Sherman M4A3E8 6th Armoured Division Mühlhausen Germany April 1945 - 1/35 Ryefield Model

Ray_W

38 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Could be the serial # covered over ? 

Or possibly a name for the tank. The size looks typical for this although you nearly always just see the left hand side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Looks like it says "USS Constitution"

😁 It does.

I do not know if US tank squadrons (assuming the term squadron is correct for US armour) had a similar naming convention to the British, that is when it was applied, of taking the first letter of the name from the squadron letter. It would be interesting to know.

Could also have serial numbers included.  

• Like 1

One thing I am finding with "modern" kits is the manufacturer's desire to cover the options but then do not give you much information on the rhyme or reason for the options. Leaving it up to the builder. Seeing I jump around various modelling genres and subjects, I am rarely an expert on one type (maybe Spitfire Mk.I cockpits - a very limited field). Invariably I hit an impasse when it comes to options without explanation.

For example, this build, you have three drive sprocket options - assemblies B5 or B6 or B7. We can all rejoice at RFM's attention to detail. 🤔 Sadly no explanation. So on to the internet. Now a big element of my enjoyment in the hobby is learning a new subject so I have seen a massive increase in my knowledge of M4 things like what A3 and E8 means. HVSS systems, 75 and 76 mm guns, wet ammo storage, 23" wide track, large crew hatches, split vs non-split loader hatches - if fitted at all, aerial locations and the list goes on and on. I wish people like RFM, who have obviously done all the work, could provide a hint, a little more info as to the 'why' on the likely option choices. In this case I have a grainy image of my chosen subject and could just make out the correct option. It's B7 :party: ..... I think 🙄

BM M4A3E8 WIP36

Next volute spring assemblies. Umm, the instructions are this ....  

BM M4A3E8 WIP37

Does this mean I can mix and match as I wish or should A19 be fitted with A19 etc. etc? There is only sufficient parts on the two "A" sprues. No spares. You have to use them all. That makes it a little easier. It then becomes one of those kid's games where you have a number of pictures and you have to spot the difference. Carefully look with failing light and eyesight. Nothing seems different. Ah ha! Got it! The end of the volute spring finishes in different positions.

BM M4A3E8 WIP38

Key assumption: Seeing the volute spring was just placed in its holder and the end of the spring could be anywhere, RFM gives you the option of mixing them up.

Now trying to see the end of the volute spring on period photos is quite tricky and the reality is I am going to cover them in mud so there will not be much to see. However, before you get to this stage you firstly start looking for some other more critical variation, if it exists, that will have an impact on assembly. A simple note from RFM as to why of the options would solve this.

Excuse me now while I make sure my assumption is correct. Onto Sherman Minutia and The Sherman Tank Site. Maybe Steven Zaloga has made specific mention of this somewhere, now where is that Sherman book? 

Ray

• Like 3

The running gear and some thoughts on how I assembled some very glue-less parts.

Having made up the support frames, cleaned up the shock absorbers, supporting members and swing arms and having made a decision on what to do with the volute springs it was time to cement it all together. The you hit the instructions.

BM M4A3E8 WIP39

Where's the glue? Not even a tiny little bit of cement even though I did not expect much knowing that it is to retain some movement. This will be one exceptional balancing act for ham-fisted modellers - me especially.

BM M4A3E8 WIP41

Must be a clue later in the instructions. Mmmm ... only face showing a glued joint is that tiny one on assembly B8 glued to part A30. Now that is one tricky assembly.

BM M4A3E8 WIP40

I was just about to glue it all together when the final piece of the jigsaw puzzle fell into place. In the earlier image I have circled the clevis halves A57 and A58 in yellow. They are missing an arrow or comment saying to glue to part A29. 

Placing the small clevis half into the cylinder while capturing the swing arm, you can carefully cement the part allowing the swing arm to still operate.

BM M4A3E8 WIP42

I found the fit somewhat sloppy (some were a lovely slight interference fit) and needed to use clamping tweezers on most and then carefully apply cement (Tamiya Extra Thin).

BM M4A3E8 WIP43

The result was actually a surprisingly strong sub-assembly while retaining movement.

BM M4A3E8 WIP46

Then you can assemble the sub-assemblies and use the single glue location to part A30 to complete. Not too bad when you know what you're doing.

BM M4A3E8 WIP44

Here are the troops all lined up. Reminds me of Space Invaders.

BM M4A3E8 WIP47

Next: Let's prepare some wheels.

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
Added last image
  • Like 6

@edjbartos @PlaStix

Hi Ed & Stix,

I think my photography makes it look overly complicated. The difficult part is sorting out the instructions. Once that was done, they came together quickly. If you have a particularly voracious carpet monster, then this is possibly a kit to avoid, I wore holes in the knees of my jeans crawling around the floor.

I have been pushing on and will start the stowage soon. Before this, I wanted to plan my figures and this involved some modifications mainly to the 0.50 cal gunner. You may recall I am using this image for inspiration.

BM M4A3E8 WIP11

It was a shame to cut up the superb Panzer Art figure but, oh well. he was what I wanted as a starting point. I used a spare (and skinny) Tamiya arm as the basis for his right arm, saving the lovely Panzer Art Thompson SMG arm for something else. An M3 "Grease Gun" is probably more appropriate for April 1945 anyway.

BM M4A3E8 WIP51

I cut and re-orientated just about everything with the exception of his head and torso. Cutting, pinning with copper wire, bending and checking and getting everything ready for a Milliput session and the expected further shaping. This will include giving him another thickness of 'fabric' on his scrawny right arm.

BM M4A3E8 WIP49

Finally got that left leg and boot positioned to keep him upright and yet still keep it humanly possible. Like the guy in the photo, quite a balancing act on the pioneer tools.

BM M4A3E8 WIP48

Mühlhausen surrendered to the 6th Armoured Division April 5, 1945 without a fight. The two rear deck 'observers' are sharing a cigarette, watching surrender proceedings and catching up on some news. The only change here are the head positions. 

BM M4A3E8 WIP50

I am still playing around with the Commander in the cupola figure. He will not hold me up as having achieved a position for everyone on the rear deck. I can put them aside and move on to the stowage. I'll come back to them later. Times a ticking. Want to get the tank finished at least. It will be tight.

Ray

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Great thread and build so far Ray. Keep it up!

Thanks Bertie. I'll keep posting till the end. :suicide:

On 5/21/2022 at 7:41 PM, Ray_W said:

Next: Let's prepare some wheels.

On a previous post I said next up were wheels. Well, in fact, I did so. Not as exciting as playing toy soldiers so I skipped over it. Here they are.

BM M4A3E8 WIP52

All wheels had a mould seam that I removed by chucking each on an appropriate drill size using the solid end of the drill bit with a slight interference fit, then, using my cordless drill run slow, holding each wheel against some 600 grit taped to a flat surface. Not that painful.

With the main vehicle coming together and a tray full of associated running gear items, I can feel a big painting session coming up soon. 

Ray

• Like 2

Hi Ray. Great to see there has been more progress and those figures look really nicely detailed and I'm impressed by the work you have done on them. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

I'm impressed by the work you have done on them.

Thanks Stix, a bit rough at the moment. Anyway, I have swung back to the Sherman and hoping to get some time on it tonight. I want some paint on by the weekend.

• Like 2

Those figures look really good, not sure if I have the time to add any figures to my builds, it would be great just to get the Sherman's into the gallery by the end of the GB.

At least my latest kit build does not have lots of optional parts since it was a very early M4, the individual tracks and PE sand shields are going to be the problem areas for me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

it would be great just to get the Sherman's into the gallery by the end of the GB.

🤣 I will be too!