones. When i look at this picture i see the same color. A dried brown red mud on the lower parts of the hull and the tracks and weels. And a fine red dust filter on the back and the flat surfaces. 

I did mine with Vallejo redbrown and some pastel pigments. 

20220213_222924

I hope this helps. 

• Like 4

Just touching base Gary, your rusting effects are really excellent and l’m very impressed, it’s going to be a good one! Busy for me on the farm next week but l will keep tabs on your progress. 
kind regards

Peter

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

That looks great! Mufflers too, nice and rusty 😉

Thanks @Maddoxx77!    Maybe too rusty? ;)  Hard to get a good balance sometimes but I think they look okay now.    I'm not too sure about throwing that "great" around yet, still along way to go!  But I do appreciate the support my friend!  Have a great Saturday!  🍻

21 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Good reference photo. I did an M110 from firebase Sally a while ago. I gave it some reddish dust tones. When i look at this picture i see the same color. A dried brown red mud on the lower parts of the hull and the tracks and weels. And a fine red dust filter on the back and the flat surfaces. 

I did mine with Vallejo redbrown and some pastel pigments. 

20220213_222924

I hope this helps. 

Yes, that is helpful!   And a damn good looking model Maddoxx! :clap2:That is some fine weathering!  Well done indeed. :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Just touching base Gary, your rusting effects are really excellent and l’m very impressed, it’s going to be a good one! Busy for me on the farm next week but l will keep tabs on your progress. 
kind regards

Peter

Hey Peter!    Good to see your comments my friend!    That rust turned out pretty good but it's all due to the "teacher".    Here's the video I used for a guide:

using Vallejo acrylics to create rusty exhausts

Stay safe on the farm and stop by again!  And here's one for you!

Taxes on the farmer feeds us all-Ry Cooder

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThreatLvlMidafternoon said:

This ones coming together rather handsomely! Really like the exhaust work

Thank you sir!   I really appreciate that! 🍻

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Your enthusiasm and speed of building is impressive. I wondered whether you were perhaps rushing too much but the results tend to show otherwide. It's becoming an interesting model right before my eyes.

Why, thanks Bertie!  🍻  That is so kind of you to say.   I do believe that is the first time anyone has called my rate of work impressive.   I tend to think of myself as one of the world's slowest modelers, as it takes me forever to finish a 1/48 airplane.  ;)    I'm glad the enthusiasm is coming through because it has been a fun project and I feel like I'm learning new stuff as I go.     Perhaps it's not too late for old dogs and new tricks?  :D  

Thanks to all of you who have stopped by for a visit and had a look at the Bulldog.  I sincerely appreciate your interest and especially all the nice comments!  Have a grand weekend...and as always, onward through the fog! :pirate:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

How’s it going Gary? Impatiently waiting for the next instalment!!!

Hi Peter!   Great to hear from you!   I've been busier than a pair of jumper cables at a family reunion.  :D  I haven't touched the tank in two weeks.    I've had several other "tasks" to get done and a few other issues as well, but there will soon be more to report.    Hang on for an update in a few days and thanks for the bump my friend!   Enjoy the upcoming weekend.🍺

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hola, Gary! So this is where you are parking your Bulldog. Man, it looks great. I had no idea what a great scratchbuilder you are. Love those rusted exhausts. I know you are busier than pair of jumper cables ..., but it sure would be nice to see some more progress. I bought one of those Optivisors a couple of years ago. I have only used it once. I prefer those magnifier reading glasses you can get at Costco. My eyes are still hanging in there though.  Cheers. (My very first message on Britmodeler!)

EB

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, eb801 said:

Hola, Gary! So this is where you are parking your Bulldog. Man, it looks great. I had no idea what a great scratchbuilder you are. Love those rusted exhausts. I know you are busier than pair of jumper cables ..., but it sure would be nice to see some more progress. I bought one of those Optivisors a couple of years ago. I have only used it once. I prefer those magnifier reading glasses you can get at Costco. My eyes are still hanging in there though.  Cheers. (My very first message on Britmodeler!)

EB

Well, hello to you too EB!   :D Thank you so much for those kind comments!     High praise from an expert modeler:worthy:  I feel honored to be the recipient of your first post here at BM; there are some pretty good ol' boys 'round here, and some damned good modelers too.    I hope to post some progress soon, still dealing with an issue or two but I feel the need to scratch that modeling itch!    I'll probably tackle some crates and boxes next, please stay tuned!  :D

7 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Very good work Gary, paintwork looks superb...

Ed

Much appreciated sir! :thumbsup:   Thanks for the generous comments Ed!  🍻

• Like 2

Good job on Tamiyas venerable M41 Gary ! :thumbsup:

If an aircraft modeller gets tired on his modelling subjects armor kits are a good match to keep up with the hobby.

Your WiP makes me to re think my idea to build mine entirely oob.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BerndM said:

Good job on Tamiyas venerable M41 Gary ! :thumbsup:

If an aircraft modeller gets tired on his modelling subjects armor kits are a good match to keep up with the hobby.

Your WiP makes me to re think my idea to build mine entirely oob.

Great to hear from you @BerndM:D  Thank you for commenting, I sure appreciate the support and encouragement.   I'm finding this project to be a lot of fun and a great diversion from aircraft builds. It just seems a lot less stressful to me (so far! ;)).   I am also glad that this tank might've given you some ideas for your own M41 build; I'm look forward to seeing that one too!  👍 

Thanks again Bernd! 🍻

• Like 1