Sherman M4A3E8 6th Armoured Division Mühlhausen Germany April 1945 - 1/35 Ryefield Model

Ray_W

My contribution to the GB will be RFM's very nice 1/35 Sherman M4A3E8. 

BM M4A3E8 WIP2

I have been looking for a suitable setting for this kit. I did not want to load it with sand bags and evoke the wrath of General George S. Patton.

BM M4A3E8 WIP6

Or cover it up and hide RFM's handiwork, be it that this would make an interesting subject and the decals and resin are available.

BM M4A3E8 WIP5

I think a concrete covered glacis plate is just plain ugly and Lee @Longbow is already doing an excellent job with the application of applique armour. I wanted a subject a little more naked. Finally, I decided on this:

BM M4A3E8 WIP1

An "Easy 8" on the railway platform at Mühlhausen in early April 1945. An interesting subject in a simple diorama setting. The subject appears to have the two-tone olive drab/black scheme - even better. Another image:

BM M4A3E8 WIP4

I have the figures organised for the setting. A Tamiya boxing for some of the crew figures.

BM M4A3E8 WIP3

And on the way:

PanzerArt to be modified to represent the guy hanging off the .50 cal.

BM M4A3E8 WIP8

Alpine Miniatures for the guy at the rear of the turret:

BM M4A3E8 WIP7

Another Alpine Miniatures again on the deck but to the side of the turret:

BM M4A3E8 WIP9

The title is what is on everyone's mind - "Why don't they just surrender?"

Ray

• Like 14

• Ray_W changed the title to "Why don't they just surrender?" Sherman M4A3E8 6th Armoured Division Mühlhausen Germany April 1945 - 1/35 Ryefield Model
  • Ray_W changed the title to Sherman M4A3E8 6th Armoured Division Mühlhausen Germany April 1945 - 1/35 Ryefield Model
10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome aboard with a pretty good looking option

Thanks Dennis, I am putting a big effort in to meet my GB commitments at the moment. Planning to get these three done within time. I'll finish the EA-18G this week - should see painting commence today. The MiG starts Monday.

GB Commitments

The Sherman will also commence early next week with the track assembly. A good item to start and get out of the way. I find these workable link tracks are not too bad doing a bit at a time.

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Just out of interest, have you made it back to Oz yet?

Hi Bob, yes made it back and why I have a GB backlog that I am clearing. No modelling for a couple of months. I also successfully transported a large number of my builds. The odd pitot tube and antenna wiring suffered. Nothing major. Easy enough to repair. I sent them as check-in luggage in a large hard shell bag packed in boxes surrounded with soft packing with minimal movement. The models were packed in with polyester fibre (like teddy bear filler). This worked well. 

Polyester fibre

I am now back in Europe where I find I can dedicate more time to the modelling bench. Hence the rush!

Ray

• Like 4

Hi Ray and welcome to the GB. Great to have you here. And what a great looking project in prospect! Really looking forward to seeing your scene in progress. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Terrific choice Ray and a whole bunch of figures....one day I'll "figure" out how to do those!

Looking forward to watching your build come together. 

Darryl 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Really looking forward to seeing your scene in progress.

Hi Stix, looking forward to getting into this. 

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

one day I'll "figure" out how to do those

One day I will too! Plenty of practice in this scene. Huge complement of figures and a fair investment to boot to get what I wanted. My thoughts on the scene are that an infantry and tank officer are on the rear deck having a cigarette (Alpine Miniatures) having discussed what is needed after getting a better view. The crew having gained a little more elevation up on the railway platform, be it a very exposed position. The Commander will be in the cupola using binoculars. I ordered another PanzerArt figure: 

BM M4A3E8 WIP10

Driver will be hatch open and watching. Bow Gunner/Co-Driver manning the 50 cal. The Gunner and Loader buttoned up (Phew! Less to paint).

Everyone is watching and waiting. Based somewhat on this:

BM M4A3E8 WIP11

Not a lot of time remaining in the GB to get the scene complete. First priority will the tank and get that in the gallery and then if need be carry the rest over to a figure and diorama WIP as need be.   

2 hours ago, edjbartos said:

good luck with the build

Thanks Ed. I'll start gluing some plastic this weekend.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I also successfully transported a large number of my builds. The odd pitot tube and antenna wiring suffered. Nothing major. Easy enough to repair. I sent them as check-in luggage in a large hard shell bag packed in boxes surrounded with soft packing with minimal movement. The models were packed in with polyester fibre (like teddy bear filler). This worked well. 

