SAS Rogue Heroes

nheather

11 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

It's very moving and humbling. 

Indeed, I expect so. The book does not shy away from this and while I was reasonably aware of SAS desert activity not so much in Europe. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watched it all, an enjoyable TV period drama for once :)

As to how accurate it is.., a few liberties were taken in the name

of simplifying the story so not as to confuse the audience,

and some of the characterisations seemed a bit... questionable...

• Like 1

I'm disapointed to admit it's a chapter of WWII I had only a vague knowledge of; what I did know was mostly down to stories from boy's annuals like the the Victor & Hotspur when I was young. I'd heard of Stirling and Paddy Mayne but nothing of their characters and no real detail of their exploits.  So like others have said I watched it as an enjoyable drama accepting the story was probably over-dramatised & liberties taken for a 21st century audience. On reading further I was quite astonished to find much of it was based on real events and possibly even played down.

On reflection I find it interesting that of all the WWII events turned into war movies in the post-war era, the story of the SAS in the desert (or elsewhere) does not seem to have ever made it to the big screen. With really interesting characters, "boy's own" real action and the impact on the war itself, it almost writes itself plus side episodes such as Churchill's son's involvement etc.  Even bio-pics of some of the key characters would make a good basis for a movie (I understand David Stirling had a pretty colourful life post-war too...).  I'm sure someone will correct me and tell me that its been done!

My father, serving in the RAF in North Africa at the time, told me there were posters seeking volunteers to join the SAS put up on camp, but they were largely ignored as no one had the first idea what the SAS was. People assumed it was some sort of new air transport unit looking for pilots or aircrew...!  Thinking about it, probably just as well for me....! 🤔       

Edited by RichG

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

Although not SAS, this is a good film.  Lots of vehicles, etc...LRDG.

Thanks. Never heard of it, but I think I need to check it out as it sounds like a good movie in its own right. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a good attempt made to replicate Axis aircraft. Only us aviation geeks will spot they were blowing up ME 108s and Buchons.

Would they have had access to C47s in 1941, or would they have jumped from Witleys or Halifax?

• 4 weeks later...

I got Macintyre's book for Christmas and am very much enjoying it. Seems numerous events were conflated or factually massaged in the interest of brevity and entertainment, but I think that broadly speaking the TV series carries the spirit of the book (and therefore actual events) pretty well.