A Wulf in Lion's Clothing - A Captive Ta 152H-1 +++FINISHED and RFI Posted+++

A masterclass in masking (is that a Maskerclass? Or a Markerclass? 🤣). Whatever it is, it's damnably impressive,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Looking great - and the masking work is very impressive.

I hadn't realised this (not sure it's been mentioned here yet), but Hobby2000 have recently re-released Dragon's 1/48 Ta152 kit with this very same marking option.    

https://www.armahobby.com/manufacturer/hobby2000/h2k48018-focke-wulf-ta-152-h-1-ex-dragon-cartograf.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Werdna said:

Looking great - and the masking work is very impressive.

I hadn't realised this (not sure it's been mentioned here yet), but Hobby2000 have recently re-released Dragon's 1/48 Ta152 kit with this very same marking option.    

https://www.armahobby.com/manufacturer/hobby2000/h2k48018-focke-wulf-ta-152-h-1-ex-dragon-cartograf.html

Oho, that could be interesting!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Werdna said:

Hobby2000 have recently re-released Dragon's 1/48 Ta152 kit with this very same marking option.    

.. just picked one up. Tempted to do it like this too.  FWIW they give red for the spinner - it should be bright green for a machine flown by the Stab

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mark.au said:

So how does it stack up to the original?

Pretty spot on Mark. Really good job!

I put just a little too much white into the port fuselage roundel leaving the black portions of the cross less pronounced than on the real thing); and there's one minuscule bleed through at the 10 o'clock position on the upper port wing roundel which will be very easy to fix.

Agree. An easy fix with your airbrush and masking skills.

I won't paint the spinner red, as that was [I believe] added for the Farnborough show, so it'll be its original colour which I haven't confirmed yet.

Again, agree. In the photo taken just after capture in Germany the spinner appears to be similar (in grey terms) to the engine panels just behind it. And lighter than the remains of the Balkenkreuz on the fuselage. So probably not black.

2 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

FWIW they give red for the spinner - it should be bright green for a machine flown by the Stab

I agree Neil that Stab a/c did have bright green spinners (like the famous Fw190D-13 Yellow 10 836017), but this one appears a bit darker?

13 hours ago, mark.au said:

Back now from a couple of day’s  hiking in the Kosciusko National Park, including the summit of the highest peak in Australia (it’s a grander phrase than it is a feat of mountaineering).

A bit like Ben Nevis then? Stunning photos Mark!

13 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

note the underwing crosses

Thanks Troy. Those, as in the photo above, would have been taken after the Americans re-painted the German markings over the RAF ones.

13 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

It certainly is Troy. The debate on late war German aircraft is endless. The latest Hobby 2000 release of this kit appears to suggest Dunkelgrun/Grauviolett (I can't make out the paint numbers on the instructions).

Looking forward to the next installment Mark.

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Fritag said:

Now that looks stunning.  Very envious.  Is it far from where you live Mark?  Although ‘far’ is p’raps a relative concept with a different meaning in Australia to the UK!

You’ve incorporated and mastered the cutter beautifully!.

Thanks.  Kosciusko is around 2.5hr from Canberra - hope skip and a jump in Australian terms :)

11 hours ago, Werdna said:

That’s some interesting timing!  I still like painted markings over decals - looks like they’ve gone for the Farnborough look.

10 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

it should be bright green for a machine flown by the Stab

9 hours ago, Johnson said:

Again, agree. In the photo taken just after capture in Germany the spinner appears to be similar (in grey terms) to the engine panels just behind it. And lighter than the remains of the Balkenkreuz on the fuselage. So probably not black.

I agree Neil that Stab a/c did have bright green spinners (like the famous Fw190D-13 Yellow 10 836017), but this one appears a bit darker?

I’ve gone with bright green for the time being, though it’s bugging me that the photo shows it to be a bit darker.  I’ll probably end up changing it…

A bit like Ben Nevis then? Stunning photos Mark!

Probably something like that, yes.  The summit is at around 2300m

Looking forward to the next installment Mark.

Thanks, and thanks to all for the comments.

Stencils next, cheers.

• Like 2

While updates have been scarce progress has nevertheless been made.  I have almost finished the undercarriage, all that remains is its assembly and then attachment.

spacer.png

I followed my usual process of black basing followed by base colour.  Then a wash with dark goop and a dry brush to pop the highlights.  Finally, a flat clear.  Once the undercarriage is attached I’ll complete the final weathering with some pastels.

Speaking of weathering, I’ve completed the weathering to the underside of the airframe.  I went for a used but not beaten-up look, a relatively new airframe but one hadn’t had a lot of TLC in its last several weeks of use.

spacer.png

I used a wash applied with a brush to accent access panels and control surfaces.  The rest of the grime was applied by airbrush. As I did on the Spitfire earlier this year, I used goop dotted on the surface and blown back with the airbrush to simulate the oil leaks under the engine.  

This level of weathering and grime is supposition of course, but I think there’s a logic to it.

I’ll leave the model on its back now and complete the underside before setting it on its wheels to finish the uppers.  There’s still all the gun barrels and sundry antennas to attach, as well as the undercarriage itself.

There’s an outside chance I’ll have it completed by the end of the weekend.

Cheers.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

This level of weathering and grime is supposition of course, but I think there’s a logic to it.