Bet that was an interesting experience going through customs.

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I am now back in Europe where I find I can dedicate more time to the modelling bench. Hence the rush!

You never mentioned that you weren't staying down under.  You're a proper boomerang coming back.  :rofl:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Thanks Dennis, I am putting a big effort in to meet my GB commitments at the moment. Planning to get these three done within time. I'll finish the EA-18G this week - should see painting commence today. The MiG starts Monday.

GB Commitments

The Sherman will also commence early next week with the track assembly. A good item to start and get out of the way. I find these workable link tracks are not too bad doing a bit at a time.

Hi Bob, yes made it back and why I have a GB backlog that I am clearing. No modelling for a couple of months. I also successfully transported a large number of my builds. The odd pitot tube and antenna wiring suffered. Nothing major. Easy enough to repair. I sent them as check-in luggage in a large hard shell bag packed in boxes surrounded with soft packing with minimal movement. The models were packed in with polyester fibre (like teddy bear filler). This worked well. 

Polyester fibre

Ray

Is there a build log on the Growler ?

7 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Is there a build log on the Growler ?

You'll find it here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Finally, the kit is on the bench and I am into it. Let's get into the tedium and make some good progress while the enthusiasm level is sky high. The production line has started.

BM M4A3E8 WIP14

Ray

• Like 6

On 5/9/2022 at 11:04 PM, PlaStix said:

Great to see you are underway with the tracks

Coming together now with two other GB's finished. Nothing but my M4A3E8 on the bench. Tracks have actually been fun. OK I must be a bit 🤪. Pictures tomorrow.

• Like 1

Tracks.

I completed the tracks in 4 sessions and with the first two sessions interrupted by other projects on the go. I did not find the process too tedious and the time investment was not that great. Gluing together was rapid and prior parts clean up was minimal using my sharp Tamiya cutters to remove parts from the sprue. Probably even better if you have your GodHand nippers. The Horns do have some seam lines that need clean up.

Here is the technique I used. You may use another way. I did find this method located well and made gluing easy. The pictures make it seem more complicated than it actually was. Assembly was simple and fast. I did use all 4 jigs provided and had quite a production line going.

The tricky part is getting the hand right with the track hollow pin to the outside. So, you are making up a group like the two on the left and another group like the two on the right. You will find it easier to get the hand right if you keep the track pin sprue gates attached when you assemble. More about this later.

BM M4A3E8 WIP15

RFM say to "assemble 76 pieces on the per side". The jigs make up 6 links with a joiner link to be added so 10 of these provide (6+1) X 10 = 70 links plus a short link of (5 +1) and you have 76 per side. Confused? RFM instructions aren't that clear using the word "pieces". In the end it is easier to just count track horns. Maybe they want 77. At least I have plenty of spares. I decided I would make 75 links (counting track horns), leaving one off for potential adjustment. 

So here we go. Let's start assembling track.

BM M4A3E8 WIP17

1. I take the track jigs and mark the lower half end with a sharpie. Also, doing the same with the top half of the jig. This is to ensure the correct orientation when assembling the bits.

2. Drop into the lower jig half the track pads. 

3. Lay in place the track pins while still attached to their sprue gate. The sprue gate makes it easier to get the orientation correct. I do the first group of track links (the 75) with the sprue gate to the left. The next group (subsequent 75) to the right. 

4. Lay in place the matching top track pad components. No glue used anywhere as yet.

BM M4A3E8 WIP18

5. I hold all in place with the flat of a steel rule and separate the sprue gate.

6. Grab the top half of the jig suitably marked with a Sharpie to ensure that I keep the orientation of the track pins correct.

7. Assemble the jig. Still no glue used. 

8. Gently lift the top half of the jig and all the parts are retained leaving the lower pads ready for glue.

BM M4A3E8 WIP19

9. Put a dab of Tamiya Extra Thin in each of the small recess in each of the lower pads.

10. Re-assemble the jig making sure you have kept the orientation correct.

11. Leave it a minute or a bit less and carefully separate.

12.  Lift the finished track link section out of the jig with some flat tweezers.

BM M4A3E8 WIP20

I then lay the finished track section back in the bottom part of the jig. Glue in the horns and reassemble for alignment and separate and Voila. One section done. Twenty one to go. 