Mark,

There is always a logic to your work, which is why it is so good. Looking awesome mate - not long to the finish line,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

Excellent weathering Mark, just right.

This is a bit late, but I came across these instructions in my decals stash. I'm posting a low-res image for information. This is as they think it looked at the Farnborough display. FD's interpretation of the colours, pattern etc seems very close to yours Mark. No NMF on the underside but I think it should be there.

y4mUyeH8Es8CiQNsfwY1VzJU59kRB3rz-RDqGqeH

Low resolution copy for information and research purposes.

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/28/2022 at 9:59 PM, Dunny said:

Mark,

There is always a logic to your work, which is why it is so good. Looking awesome mate - not long to the finish line,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, I appreciate that comment very much.

23 hours ago, Johnson said:

Excellent weathering Mark, just right.

This is a bit late, but I came across these instructions in my decals stash. I'm posting a low-res image for information. This is as they think it looked at the Farnborough display. FD's interpretation of the colours, pattern etc seems very close to yours Mark. No NMF on the underside but I think it should be there.

y4mUyeH8Es8CiQNsfwY1VzJU59kRB3rz-RDqGqeH

Low resolution copy for information and research purposes.

Cheers,

Well I reckon we’re on the same page, yes.  Thanks for posting that, more options for anyone following along later who might use this thread as a resource in their own build.

19 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Underside weathering looking good Mark. I like your stain effects.  Great work fella 

Chris 

Thanks Chris, I enjoy the staining and have to force myself to stop sometimes!

This evening’s session saw the completion of the underside.

spacer.png

The only drama was self inflicted when I had a small spill of gunmetal paint which I somehow managed to smear on a wingtip.  Otherwise, aside from phaffing around with the main gear it didn’t lose anything, nor drop a dollop of CA glue where it ought not be.

The kit provided PE for the antennas and aileron braces(?) which I didn’t paint but did heat to red hot to give them a natural metal look.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I used brass rod for the cannon barrels instead of the kit plastic.  It was in painting them that I had the spill…. I have an idea on how to represent a hollow barrel with paint which I’ll try tomorrow.

spacer.png

With the bits and pieces added, I finished it all off with a final coat of flat future and set it aside to dry.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I’ll finish this one tomorrow, the next update may well include the bench-top finish shots.

Cheers.

• Like 14

Lovely work Mark - I look forward to seeing your 'hollow barrel' treatment. Almost there now!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

Thanks gents.

5 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely work Mark - I look forward to seeing your 'hollow barrel' treatment. Almost there now!

Cheers,

Roger

Here it is Roger.  Painted the barrels, then the ends were painted flat black and finally highlighted the edges with a silver pencil to create the illusion.

spacer.png

It stands scrutiny from anything beyond 10cm or so viewing distance.

Cheers.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, mark.au said:

Painted the barrels, then the ends were painted flat black and finally highlighted the edges with a silver pencil to create the illusion.

Agree with Dunny, very impressive. All looking very good Mark, nearly there.

• Thanks 1

Really enjoying this thread, and the work is excellent :) 

Re: the gun barrels - I'm pretty sure the guns were removed upon capture, so in principle, this Ta152 would not have had any by the time it was repainted.  There's a pic on p2 which seems to show the wing with the gun ports covered over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Werdna said:

Really enjoying this thread, and the work is excellent :) 

Re: the gun barrels - I'm pretty sure the guns were removed upon capture, so in principle, this Ta152 would not have had any by the time it was repainted.  There's a pic on p2 which seems to show the wing with the gun ports covered over.

Doh. 🤦‍♂️   Luckily, they are not glued so an easy fix.  Thanks again, not the first time you’ve saved me.  Many thanks gents…

@Dunny, @Johnson, @bigbadbadge, and @jackroadkill

• Like 3

The final steps were a little less fraught than usual with this one, especially in light of the swinging fever, chills, pounding headache and sore throat I began to experience Saturday.  And a negative RAT.

When I turned the Wulf over and sat it on its wheels a few tasks remained to complete it.

• Remove the guns and represent the covers with squares of grey decal sheet
  • Airbrush weathering; exhaust and other stains 
  • Remove the canopy masking (and deal with a glue mark on the inside by slightly extending the framing paintwork to cover it)
  • Added the decals to the canopy which represent the spacers 
  • Paint and weather the exhausts.  I mixed burnt sienna with burnt iron metallic as the base coat.  I painted the end of the pipes black (like the gun barrels) and then I dry brushed a beige to lighten the exhaust stacks as they appear that way in the photos.
  • I used a coloured pencil to dirty up the starboard fuselage roundel 
  • In the end, I opted to paint the spinner light green as close examination of the phots and comparison in black and white pointed to that being the colour.
  • I looked very hard at the photos and cannot see an antenna wire so I didn’t add one.
  • Added the wingtip and tail nav lights.

Anyway, without further verbiage, some bench top photos of the finished model.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So that’s it, barring the need for any last minute corrections that may come to light…

Thanks for following along, and more thanks for all of the offered tips, corrections and enhancements.

Cheers

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• mark.au changed the title to A Wulf in Lion's Clothing - A Captive Ta 152H-1 +++FINISHED+++

Looks great Mark, I like the weathering and your enterpretation of key details in the photos , I find that particularly fascinating and do like your almost forensic approach to this.  

Another great model , cracking work. 

Hope you feel better soon.

Chris

• Thanks 1