Really wasn't as bad as it seemed. Soon had all the small sections complete and ready for joining. You can see how I have the two groups sorted to ensure I keep the track pin orientation correct.

BM M4A3E8 WIP21

I then took one of the track jigs and cut it up so I could use it as a guide for joining the small sections. 

BM M4A3E8 WIP22

Laid the pieces in the bottom section and assembled and glued in place. I didn't use the top section.

BM M4A3E8 WIP23

Just kept working along the track length and, before you know it, this part of the build is done.

BM M4A3E8 WIP24

Nice job to have out of the way.

Ray 

• Like 9

I did not follow the RFM instruction booklet's approach of building a section at a time, each with complete details. Too many bits getting in the way and does not ensure the fit between all the significant sections is what it should be. So, I ended up with a very dog-eared instruction booklet as I jumped backwards and forwards from section to section making up the major components. All the time, deciding what to add and what not as I built it up without, hopefully, backing myself into a corner by leaving something critical off or difficult to fit at a later stage.

BM M4A3E8 WIP25

The parts location devices are not great (Tamiya it ain't) but, typical of modern kits, parts are sized very accurately so, if you ensure the joints are good and true, you end up with a very clean, square build. This task being made much easier with the minimalist construction method that I followed while checking alignments part to part, section to section. 

It goes together very nicely. The turret, superstructure and hull main components are ready to start seeing some detail. 

BM M4A3E8 WIP26

It's a fun build. Shame to have to leave the bench now. I'm looking forward to the next stage. 

Ray

• Like 7

Hi Ray. Looks like you have been making excellent progress!! It really is looking superb.  And I'm very impressed with your step by step guide for the tracks! I'm sure anyone making this kit, or ones with similar tracks, very useful. We'll done!

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks Ed @edjbartos and Stix @PlaStix All is coming together nicely and I am thoroughly enjoying the build. Good to be out of the aircraft for a breather and just going for it (the joy of AFV's), gluing as much as possible before the paint. :frantic:

No issues to date. 

BM M4A3E8 WIP30

Thankfully, not a lot of PE and I don't think it needs it. For example, the fenders are nicely thin. Sure you could go Voyager but the kit ain't bad. 

BM M4A3E8 WIP31

RFM provide a flat PE option for the periscope guards. As these were round section and the plastic versions are, I think, a better representation and not ridiculously thick, I stuck with the plastic. I will however use the supplied PE for the headlight guards. 

BM M4A3E8 WIP32

I am changing the grab handles to bent 0.35 mm copper wire ...  as you do. 

BM M4A3E8 WIP33

I do not know what that weird cylinder and piping arrangement is at the front of the turret. Let me know what it is. Highly likely I will not remove it as I cannot see it or un-see it in the couple of images of my intended subject.

BM M4A3E8 WIP4

Another thing you may be able to help me with are these markings. Any idea?

BM M4A3E8 WIP1a

I've got no idea. I'm thinking of just doing an equivalent blur.

BM M4A3E8 WIP28

The story I am putting together to try and explain why they would put themselves in such an exposed position is that they want to be seen as German troops surrender to other troops from 6th Armoured Division. They're exercising some control by placing themselves in an obvious position with the main gun and the 0.5 cal pointed towards the action. That'll work with the figures I have.

Much still to do. We'll keep going.

BM M4A3E8 WIP34

Ray

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I do not know what that weird cylinder and piping arrangement is at the front of the turret. Let me know what it is. Highly

Its a searchlight that folds down on a remote handle. Most U.S. police cars use them and they're referred to as “Johnny lights”. 

https://www.amazon.com/Unity-94014-0002-Watt-Post-Mount-Spotlight/dp/B004QNX91E/ref=asc_df_B004QNX91E/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312128189269&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5291110931984958960&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021610&hvtargid=pla-633815227917&psc=1

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Its a searchlight that folds down on a remote handle.

Thanks Dennis. Now I'll have to work out if it was likely to be fitted to my subject. 

Looking at WW2 images it seems a rarity. I thought I'd found it in this famous river crossing image (sometimes colourised) but on closer inspection I think, in this case, it is a cognac bottle (behind the teddy bear (horse) thing on the gun mantlet).  By the way, looking at the commander I'd say they swapped Brad Pitt for Rami Malek.

BM M4A3E8 WIP35

I have a suspicion I'll be removing it.

• Like 2